SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

Suicide of a friend

goldgirl
13 years ago

I got word yesterday that a man my husband and I knew through a working relationship, but considered a friend, killed himself last month at age 63.

He was a gifted carpenter - a guy who could do anything with wood, with incredible attention to detail and great pride in his work. Someone referred him to us when we we owned our first home and couldn't find anyone we could afford to build some bookcases. He was kind, funny, and loved our dogs. I often called him our "Eldon," the ever-present house painter from the show Murphy Brown.

He was also a loner, with a sad past as a recovering alcoholic with troubled family relationships. However, he was very private and rarely shared details. Occasionally, we'd get a glimpse, but never knew for sure what was going on in his life. He loved to read, although his views seemed a bit skewed at times. I thought he was one of the few people I knew who tended to "feel" things as deeply as I do.

We moved around a bit and he always did work for us. He'd disappear for months, but his main job was building houses and we'd always re-connect when he was in-between jobs. He used to say that he considered the time he spent with us as his "vacation" because we never put deadlines on him. We'd invite him to our annual holiday parties so he could network, and friends were always clamoring for him to work for them.

We left the state six years ago and had called him several times, as recently as a few months ago, to see if he'd come up here to work on some projects. He never called back, but that wasn't unusual. Friends of ours in Maryland who hired him told me yesterday that he was in a very "dark" place and had become less and less reliable.

His family found their number in his work papers and called to let them know. We don't have any details, and probably never will. I can't even find an obituary; it's almost like he never existed.

I'm trying to focus on the thought that he's free now from whatever demons were torturing him. But I feel so terribly sad that he could have felt so hopeless. I can't imagine what family members of suicide victims go through dealing with this.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a little tribute to Jeff. He was a gem.

Sue

Comments (15)