SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie_que12

3 1/2 months ago.....

susie_que
13 years ago

I went through an ordeal that really rocked my life.

I had a mild screw up at work and was placed on suspension with intent to terminate...I really do not want to re-live the details-it was not pretty LOL.

While waiting for the company to make up its mind about me, I began an intensive job search filling out dozens of on line apps and pressing the flesh in an effort to subsidize my finances.

The job search went on a few days and I made a promise to take the first offer I got.

So on Thur afternnon I filled out my last on line employment app....if you've applied for any job on line they put you though a skills assessment...a test so to speak. I did this last one at about 5 pm and I felt I bombed it!! I rushed through it ect...

I was feeling a little sorry for myself with my old job hanging on a thread, making TONS of phone calls and not hearing anything from those who said they would call....I was pretty low.

So imagine my surprize when at about 3 pm the next day....Friday afternoon the phone rings. The caller ID says the name of the company whose on line app I totally slopped up the day before!!

I HAD AN INTERVIEW!!!

Monday I had an interview, Tuesday I went for my drug screen and Friday I started work.

It was the first offer and I stayed true to my promise and took it without question, ok thats a lie, I did in fact question it because of who it was!

In the 2-3 weeks that followed I got so many more job offers!! It seemed like every day I was getting calls!

There was one place Wegmans, that I applied for way back in October...well before this mess started. I re-applied and got called for a phone interveiw....never heard back8-(

So I plugged along at this new job. I was now working in a job I have never done before with a company I would have never assumed would be so "good to work for", and I was LOVING IT!!!

I mean serously...its been so much fun!! The pay, well its not at all what I was making but when you factor the short commute, bridge tolls, Philly city wage tax and union dues, it was only $3 less in the long run.

Plus at my old job we were only allowed to work the max 20 hours...never a minute more!

The people I work with are true gems! I have very easily made great friends with everyone from the cleaners to the upper managment, even plan to begin socializing outside of work with a few I have made a real connection with.

I just got my 3 month evaluation and I exceed in all areas beyond expectations and so while they cannot offer raises at 3 months, I have been asked if I'd be intersted in full time or in moving into a supervisory position!!

Hell YES!!

So it just goes to show you that no matter what happens to you in life, opportunity sometimes can creep up on ya and if you are wise enough to jump on it, good things might just happen!!

On a side note, my company did in fact terminate me. I spoke to a lawyer because my union rep was doing nothing to help me, the lawyer has filed papers with the company and as of today they are reviewing my case to change my termination status to a resignation.

CHEERS!

Susie

Comments (20)