SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Now unemployed...

wizardnm
14 years ago

This a hard for me to write about. I actually got fired from my job...there, I said it! No, I didn't do anything wrong and the reason I was given, was because gross sales were down in 2009. I'm not going to say who I worked for, many of you already know. I just don't want this post to come up on a search because of using the company's name. For those who don't know I was the store manager of a gourmet shop owned by manufacturer of jarred jams, salsa's and cooking sauces.

But I am really bummed! I enjoyed my job and the product. But yes, sales were down by about 15% for my store. The other stores for the company were not down as much. Those stores are located in larger towns than mine and because those towns offer more to do during inclement weather, which we had more than our share of last summer. We are a beach and boating town in the summer. I also had a new store open last summer that was the first direct competition that the store I worked for has had in about 20 years, in my town.

In general, the downtown had almost a block of empty buildings last summer which didn't look good. Michigan has been suffering with the economy and that meant fewer summer tourists. It used to be that you were lucky to even find a parking place and we never had any empty store fronts. There has always been a few new shops to replace those that didn't make it. That has changed and I think furnacing has kept prospective shop owners at bay.

I took the lower sales volume into consideration right away and my year end figures were all better than previous years, except for the gross sales. My store profit was about the same as most years. So I was really in shock to hear that after just one year as manager, myself and entire staff would be replaced. I had great people working in the store and planning on returning. BTW, the store is always closed Jan thru mid-April and it's not easy to find good help that is OK with a 3-5 month layoff. College age and retired workers are the ones who seem to work out the best. The store was always neat, clean, stocked and well staffed. Customers were always approached in a very friendly manner and we were enthusiastic and very knowledgeable about the products.

I'm explaining all this because I was in total shock. But I did keep my cool. I asked questions and I gave reasons. My experience level in retail is about as high as it gets, I managed a large clothing store for over ten years, have owned my own store and was also a very successful sales rep selling to retailers and distributors for years. I wasn't doing this for the pay, I was doing it because I really enjoy people and retailing. Before being offered the managers job last spring, I had worked for this company for 4 years as a part time worker.

I quit working as a sales rep when we moved 'up north' to get away from all the travel. Upon moving here we started our own deli, fun but too much work for almost no paycheck at all.

I'm over being shocked, this all happened two weeks ago. As I think about the coming summer, I'm excited about not working and all the things I want to do. We are in the middle of some major remodeling and now I can really concentrate on my kitchen redo.

But here's my question.....does this sound like age discrimination to you? I am now over 60 (yikes!) but feel about 40... so it's hard for me to think about being old enough to lose a job because of age. I'm not trying to build a case against anyone, I just am trying to figure out the real reason I lost a job I enjoyed and IMHO was perfect for.

Nancy

Comments (50)