SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Rental Car damage that I didn't cause... how weird is this?

lowspark
13 years ago

Last month we rented a car when we were visiting my son in New York and took a LOVELY drive to the finger lakes where we visited multiple wineries and met up with Jo and Diane. Everything went swimmingly. We returned the rental car and flew back home and everything was fine. Or so we thought.

I got a letter from the rental agency that there was damage to the car and that since I'd declined their coverage, I owed them over $550, and did I want my insurance to pay for it or would I just be giving them my credit card number. I was shocked!! There was absolutely no damage to the car and I was just completely horrified! Five hundred and fifty dollars is some chunk o' change!

So I called the number on the letter today, multiple times and waited anywhere from six minutes to fifteen before giving up. I just kept thinking, ok, send me a bill, make it so I can't reach you, then accuse me of not paying! What's up with that!!??

I finally called the customer service line and got through almost immediately. They gave me a different phone number to call, got through to a live person on that line quickly as well. And THAT person gave me a direct phone number for the person handling my case. And then believe it or not, that person answered on the first try! Whew!

I was all ready to argue and stomp my foot and ask how they could send me a letter AFTER the fact and why didn't the check in person point out the damage and what proof did they have that there even was damage and how could I be sure they even did repairs at all??? But after a three minute conversation with her, she removed the charges and sent me a confirming email that the case was closed. Boy, what a load off my mind!! So it all turned out well.

But I just can't help but wonder how many people just assume there was damage they didn't notice and pay without pursuing it further, or give up after too long on hold. I have to wonder how long I would have remained on hold had I not hung up, and if they EVER would have picked up.

Whadaya think of that?

Comments (23)