SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Unresponsive script message?

dedtired
12 years ago

Is anyone else getting this message in a window today? It's driving me nuts. Every time I try to go from Discussions to Conversations it pops up. I hit "stop script" and it s-l-o-w-l-y takes me where I'm trying to go. I can't even close the GW tab while this is happening.

I think this was discussed on other Forums but I didn't run into it today. What a huge nuisance, along with the new "midthread advertising". I don't see the ad -- just a gap -- because I use Adblock.

Comments (78)

• goldgirl
    12 years ago

Thanks - the add on worked for me too!

Sue

• compumom
    12 years ago

Pam- What did forboys2 say? I don't see a posting here from her/him.
    On my work computer I see the script message on either browser. I am using the work around suggested by GW and opening a new tab each time I click on a thread.

All my ads say they are generated from Google. In fact on teh right side of the page there's an ad for Chrome.

• Related Discussions

Stupid Unresponsive Script!!!

Q

Comments (2)
    This worked for me. Here is a link that might be useful: help
    ...See More

Garden web error--unresponsive script--is it just me?

Q

Comments (11)
    Mia, I think it is a conspiracy. My husband kind of tricked me to go look at the 2012 Equinox because he thought I might like to have a newer one. The salesman quickly grabbed the keys and brought one up to the front for me to drive. I didn't drive it but I did get in and look. When we got the one I have now, I had six grandchildren here for a few days, and they ran an TV ad for zero percent financing in Joplin. He wanted me to go right then and find one. I had already driven one and thought they were OK, but we had just bought a new truck, so I wasn't looking for a car. He said what do you want on the car. Since we live in an area with quite a few hills, I didn't want to give up my four-wheel drive. My mother was still living at the time and I was having to make a lot of 300 mile trips so I said I wanted cruise control. He called from the dealer and told me they had two left with four wheel drive and cruise control. He told me the two colors they had, and I picked one. You can see how really excited I get over a new car. Needless to say, he has liked it a lot better than I have, but it's OK. LOL Now GardenWeb has this big ad, that every time I open a thread that says Chevy Equinox Sale 2012. I'm glad to know that it is on your computer too and that I'm not being targeted. LOL After hearing the forecast for this week, I probably should be shopping for an ark.
    ...See More

aborting 'movie script'

Q

Comments (4)
    Many thanks, Randy. I tried to get the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player. But it said that Netscape was running and it needed to update some of the files which were in use. Netscape was NOT running! At least not that I could see. But I am quite willing to go right click on the Netscape (Communicator?) icon on my desktop and get rid of it. That WILL get rid of it, right?
    ...See More

Unresponsive Script?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks all. Just had a weird thing happen. I started up the computer and Avast popped up saying an update was needed. I clicked update and it proceeded to install. I knew it wasn't a normal update as it was setting a Restore Point and so on. Then it asked to restart the computer. After restarting, I logged on and the computer crashed got this window: Sorry, I took a photo of it with my phone as I couldn't do anything with the computer except to shut it down. I tried to restart and the same window came up. I restarted in Safe Mode and uninstalled Avast. Went to MSE and installed that. I'm assuming the update to Avast caused the problem. So far the computer is running normally. I'll have to do something else eventually, as this is XP and the MSE page told me it was ending support for XP. So, I'll have to find something else. Jane
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forboystoo recommended enabling a Firefox add on called Yes Script.

After you have downloaded it, you must click on the icon for each page where you want it to work. You can tell it has engaged because the icon will turn black. It blocks java scripts on that page. Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about, only repeating others!

I managed to do it, so you can too!

Here is a link that might be useful: yes script

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

I have Java scripts enabled yet I had none of this problem. I'm not running Yes Script. I wonder why.

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Pam, thanks for the link. I followed the advice and added Yes Script. Took me a while to figure out that it was working. But it is and the problem has disappeared.

Ann

• jessyf
    12 years ago

I don't have yes script but I haven't been having any problems. Firefox w/ad block. shrug! gremlins!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All thanks go to Forboystoo. I only reposted.

Jessy, I didn't have the problem at first either. I read others complaints and thought, hmm, not me. Then whammo -- it hit me. Kinda like unrefrigerated food. ;)

• compumom
    12 years ago

LOL! Thanks for the link!

• annie1992
    12 years ago

I downloaded the DoNotBlockPlus and so far, it's working great.

What the heck else can they figure out to do to get our information and make things more difficult, sheesh.

Annie

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

Annie, I installed it three days ago, and already it has blocked 5,498 attempts to track.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whoa, got to get that.

• triciae
    12 years ago

Wow, CC!

I installed DoNotTrackPlus at your suggestion over the weekend & it's blocked 102 tracking attempts. I thought that was terrific! But, it's nothing compared to your 5,498. I mostly just read the news, visit GW, & do some shopping online though.

/tricia

• annie1992
    12 years ago

CC, I installed it yesterday and it's already blocked 1,095 tracking attempts. I think every site available has Facebook trying to track, Ugh.

I haven't even done any shopping on-line, I've sent some email, checked here, read the daily news from my local newspaper. It's always the same culprits too, Goodle, Facebook, Twitter, Doubleclick, Vibrant Media, etc.

Plus, the gremlins seem to have backed off, no virus messages or script issues and it's a little bit faster, even here at home on my old Dell.

Annie

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

Latest version of Firefox has the no-track mechanism and it is turned on by default. That's nice.

Yes, we're being tracked everywhere. No such thing as privacy anymore in the digital world.

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

I didn't know about that Firefox 11 feature. DoNotTrackPlus found plenty of tracking to stop, so when I read your post, Gina, I checked, and it was not turned on by default. Difference between Mac and PC versions of Firefox?
    Hmm... now I turned it on but DNTP is still finding stuff.
    Notice the Firefox preference is "Tell websites I don't want to be tracked." That may be different from just stopping them?

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

Nevermind, I've been reading the tech blogs and the do not track feature is not what I thought. It is a feature that is going to be implemented widely later on, with online ad industry changes. These changes are going to come with legislation I imagine.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now I am obsessed with finding the sites with the most "trackers." TMZ is the leader so far with 8. Yeah, I had to see the candid photos of (blech) Casey Anthony.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

My winner so far is Gardenweb, with 7 ad networks and 9 companies blocked for a total of 16!

Annie

• triciae
    12 years ago

I've not had a single company trying to track me on GW. I wonder if my Comcast software was already blocking out some of this stuff? My total is up to 228.

/tricia

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Right now it's telling me that the following ad networks are tracking me:

Dedicated Networks
    Vibrant Media
    quantcast
    BlueKai
    Nielsen
    Mindset Media
    Media Innovation Group

These 9 companies are tracking me:

Omniture
    Doubleclick
    Google Adsense
    Vibrant Ads
    Quantcast
    blueKai
    Comscore Beacon
    Netratings Site Census
    ChartBeat

I do see that some are counted both as an ad network and a company, like Vibrant, Quantcast and BlueKai.

Annie

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, I get 0 tracking me on GW. Could it be Adblock? I am also on Comcast (for now. Price went up astronomically. Switching to Verizon).

Abine says "Clear skies! No tracking found here." for GW. My total is up to 700+.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, I have a new problem. This one is really strange. When I go to the Discussions or Conversations page it asks me to sign in. I usually don't have to sign in, GW remembers me.

So I tried to sign in and it wouldn't let me. However, if I open a thread, like this one, I'm signed in and can post. However, I can't start a new thread. This is very strange.

At first I thought I had been blocked, but if I can post on a thread, I guess not. I never got any warning emails and I don;t remember posting anything controversial.

I thought maybe it was because I downloaded Abine, so I disabled it, but no change.

Is anyone else having this problem? I am getting tired of battling with GW.

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

I frequently have to sign in, but never from one page of the forum to another. Even though I check "Remember me on this computer" GW forgets me all the time.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Like CC, Gardenweb often "forgets" me, even if I check the box that asks it to remember me. Sometimes I stay signed in for a couple of weeks, some days I have to sign in on every single thread I open.

Gardenweb IS a constant battle, far worse than it's ever been. (sigh) I haven't had any problems since downloading Abine, but it says it's blocked 10,161 tracking attempts! Maybe it's my internet provider? I have my internet through AT&T because it's the only one that could give me DSL here instead of dial up.

Annie

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, things seem to be back to normal for the moment. When I tried to sign in, it would bump me to the front page of Gardenweb, kind of like getting a trip to Disney.

I start Abine again and see what happens. My internet is Comcast, soon to be Verizon since Comcast increased my bill by $20 a month.

• triciae
    12 years ago

Annie, I think it's your internet provider responsible for all that tracking you're experiencing. I've been online a lot today searching for & ordering new linens, rugs, & other stuff. My counter is still only at 277.

/tricia

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

Providers have nothing to do with the tracking.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gina, is there an echo in here? LOL.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Hmmm. So I wonder why I get all those companies tracking me here when others don't? I get the same using Firefox or IE, the only difference is with Explorer I get a message saying that "the page has been modified to prevent cross-site scripting". Whatever the heck that is....

I am using Vista, which I just hate, so I'm going to blame that, LOL.

Annie

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

This tracking stuff is way complicated - even for programmers, so I don't trust that any messages you are getting from the anti-tracking software you installed about how many trackers they stopped, etc. to be correct.

Gardenweb seems to be on an ad-selling campaign. Which is good, don't get me wrong, they aren't charging us anything so the money has to come from somewhere, even though the ads slow the site, mess with users, etc. Hope they'll smooth things out.

I like to see what ads the tracking is feeding me - it's interesting from a purely technical point of view, but I think feeding you ads based on what you've visited is not working very well. Yes, I visited xyz, don't feed me ads about xyz over and over again - give me ads about stuff similar to xyz, new sites, duh.

What I don't like about tracking is the potential misuse - you know someone's gonna eff it up.

Did you see where the gov is releasing census report data from the 20s, 30s and 40s? Many of those people are still alive. What happened to the "privacy" part of census info? I'm glad I didn't fill out the supplementary census crap I got a couple of months ago. They were really persistent to the point of coming to my door. I had to shut the door in her face - she wanted to push into my house! Next census I'll use this info release as my reason for not trusting the privacy of the census, seeing as they consider privacy to have an expiration date.

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

The 1920 and 1930 censuses have been out. The 1940 is about to come out. They are released after 72 years.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Gina, it's all starting to make me testy, they want more and more information.

Since I bought the remainder of the farm I've gotten government agricultural surveys. I was all ticked about the National Animal Identification System, they want me to microchip every animal I own for "safety of the food supply". Uh, yeah, that includes the horses. Oh, and I have to give 24 hours notice before eating one of my own chickens. Whatever, I didn't sign up.

Now I'm getting surveys with dire warnings about how I have to complete them "by law" or I'll get a personal visit. The government entities can't bother or have enough time and money to inspect our food facilities or shipments of food stuffs from other countries, but they'll knock on my door if I don't fill out the form? They want to know how many cows I have, how many chickens, goats, sheep, pigs, hives of bees. How many fruit trees? Grape vines? Do I have a garden? Do I sell any produce? How much hay, how much pasture? I threw it away.

Ugh. And now this with the census and the computers, everyone wants to know what the heck we're doing, you'd think we had interesting lives or something, sheesh.

Annie

• jessyf
    12 years ago

And then there is the story of Target knowing that a teenager was pregnant before her dad knew.

Gina, I'm interested in Abine (donottrackplus) and their ilk. Sorry to read that they are probably not the end all cure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Target story

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

Jessica, I think Gina was saying that the Firefox preference does not do what she thought. I don't think she was talking about DoNotTrackPlus.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I really don't care that much if I am tracked. My life is pretty ordinary so if they want to track me and be bored to death, so be it. What I don't like is the constant barrage of ads of any kind. Before Adblock, I'd see fat jiggling bellies and thighs with cellulite alongside my Yahoo email, probably because I'd visited Weight Watchers. I don't know what's on Gw these days but I remember a particularly obnoxious ad for Honey Bunches of Oats that had sound.

I never fill out those pop-up surveys. It's like being a lamb led to slaughter -- why make it easy? "Help us improve our site" - ha -- help you improve your advertising revenues.

I saw an interesting news story about the HIPAA privacy laws. A researcher has a theory that eating disorders are not caused by social pressure but is a genetic disorder. She wanted access to medical records from the 1700's. The hospital denied them to her citing HIPAA laws. I think that's carrying things too far.

Wow, Annie, I hope I never eat a microchip. Wouldn't that be funny? Someone would think they were tracking a chicken shopping at Bloomingdale's in the mall.

I do try to foil the trackers when I can, but I don;t get my undies in a twist about it.

Is the old census info in a searchable form? I wonder if I can find what my grandparents filled in. 72 years isn't long enough. People are still alive who answered those questions, like my 94 y.o. mother.

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

Pam, Ancestry.com has indexed the censuses by names. It's a pay site, but you can also go to public libraries or LDS family research centers or historical societies and search them for free. Searching microfilm is very tedious, but lots of places have CD's.
    When the 1940 first comes out it you'll have to know the location to find anybody. Ancestry will index the 1940 by names, and it will be free through 2013.

• triciae
    12 years ago

The 1940 US Census will be released April 2, 2012.

"Providers have nothing to do with the tracking."

What I meant was that Comcast provides blocking software.

/tricia

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

And Twitter tracks you everywhere.
    DoNotTrackPlus just told me this: "Twitter is one of several companies that tracks you at millions of websites you visit without telling you.
    You blocked Twitter from tracking you on 421 other sites."

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

Looks like Abine and Ghostery are the top two, with Ghostery having more known trackers in their database, but reportedly slows things down a bit. Both are only as good as the trackers in their database, mainly all the public, known entites like ad networks, Facebook, etc.

What about the unknowns?

Also, neither clean out what's already on your computer, meaning you will need to clean out your cookies one by one, or just dump them all. But if you do that, none of your sites will remember you and if you keep things in wish lists, shopping carts, etc, they may be dumped.

Internet providers provide some malware blocking mechanisms, but none of them have the do-not-track feature provided by these Abine et al.

The largest players are the worst of course - Google, Yahoo, MSN, Facebook, Twitter, news and email sites...

I'm a bit testy myself lately. Must be the menopause support supplements!

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

Gina, tell me about the menopause support supplements, please. I'm already tired of hot and cold running Eileen and it just started this month! :( I have a bio-identical progesterone cream and black cohosh. I am not keen on prescription help. Whatcha got?

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, CC. One day I will get serious about genealogy, although others already have in my family, at least on my mother's side. My dad's side is the great unknown. It would be fun to poke around in those databases.

Good luck with those power surges, Barnmom and Gina!

• jessyf
    12 years ago

Thanks Gina for the info on Abine and Ghostery, that's what I was looking for. It's creepy, but websites aren't the only ones lurking, following and emailing (more amusing than anything, LOL)....too bad there isn't an add-on for that.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am having trouble signing in. I can't sign in at the bottom of the page that lists the threads or at the bottom of a thread. I have to go to the member registration page and sign in from there.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I hear ya Jessie....if it's not ads it's stalkers! LOL!!

Can anyone guess why John Deere tractors appears on the left? Utility tractors they say! Wrong-o guys....don't want one don't need one, ain't going to buy one!

• annie1992
    12 years ago

LindaC, they have you and me mixed up. I don't have John Deere tractors, I have Gevalia coffee and a recycling ad.

Suddenly it's changed, now it's Clorox, Hidden Valley Rance and Clinique.

Nope, changed again. Hefty Bags, The Lorax and Doubletree Suites.

I get a different ad every time I hit the preview button!

Annie

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

Okay, Linda and Annie, I have to ask. Why no Ad Block Plus?

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Because I loaded it on my computer and it screws everything up, and makes the computer lock up, no matter if it's IE or Firefox. One more thing I'm blaming on Vista, just because I hate it.

Of course my AVG and Firefox is fighting all the time too, as is AVG and this site.

well, none of that happens here at Elery's with his Mac, only at home with my Dell.

Annie

• lindac
    12 years ago

Now it's blackout kitchen bags......says it hides the mess better than white bags.
    Now!! Really!!....do you ever check out the mess inside your garbage bags?
    Ad block doesn't block all for me....
    Besides how else would I know about the wonders of Black Out Kitchen bags! LOL!!!!

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

Ad Block and Abine seem to be doing a good job for me on Chrome on my MacBookPro. I do find that Abine slows things down on my Yahoo email, though. And it sometimes wants to attach all of my files in an email. WTH! I think Ann had this problem too.

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

Linda, did you also add the AdBlock Easy List?