SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Would you like to see my garden and yard?

caflowerluver
12 years ago

It was such a nice Spring day I took a bunch of pictures of how things look now. Here is a view of my garden and the property. Still have lots of red oak leaf lettuce and fennel from my Fall/Winter garden. The artichoke is doing great as is the chives in front of it. They like all the rain we have been having.

And the veggies I planted over a week ago in the lettuce bed are starting to come up. I have enough rhubarb to make the first pie of the year. The flowers that are in bloom are the CA poppy, nasturtium, and calendula. The rosemary is a huge 3 ft. bush that is in bloom. The irises are up but no blooms yet. The big tree is a Monterey cypress. Here is the gazebo DH built about 7+ years ago. I have about 30 rose bushes planted around it.

Hope you enjoyed the tour.

Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Tour of my garden

Comments (27)

• jessyf
    12 years ago

*thud*

and

*thud*

and

*thud*

(Pictures #1, #3, #5)

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope "thud" is a good thing. LOL!

That huge Monterey Cypress we planted over 20 years ago is on the chopping block. Nice tree but the roots are invasive. DH has already cut down 12 smaller Cypress trees because they were killing off other plants like my roses and his redwoods. That's life out in the country.
    Clare

• Related Discussions

• jessyf
    12 years ago

(Yup, those were 'thuds' of being impressed enough to 'faint' LOL)

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

Just stunning! I am overwhelmed by my little corner lot and lawn.

Eileen

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. DH is a very talented guy. We have planted every tree, except for the native oaks which the squirrels planted, on this place and did all the landscaping for the last 26 years. And all the maintenance. Lately though I have been saying, "I am getting too old for this!" LOL!
    Clare

• annie1992
    12 years ago

That's beautiful, Clare, and very impressive. Nice gazebo too, and I like your little long helper!

You reminded me that I want to plant some fennel, and some lettuce. It was 80F here a couple of days last week, but now it's back down in the 50s where it belongs so I can plant some lettuce.

I have ghost peppers and artichokes started in my kitchen but not a single flower, go figure. I do have two rose bushes in the front of the house that have survived me for about 20 years, in spite of my backing over them with the Jeep on a regular basis. I don't trim them or mulch them or feed them or water them, so they're tough enough I've kept them, LOL. they sure don't look anything like yours...

Annie

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Very nice, Clare. I can see all the hard work you have put in to it. Keep it up!

Nancy

• lindac
    12 years ago

Beautiful!! How much land do you have?....room for trees and a rabbit proof lettuce cage and calendula and....and....
    Just lovely/1

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

Gorgeous, Clare! You've got talent, that's for sure!

Helene

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We live up in the Santa Cruz Mts. on 2.5 acres. Never run out of things to do. There is always something that needs working on. Keeps us out of trouble. LOL
    Thanks.
    Clare

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Beautiful! You make me miss Monterey. Love seeing California poppies on California soil. Loved all the flowers! And vistas.

Thanks for sharing.

-Robin

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Woweee. What a beautiful space. I appreciate how much work goes into keeping a garden like that. Too bad the cypress must go. I have a maple with shallow roots that cause problems for me but I just can't bring myself to have the tree cut down.

Sometimes I wish I had more space for gardening, but realistically I can't keep up with what I have now and I'm sure not getting any younger.

Thanks for sharing. You give me inspiration.

• trixietx
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!!

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I threw in a bunch of sunset pictures from the last 26 years (in May) that I have taken. We do get spectacular sunsets as it sets over the ocean. You use to be able to see the ocean from out LR window when we first moved here but now all the trees are too tall.
    Clare

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

Beautiful! And of course, Weiner Dogs Rule!

• Lars
    12 years ago

You look very secluded - I do not see any neighbors' houses! We get exactly the same cloud formations at sunset here, and I photographed a few of them. Too bad that you cannot still see the ocean - maybe your could build a tower. We also planted some of the same orange Marigolds that you have, and maybe next year I'll plant poppy seeds.

The first time I saw a Monterey Cypress outside of Monterey was in Ciudad de Oaxaca, Mexico. The city of Monterey had given the tree to the city of Oaxaca, and it had grown straight up, just like yours!

I love your gazebo, but it seems a bit far from the house. Do you use it for dining outside? That's the only reason I would want it closer to the house.

BTW, I'm typing this is Word because my browser here at work is acting up and shuts itself down randomly, causing me to lose many posts that I tried to make yesterday.

Thanks for sharing!

Lars

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments.

gina_w - Have you seen Dachshund Rules. Funny and so true!

Lars - All the neighboors are a pretty good distance away. That is what we like most about the place. Unfortunately just because we can't see them doesn't mean we can't hear them. Some of them like to play their music really loud. I prefer the sounds of nature.
    The gazebo is that far away because it was built over a concrete cattle & horse trough. Up until the 1950's all the land around here was a ranch then it was broken up into 5 and 10 acre plots then again in the 1970's into 2.5 - 5 acre plots. When it is hot, it is a nice place to sit because you get breezes from all side. We have had wine down at the gazebo but no meals.
    There are lots of Monterey cypress trees around here. You can see the most famous one at Monterey Bay, only about an hour drive from here. I would love to build a tower but I don't think DH would go for that. LOL

Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Monterey Cypress

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

Cute! Odo has a Dogster page, I forgot all about it!

I wonder if I can live in a rural area. It's tempting to think about retiring that way - on the other hand (channeling Tevye) I wonder about the upkeep.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gina w - Elvira has a Dogster Page too but I haven't updated it in about 6 years! Living in the country is great but sure is a lot of work.
    Clare

• nancylouise5me
    12 years ago

Thanks for the pictures Clare. Everything is still pretty much the color of brown where I am. We have had snowflakes this morning, rain and hail this afternoon. The sun poked out her head a little while ago. Who knows what will come this evening! Can't wait for warmer weather now. I want some green in my life! lol NancyLouise

• Bizzo
    12 years ago

Clare - Can I come play in your yard?

Beautiful!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

2.5 acres of paradise on earth!

Very nive caged salad garden with PVC pipe construction.

That looks like a great tumbler for compost?

You need a pond near the pavillion.

I Had lunch with a fellow. While we were eating, he got a phone call, at one point he said to the caller, "Sorry, I can write it down. I don't have a pen. Why don't you e. mail me." So I hand him my pan and a piece of paper. He didn't take the pen.

After the call, he said to me, "DC, It's not that I didn't have a pen, I can't write very well because I have Parkinson's."

"That's strange, I have known you for over ten years, you seem very normal to me."

"Well DC, in the begining, I could hardly walk. then I took up Yoga, it changed everything. I do it in the morning before work, and after dinner. I have a pond in my garden where I do my Yoga."

dcarch

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

"nive" should be "nice"

Need someone to fix my keyboard. :-)

dcarch

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dcarch - A pond sounds nice. No goldfish though, because we have raccoons. Interesting about Yoga. I did it many many years ago.
    Clare

• Lars
    12 years ago

I'm planning on taking up Yoga again myself and bought myself some yoga DVDs for my birthday. My father has Parkinson's, but I think it's too late for him to take up yoga, and I think that I may be developing arthritis in the middle fingers of both hands. I've given my doctor a note to check that when I see him again next month.

We had a pond in Venice, and in the 15 years that I was there, we only had one raccoon attack, but it was devastating. At one time I had over seventy fish and two to four frogs. The raccoon murdered my one remaining frog, and it was very sad.

Pam should be able to fix the keyboard!

I had not thought of doing yoga outside, but that might be a good idea. I have enough yard space, and I also have enough concrete patio space for the mats that I recently bought. I have the mats in the sewing/exercise/guest room, which I think I need to pare down a bit - maybe to just a sewing/guest room.

Lars

• chase_gw
    12 years ago

What a beautiful yard Clare! Makes me miss my gardens, especially this time of year.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Yes, I am available for keyboard repair. I do not guarantee my work. Hire me at your own risk.