SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkguy

Privacy laws yet lack of privacy at the drugstore

pkguy
11 years ago

Most everywhere these days if you ask a question somewhere you're told they can't tell you anything because of privacy laws or whatever. Ontario here has pretty strict privacy laws in that regard. How here's my beef.
A while back I went to my local drugstore to get a prescription filled and when they handed it to me they started explaining the ins and outs of it. Meanwhile other people are standing around or sitting in the chairs waiiting or just happen to be shopping in close proximity. Everyone can hear and soon know what your ailment is. It's worse in a smaller city like this where there's virtually 2 degrees of seperation. How do I know if my neighbors aren't just out of sight etc.
Again today I went in and while I was standing there a woman was picking up her prescription and the pharmacist started asking her questions which got into a conversation. Within 3 minutes I knew this womans complete medical history, that she'd had parts of her bowels removed etc. I don't think she or the pharmacist even realized. After they were done I spoke to the pharmacist ( I like the staff there a lot) and mentioned it to her. They do have a small room off to the side she told me for consultations but doesn't seem like they utilize it unless asked. I never even knew it was there..

Even the setup of the "consult" room isn't that great because you still have to come out and go back to the pharmacy counter and pay etc..

So I'm just wondering. Am I the only person who this sort of thing bothers.
What do you guys do in this situation.

It's not a small little store either, it's one of those big chain drug stores. While there's numerous other ones in town they all seem to be set up the same way for lack of privacy.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor