Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Checking on Florida...

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 21:20

OK, California has been having torrential rains and flooding, now I see Florida is getting floods and tornados, the news said Jacksonville.

I'm afraid that I don't know where any of the Florida members live, exactly, but we have several of them. Cathy (Mustangs), Bobby, Arlene (beachlily), Shaun.

Are you all OK and out of harm's way?

Annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Checking on Florida...

A-OK here. Thanks for checking.

o

It was brutal here yesterday but we came through okay. LakeMayor (visiting here from MI) was very close to tornadic activity; she emailed me to say she is okay.

Thanks for thinking of us.

Cathy

o

Just fine here on the beach. We received 5.25" of rain over 3 days, but no damage. We really needed the rain! Beautiful sunny morning right now. Thanks for asking!

o

We had a small tornado go through the schoolyard , it took a tree down on the parents pick up driveway. One tornado took out tents, damaged 40 planes at the Sun and Fun Fly in held here in Lakeland every year at this time of year. A semi trailer was blown over on its side and landed on two small cars by high wind gusts of 88 mph . I was lucky enough to get off the crossing guard duty before the bad weather started. I could see the really dark storm clouds starting to get circular movement going just before I got off duty in the am. The only damage at our house was the TV antenna, it got bent and twisted out of position. Reception was terrible, every station was scrambled in the picture and sound was choppy. But other than that we made it trough OK.

o

I also live in Lakeland. We must have had a funnel cloud come over our neighborhood (actually was sighted by a neighbor). I was sitting on the floor in my bedroom matching socks and I suddenly realized I couldn't see the socks on the floor! I looked up and it was pitch black outside. I grabbed the dogs and two pillows, ran for the bathroom that is in the center of the house and got in the shower stall. Waited a few minutes and when I came out, it was light again.

One neighbor had the top of one of his oaks torn off and there are other trees down. I guess I was a little late in getting to the shower. I think when I looked up - it was already over us.

Daylilydayzed - did you see the picture of the trampoline off of Hallam? That is where I live. The guy's house inside the wall there is the one who lost the trees. The funnel cloud probably lifted the trampoline out of its yard in Sugartree.

What school do you do duty at?

We are supposed to have bad weather tomorrow.

o

Checking in to see how all our Floridians are doing. Stay safe!

o

I'm fine in Orlando, btw thanks for checking though :o) We did get some pretty ugly storms but we really did need the rain and nothing devastating happened this time, so that's good.

o

We had 65 homes in our county that were destroyed or damaged.

Bobby, Daylily, and Dboston, glad to hear you all are okay.

o

Oh geez, Cathy, I knew some areas really got hit hard. I don't suppose your horrible neighbor's house is gone, is it?

I'm happy to hear everyone is safe.

Annie

o

All is fine here in Lakeland. Nothing like last week.
Thanks for asking.

o

Annie, No, the McMansion is still there. It eerks me when the electricity goes out (which happens a lot here) and I hear their enormous whole house backup generator clicking on so they don't miss a beat with electricity.

o

I'm glad you all are safe. Wow Cathy, I'm glad your house wasn't one of the 65. Storms of any kind are scary.

Thanks to all of you for checking in again.

Lee

o

Again, we got about a 1/4" of rain, some wind, and nothing scary. The way it works in Fl--when a storm approaches from the west, people on the west side of FL get hit fairly hard and the strength of the storm declines as it crosses the state. Not always, just most of the time. That's why my little place in the sun seldom gets rough weather.

o

Mbostonsaid:
"Daylilydayzed - did you see the picture of the trampoline off of Hallam? That is where I live. The guy's house inside the wall there is the one who lost the trees. The funnel cloud probably lifted the trampoline out of its yard in Sugartree.

What school do you do duty at?

We are supposed to have bad weather tomorrow."

Yes I saw the picture of the trampoline on the TV news. I work at the Crystal Lake Elementary school. I live behind the school on Spicewood Dr. I do not drive to work I walk since it is so close.

I was so glad that we didn't have another round of the bad weather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here