SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

I got a garden plot!!!!!

lpinkmountain
14 years ago

I just found out today and I am SO HAPPY, that I got a plot in the local community garden. I finally decided that I am fed up with trying to grow food in my yard. Between the unsightliness issues and the vermin and the creeping shade from the trees I planted (that's a GOOD thing for me hanging out there, something had to give. My yard is postage stamp sized, and I'd actually prefer to just sit out there and relax and look at pretty things instead of trying to get a harvest. So I finally bit the bullet and applied for a garden plot. It is about 10 min. away next to a very nice local park.

Now, what to grow. Of course tomatoes. I tried romano last year and mine were inedible, but it was a bad tomato year. Hot peppers, and I can probably expand my repertoire in that area. I have grown jalepeno, hot bannana and hot cherry, but I might expand to some of the mid range ones. I don't actually like habenero, but I might try cayenne or ancho. Don't know if my growing season is long enough.

What else I'm not sure. I just want to grow things to put up. If they'll let me plant raspberries I'll go for those. Other ideas are fava beans, some other heirloom beans like cranberry or anasazi, green beans and maybe italian style ones, pea pods, thai basil, maybe peppers (I have a lot of trouble growing those), carrots, and some of the smaller type cukes like gherkins if I can find them. I had better get going on those seeds. Then herbs in between, especially basil and dill. Maybe parsly, which I can never get to grow. Some type of squash, not a common one that I can get anywhere though. Maybe those cute japanese eggplants. Maybe a fru fru potato just for fun, although they take up a lot of space. Rhubarb if they'll let me.

Lettuce and most herbs I will keep to pots around my house where I can snip them quick.

Variety suggestions welcome. What works good for you? I need easy and low maintenance. No sense growing something like cauliflower, much as I love it, it would take me two weeks to eat just one. Maybe broccoli rabe though, since it is so expensive. Oh yeah, and beets!

Comments (12)