Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reporting back.

Posted by aptosca (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 19:09

I just got back from the doctor's office. It is a mix of good and bad. He showed me the scans of the MRI and what it shows is inconclusive. He went over it slice by slice. (I guess that is why he wanted to discuss it in the office instead of an email.) No tumors or major strokes, which is good. I do have more white spots than is normal for someone my age, but you do get them when you age. It might have been caused by unnoticeable mini strokes but hard to say since I didn't have any symptoms of any kind of stroke.

So the only thing it could be is the beginning of Parkinson's. I have to go back to get checked over again between 4-6 months to see if there is any progression of the disease. Unless the tremors get very bad, he suggests I do not take the medication for the symptoms until I really need to take it. So basically just live with it.

Thanks again for all your good wishes, thoughts and prayers.
Clare

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reporting back.

Glad to hear it is not worse, but I'm sure you will be somewhat anxious about the results in 4-6 months. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts.

Lars

o

Lars - Thanks. I know the news wasn't going to be good news but I guess it is the lesser of evils.
Clare

o

I'm sorry to hear the news.

Eileen

o

I don't know whether to be happy or not. I guess I'll be happy that maybe things won't be so bad. I'm very happy it's not a malignant tumor!

Keep the faith.

o

Oh, Clare, that must have been trying for you. And the next 6 months will probably stretch out, too. Our next lunch, whenever you're ready, we'll have that Margarita with our chips and salsa!

o

Oh dear, Clare, I guess that's better than a malignant brain tumor or a stroke, but still not good.

I think "wait and see" is much harder than doing something. (sigh)

I'll be hoping that there is no progression of symptoms and that nothing gets any worse.

Annie

o

sorry....I was voting for a stroke....which is over and obviously caused minimal damage.
If the doctor you are seeing is not a neurologist....get a referral and take you pictures to him.

o

The doctor is a neurologist/neurological surgeon, so I think he knows his stuff. Like I said before - it's a mix, not the best news but not the worst either. Just have to wait and see.

Thanks everyone for your support.
Clare

o

So was the diagnosis from process of elimination? At any rate, would you email me through gardenweb? My email here works, and I have some info that may or may not interest you.

o

gina-w - Afraid I couldn't send you an email through gardenweb. I tried but the email page didn't come up. You can send me one - I hope. Liked your blog. I also have a weiner dog with a punim! Sometimes I just stare at her face for the longest time. Best cure for whatever ails you.
Clare

o

(((Clare))) Wish it was the best news for you. Keep us updated. You're in my thoughts.

-Robin

o

Clare, I hope the caring and support of your family and all your friends help ease this trying time. We are all sending good wishes and pulling for you.

Kathleen

o

Thinking of you! My Dad had Parkinson's. If affected his mind and his balance. He never had a tremor.

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

o

Thanks again everyone for your kind words and thinking of me. I am hanging in there. I must admit I am going through a roller coaster of emotions right now. I am still adjusting to the news.
Clare

o

Clare, I was really hoping for an "all clear", but at least Parkinson's is treatable. Wishing you all the best.

Linda

o

Clare, I'm sure sorry you have had to deal with this and now are somewhat in limbo. If only you really could just ignore it until the 4 to 6 month checkups. Here's to hoping any progression is extremely slow and responds well to any future treatments/medication.

o

Clare, I've read this post before, but I bet I didn't have time to say anything then, because I don't see where I've posted. I thought I did.

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about you, and wish the news was better, that they found something they could cure easily. Maybe the good news is that Parkinsons is getting so much attention now with famous people bringing it to the forefront. There's lots of research going into it. I bet there's improvements in the treatment happening all the time. I'll keep thinking of you.

Sally

o

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. Such a great bunch of people on this forum. Like I said before, I am still in the adjustment phase and probably will be for awhile. But I am not going to just curl up in a ball. I have planted my Spring veggie garden, bought 4 new roses to revitalize my rose bed and trying new recipes. I still have a million things I want to do! LOL
Clare

o

Clare, I was just thinking of you. I like your attitude, I think that will help a lot in dealing with this.

A million things? Sounds like you have a good start, LOL.

Annie

o

Thanks Annie! Actually it is a million and one. LOL
Clare

o

Clare - thinking of you!

o

bizzo - Thanks, that is very kind of you.

And thanks to everyone else who has kept me in their thoughts and has sent me good wishes. I just take it one day at a time.
Clare

o

You're going to be our inspiration!

o

compumom - Thanks. I will try to be.
Clare

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here