Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Southern members - please check in

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 8:56

I thought I'd start a new thread due to the horrible tornadoes that hit the south. I think we have members in the areas that got hit. I hope everyone is okay. Can y'all let us know if you're okay, or not?

This devastation is just terrible.

Sally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Southern members - please check in

I just heard from Rob33, she was okay this morning. I set an email to BeverlyAL and Jude too--no response yet.

o

Sally, I was just coming here to do the very same thing, so I'm opeing everyone checks in soon. Teresa is OK, I saw her on another thread, but I'm also wondering about Glenda, she's in Alabama too, I think.

Annie

o

Really terrible storms. It may be a while before areas have power, so I'll say a prayer for everyone.

Nancy

o
Please check in

Just talked to Jude, she is good.

o

I had no idea this had happened until a coworker mentioned it to me. I still cannot grasp what has happened and will have to check the news when I get home. I didn't watch much news this morning because most of it was Royal Wedding reporting, which I have absolutely zero interest in. It seems that the UK is interested in this disaster, however - see link below.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those in the devastated areas and hope we hear from those in Alabama soon.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: UK News Report

o

Lars, thanks (or maybe not) for providing us with this graphic look at the degree of devistation these folks are experiencing. I can't imagine how one recovers from this.

Cathy

o
Wedding

Oh, and I'm with you on the wedding!

o

I almost don't know what to say after seeing the pictures. My heart goes out to everyone with a loss, but especially to those who are injured and have lost loved ones. Beyond the horrible human toll, it's just unimaginable to see the piles of splinters that once were homes.

I hope that everyone we know on the forum is OK, and am glad to see those who have checked in.

Lee

o

Unfortunately, the death toll continues to rise. My heart goes out to all!

o

Those same pictures, and more, have been all over Yahoo news yesterday and today, and the death toll is up to 242 and growing. The devastation is horrible, and hopefully, that storm won't cause any more problems as it travels north.

Annie

o

Very worried, still no answer on BeverlyAL's phone or cell.

o

We still haven't heard from Beverly. I really really hope she checks in with someone. Hopefully here.

o

The power of those storms is incomprehensible. I have been following the news all day. The Weather Channel has done a great job of covering this story.

I do wish we would hear from Beverly.

o

I am checking in too hoping to hear all is well. And people in Tenn please check in too. Our friends live near Brentwood and I guess it was bad there too......

Alexa

o

Glenda-AL is okay, thank goodness; she lives in Birmingham which was hit. She posted on the Kitchen Forum today.

o

I just got home from work and wanted to check in first thing to see if everyone has reported in. I sure hope Beverly is okay. I looked for the map that shows where we live, but didn't find it.

We've been affected indirectly by tornadoes twice - once when we lived in Wichita Falls, TX when 45 people were killed by a tornado. We had a van, and were able to help some friends clean up their house which was struck. Then, several years ago a tornado that ravaged Oklahoma flattened Dh's brother's home. He and his son survived, miraculously. Dh went up to help them out. Both were horrible storms with massive damage, but neither compares with what happened yesterday. It's just too bad for words.

I'm praying for all those affected.

Sally

o

I just talked to a relative in Alabama. She said that folks may have been spared the damage but there is little electricity and many cell towers are down.

o

On the news last night they talked to some parents here in Forth Worth that were on the phone with their daughter, who's attending the University of Alabama, when the tornado struck. She had just said it's coming right at them, when the phone went dead. Luckily for them, they were able to regain communication with her about 10 minutes later. She and others with her had to be dug out of debris, but were okay. Other parents, of course, weren't so lucky. The lack of communication has to be so frustrating.

Sally

o

I*'m glad Glenda is OK, I sure hope we can hear from Beverly soon. Death toll is up above 300 and climbing.

I've been in two tornadoes here. Once when I was in high school, a tornado removed parts of the roof and boke most of the windows, but there were only minor injuries.

The second time was right here in White Cloud, the girls and I headed for the basement. When we came back up the neighbor's house had a lot of damage and many big oak trees were uprooted but Amanda's bikini was still hanging over the deck rail where it had been drying. The thing I will never forget is the noise...

To this day, I have a crank radio, bottled water and sleeping bags and blankets that are kept in the basement. I have enough canned goods down there to feed everyone for months, as long as the water holds out.

Annie

o

Cathy finally got a hold of Beverly. She is ok, without power, and has a lot with which to deal. But she is pleased everyone was concerned and trying to find her. I still hope she'll get a chance to check in, but I've heard it's to take a literal couple of weeks for her town to get power. UGH!

o

Phew, I'm glad our group is okay, but feeling awful for the thousands who sustained total devastation. Sending prayers and good wishes!

o

Oh boy. Things are getting worse.

o

Glad to hear that we heard from Beverly. I was wondering about Tracey too but I see that she posted on Annie's baking thread so I assume she is okay....Glenda too.

Let's hope May is a calmer month for all of us.

David

o

I'm so glad to hear about Beverly, although it's got to be frustrating dealing without power. It's unfathomable to think of what everyone is dealing with in the areas affected.

Sally

o

I'm so glad Beverly is okay. The damage in Alabama is unfathomable. Here in west TN we did not have anything nearly as bad as that. Most of the damage here was from straight line winds. I could hear the wind whistling through my house that night and it sounded like a freight train outside. Took a few Iphone pics of the neighborhood. Some of these trees were two stories high with 3 ft diameter trunks. Unbelievable what the wind can do.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Here in Lakeland we did not get any damage from that weather but we did get some severe thunderstorms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here