Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stupid swiffer duster question

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 10:30

Yes, I am always behind the times, but until recently I just always used a dust cloth and washed them from time to time. But last month I found two swiffer dusters really cheap and got the short one and the extending handle version. My question: how long do you use the duster portion before you a) wash it or b) take off the used one and put on a new one?

My frugal nature wants to wash the thing, but I don't know if you can do that.

Thanks for your help! (I'd rather ask here than venture over to Cleaning.)
Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stupid swiffer duster question

Funny, I just took the plunge and bought some Swiffer dusters. Like you, I feel as if they are kind of expensive to use. I certainly am not going to throw one away after one use, although it feels strange to put it back in the cupboard with dust on it.

I am pretty sure you can't wash them since they seem as if they would disintegrate in water.

I will use one until it is so filthy I can't stand it. I am just too cheap. I actually found some swiffer knock-offs at the Dollar Store that worked just as well at less than half the price. Unfortunately the Dollar Store is a bit of a drive from me and not on my regular route, so I haven't gone back. I am still using the handle that came with the cheapies.

I do love the way they pick up the dust and hold it rather than pushing it around. They are so convenient, too. My media center shows dust like crazy and I can be sitting there watching tv, notice the dust, go get the swiffer, quickly clean it off, and be back watching the show before the commercial ends.

o

Have you tried taking it outside and shaking the dust off like we do/did dust mops?

o

My whole house is either hard wood or tile so one use per paper cloth is all I get. It is amazing how much I pick up on those cloths even if I vacuum or use a dust mop first.

I am thinking of cutting and sewing one of the microfiber cloths to fit so I can wash and reuse it. I don't like using a lot of throw away things that end up in the landfill.
Clare

o

Clare, I done that with the swiffer sweepers. I just jam a microfiber cloth into the little holder holes and sweep with that. I've also used paper towels and spray with endust. You have to be careful not to make the floor slippery, though.

o

I love Swiffer dusters! I use one until it's totally beat down. I can dust the whole house, including floorboards and the few blinds I have with one. The dust doesn't shake off, that's why I like them. It picks up and keeps the dust, and gets around books and tchatchkes, etc.

o

I had forgotten that I had sprayed mine down with the hose to rinse the dirt out. Hung it outside to dry, shook it a little and it worked just fine. Didn't try washing with soap. I'm thinking if water alone doesn't hurt, a gentle wash in the sink won't either.

o

That's good to know, Pris. I'll have to try that.

o

Then I'll try washing one when it gets really dirty - and I'll also shake it outside to see if that gets rid of any of the dust.....doh!!

I've got dozens of cheapo blue terry wash clothes that I use in my swiffer mop and then throw them in the wash. Yep, they fit the mop just fine.

Thanks for your help,
Teresa

o

Therese, I bought a big package of cheap wash rags too and use them for the sweeper. They fit so good, poked into the holes.

Just recently I saw a pattern to make a cover for the swiffer duster. You can use fleece or microfiber cloths. I still have some dollar store covers to use up, then I'll make a couple. Btw, the dollar store covers I got were a bit...odd. LOL. They're kind of wild. The stuff kind of hangs off of them in places. But, they work and I bought them, so they'll get used.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swiffer duster cover pattern

o

Thanks for the link, coconut! I'm not sure if the fleece duster would pick up dust as well as the Swiffer replacements, but I have both fleece and cotton flannel fabric to make one and try it. I'll look at the $ stores to see what they have also.

Teresa

o

I think the microfiber cloths might work better than the fleece. I've used them pretty successfully for dust cloths. Flannel sounds good too. Come to think of it, these cloth covered ones might be good to use damp for things like the ceiling fan.

o

My sister tried to get me to use the swiffer - but I just can't rationalize the waste involved -- I'm back to my microfiber dustcloths that I can shake out and then wash when they get too dirty.

o

Teresa, I tried rinsing out a swiffer duster and it just disintegrated. Unless I can get swiffer-like dusters at the $1 store, I won't be using them. They are too expensive.

o

Thanks for the update, Pam. What I like about the Swiffer is that it picks up the dust instead of just moving it around. I'm trying to tell myself that since I wash/reuse almost all my zip bags, I can allow myself the luxury of the Swiffer refills. That's a good argument, right? LOL!

Teresa

o

Works for me! I don't smoke and I barely drink, so I figure I can waste paper towels. Gotta work on the swiffer angle.

o

dedtired, are we talking about the same thing? My swiffer duster looks like sheeps wool on a stick. Or maybe, poodle hair. Used for all things above the floor. Since originally posting, I've put mine in the sink with warm soapy water, rinsed in clear water and air dried. Still no problem. You do need to fluff it up a bit. Mine is not refillable that I can see.

I do realize some posters here are talking about the floor dusters and those refills cannot be rinsed or washed. Microfiber cut to size would be a very good substitute and a one time purchase.

o

Pris, yes I mean the "feather duster" thing. When I tried rinsing it out, all the dust (and a dead spider) stayed firmly stuck to it and the whole thing turned into a mushy mess. Maybe I should have left it dry? I'll try your way next.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here