SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

How old is too old to wear jeans?

dedtired
12 years ago

I need some new clothes -- badly. I stopped working two years ago and after decades of wearing suits five days a week and usually some black stretchy pants on the weekend, I now need casual clothes to wear all week. I've pretty much worn out my casual clothes from my working days.

I need something that I can wear around the house and still look presentable to go to the store.

I was thinking of nice, fashionable jeans. How old is too old for jeans? Let's face it my posterior is a lot wider than it was back in the days when I wore jeans all the time.

I don't want the Mom Jeans look, either, although at my age it would be the Grandmom Jeans look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mom jeans

Comments (69)

• sally2_gw
    12 years ago

I think I'll be buried in jeans. I go to the thrift store to buy mine, usually. I can't see paying more than $5 for a pair of jeans. The kind I like the best tend to be Lee Riders stretch jeans. They are semi-low riders, and oh, so comfortable. To me they look like regular jeans, you can't tell they're stretch until you put them on. That being said, I've never tried an expensive pair of jeans. I get nearly all my clothes at the thrift stores. I've bought brand new items at thrift stores that someone must have bought but never wore.

I've read the theory about dressing nice for the day, putting on make up, the works, but it doesn't work for me. I feel paralyzed. I can't get anything done because I'm afraid I'll get my clothes dirty, or I can't move in them.

Sally

• pkramer60
    12 years ago

My favorite for casual out and about are khakis. LL Bean has them in several styles and colors to make it fun. Comfy and nice looking, and yoou don't have to be 16 for them to fit. And they wash great, no wrinkles.

I am not one to wear jeans for a day out of shopping, museum, etc. I want to avoid the "flower show" look you saw. Aand yes, I have been seeing too much of that and it is not pretty on anyone at any age. Jeans , to me, are for gardening and messy work. For days at home w/o too much messy stuff, I found some cheap khaki slacks that work. For really comfy, JCPenny has some great sweats with nice tops. I may not go out and if someone comes over, they still look good.

And those low rise, hip hugging slacks are only good for those with a models figure.

And putting on a bit of makeup is like clean undies....you never know who you see and when.

• Related Discussions

how old is too old??

Q

Comments (14)
    wintercat- Interestingly enough, mayonnaise (unopened and stored in a cool, dark, environment) is on a list I have of "indefinite (or nearly so) storage items" I received from a Food Storage Class, and also from other scientific sources on-line. After being opened, however, it goes downhill from there as determined by other contributing factors. An opened and partially-used container of mayo that has food debris in it, cross-contamination from meat on the knife and back into the spread, and/or has spent long periods of time sitting out of the refrigerator or at an unsafe refrigerator temperature (and most people haven't any idea what their refrigerator temperature actually is, nor what a food-safe temperature is), will be something I would consider "questionable for safe use" BOTH before or after the use-by or best-by date. A jar that has been kept free from food particles and cross-contamination, and has spent 90% of it's in-use time at a food-safe temperature will keep much longer even after opening, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it long after the date expired. This is where common sense comes in when asking if something is "still good". -Grainlady
    ...See More

How old is too old for dental surgery?

Q

Comments (12)
    A slim chance, but I think the chewing on one side and the drooling and bad breath probably mean she does need some sort of intervention. She is a former feral and still not easy to handle, so light sedation probably wouldn't work. We'll see what the vet thinks after the blood tests and exam this afternoon. If all are good and she is likely in pain we'll have it done first thing next week.
    ...See More

Cleaning the Freezer (How old is too old?)

Q

Comments (18)
    We have an assortment of freezers. Thinking the 40+ year old giant Montgomery Wards upright would be dying soon we bought a smaller upright and a small chest. Then I decided it would be handy to have one on the back porch for the things I use most often. I use dollar store plastic baskets and cheap small storage totes with labels on the front in the uprights. Most everything we freeze is foodsavered and hard to corral (yep, double sealed and dh says he likes the generic rolls of plastic best). Right now none of the freezers are full and I could get everything into two, but it's so nice to be able to see in there. Giant, still-running upright is beef and three slabs of pork belly I need to bacon-ize. Small chest has a turkey and cloth grocery bags of pkgs of fruit and lots of corn. ...it was the last year for corn from our favorite u-pick so we stocked up. Other upright is pork, lamb and chickens. The back porch freezer is full of vegies,fish, stock, store bought stuff. Leftovers and things that should be used soon go in the fridge freezer. Sounds so organized. Ha. The best I can do is make myself go through them every few months. I tried an inventory taped to the door...was really bad about marking things off. I have gotten much better about labeling and dating, though. Even so, I always seem to wind up with a batch of 'dog soup' when I clean them out.
    ...See More

How old is 'too old' to play in action films

Q

Comments (14)
    I am a huge Lee Child/Jack Reacher fan!! In fact, just got finished reading the newest JR novel, Blue Moon. So when I heard they were making some of these books into movies I was delighted.....until I heard that Tom Cruise would take the starring role! Cruise is so far off from how Reacher is described in the books that it initially put me off seeing the movies at all. While I don't care for Cruise personally, he is a capable actor. But he is no Jack Reacher in terms of physical size or appearance (Reacher: tall, big, blonde. Cruise: short, slight and dark). And since Reacher's physicality is such an integral part of every story line, that is a massive disconnect for me. The age thing is really incidental to me. Reacher was born in 1960 so that would make him 59 in the latest novel if it keeps true to dates. It's hard to imagine any man approaching 60 with the extreme and highly developed physical capabilities that Reacher portrays but age is not emphasized in the books.....it is a very nebulous association that lends the idea that he is somewhere in his mid to late 40's. So the age issue is much less of a concern for casting that role to me than the actual appearance of whoever they select. Child has made his concerns about the movie casting (and possible Netflix streaming series) known for a long time. While he liked Cruise and how he performed in the role, he was not happy with the selection. “I really enjoyed working with Cruise,” Child clarified. “He’s a really, really nice guy. We had a lot of fun and he works really hard and he takes it really seriously. On your downtime you do crazy things with him, but ultimately the readers are right: the size of Reacher is really, really important and it’s a big component of who he is.” “The idea,” he continued, “is that when Reacher walks into a room, you’re all a little bit nervous just for that first minute. And Cruise, for all his talent, didn’t have that physicality.” I'm not sure who I would like to see in this role.........but it sure isn't Tom Cruise and I am glad he will not be reprising it any longer.
    ...See More
  • Gina_W
    12 years ago

I like lower rise bottoms because I have a short waist, so anything at the waist is bad proportionally for me.

At this age, it's a balancing act - trying to look appropriate and not mutton-dressed-as-lamb, but not dowdy either.

Jeans are tough - lots of people do not look good in them, skinny or big. If your jeans are stuck in your bottom, they are too tight! If your bottom is flat and your jeans look baggy there - fuggedaboutit! If you don't look good in jeans or are plain sick of them, wear menswear-look slacks (GAP, Loft and Banana Republic always carry different styles of these) or sporty pants instead. Or see some of the sportswear at Athleta and Title Nine for casual lifestyles and weekends.

• John Liu
    12 years ago

Jeans are tricky because every company has a bewildering number of cuts, styles, and fits. Just when you have it figured out, they change those cuts and you're the Little Match Girl again, huddled in the snow clutching your last pair of properly-fitting jeans. My tolerance for clothes shopping is at a 30 minute a trip, 1 trip per month level. At that rate, my odds of finding jeans I like during a trip to the mall is about zero.

My answer is to always buy the same type - size, brand and style - of jeans, or at most a couple of tested and proven types on the "approved list". Eventually I'd like to subscribe to jeans. Every year on my birthday, two pairs should be automatically sent to me, and the least-worn two pairs automatically deleted from my closet. When I get a man-servant, I will be sure to add that to Jeeves' duties.

Even so, styles change, so you have to re-calibrate. Recently I spent an excruciating half day at the mall trying on jeans for this decade's approved list. Stayed on the list: Levi's 501 button fly straight leg, 32" 32". Made the list: Calvin Klein straight leg 32" 32". Blue or black. There. Done. Until 2020.

Funny enough, jeans actually are my "dressing up" wear. Which says a lot, and nothing good, about my fashion sensibilities. For everyday pants, I've been wearing the same type for 25 years. It is a sort of rock climber's pant - medium weight cotton twill, elastic waist with integral nylon belt, gusset at the crotch, comes in various dirt-like colors. The company, Grammici, actually started making rock climbing pants and this pant, the original G pant, was its only product. Now they seem more hipster than climber, judging by the smarmy tattooed guy models - gee, looks like every day in Portland - but they still make the G pant, thank goodness. I go through four pairs a year.

When we lived in hotter climes, my standard pants were these quick-drying nylon tropical adventurer things by Ex Officio. You know, what you pack in your devil-may-care duffel and throw into the seaplane for a week of tarpon fishing or sea kayaking. In the cold rain where I live now, those pants would be like wearing soggy Kleenex.

You know what I'd really like to find, as far as jeans go? Back about '83, I had a pair of tight jeans in green and white stripes. They were popular in Europe then, among young folks anyway. When I got back to the States, I never saw anyone wearing them. I wish I still had mine, but they were probably a 28" waist, no hope of fitting. Brooke Shields still has, and can fit into, her nothing-comes-between Calvins. Not me.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Peppi, for some reason I have never looked good in khaki slacks. They always look like they are wearing me instead of me wearing them. Hard to explain.

Mutton dressed as lamb. That's exactly what I want to avoid.

I find that Ann Taylor and Banana Republic pants are not made for women with voluptuous hips. I used to wear GAP jeans all the time, but I haven't been in there for a long time. Along with Baby Gap they should have Geriatric Gap. That company has most of the bases covered with Old Navy for the young and broke, Gap for those with a few bucks to spare and Banana Republic for the slightly more upscale set. I should send an email and tell them they are missing a large and growing market segment.

Enough with the ads for walk-in tubs. Show me some geriatric jeans!

• nicoletouk
    12 years ago

I am very curvy with large thighs, so I HATE shopping for jeans. However, I just found some you might want to take a look at. I bought them at Talbot's, they are the "curvy" fit jeans. Of course, I *still* have to have the waist taken in, but that is par for the course for me.

Check them out, they may work!

Nicole

• annie1992
    12 years ago

so you guys are telling me that my trip to the Wesco station for the sunday paper this morning was a fashion faux pas?

I wore a pair of black yoga pants, Danskin brand, that I bought at a yard sale for 25 cents, topped with a Tractor Supply t-shirt that says "I'm a farmer, someone has to feed you people" and a black Carhartt sweatshirt/jacket that zips up the front. No make-up but I did put on deodorant and brush my teeth!

I think I was a bit overdressed, standing in line behind the woman in her pajama pants and a camo sweatshirt, LOL.

Oh, and for the record, I HATE jeans. I've never found one single pair that is truly comfortable or that fits well or looks good. When I was a teenager I wore boys Levis because I had no waist and no butt. I still have no waist and no butt, but I'm busty. Low rise jeans will never work for me, they just slide off my non-existent butt, giving me the ever popular "plumber's" look. At least the Mom jeans stay up!

Khakis don't really do all that well for me either, if they fit my waist they're far too baggy in the rear and thighs.

I have two pairs of "travel pants" that i bought at Sam's Club, they fit and look better than anything else I've tried. I really thought I'd splurged, TWO pairs of slacks, and I paid $30 a pair for them, something unheard of in my life. I seldom have $100 worth of clothing on my entire body, counting underwear, bra and purse!

Gawd, I hate shopping.....

And that reminds me, I need a haircut. It's been over two years. Another thing I just hate to do.

Annie

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

Annie, I think you and have the same utilitarian fashion sense. But I do like my jeans. I am not the curvy shape either, I have no side hips. So the jeans that are curved to fit most women leave me with a strange bagginess. Gap has a cut that is pretty much straight up and down on the sides and those work pretty well for me. I have heard Lee jeans fit well and someday I might look for those.

I have dress pants but they don't work for me for everyday wear. I ride a bike most days to run all of my errands.

I can't make friends with my khaki trousers. I try. There are several pairs hanging in the closet. I put them on, look in the mirror and take them off every time. I guess I bought them out of desperation when I was working in-house in an office environment and couldn't show up in my pajamas for work like I do at home. I do wear some khaki capris in the summer. I remember thinking I looked pretty good in my khaki pants in the 80s but I also weighed about 105 pounds and it was the 80s.

On the topic of mutton dressed as lamb, I used to see lots of moms shopping for themselves with their daughters at Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch and other juniors stores when I would go to the mall with Alice. Of course they were younger than I (I'm one of those 'older' moms) but they still looked a bit desperate in their spaghetti strapped camisoles, low rise jeans, and logo hoodies.

• jessyf
    12 years ago

Just curious what are 'mom jeans' about these: coldwater creek jeans.

This is what I think of for the dreaded item: Draper & Damons

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

Coldwater Creek jeans look possible. They opened a store here. I'll have to see if they carry petites in the store and if they work for me.

More mom jeans below.

Here is a link that might be useful: LL Bean.

• chase_gw
    12 years ago

I love jeans and practically live in them. I have several different styles but one thing they all have in common is a skinny, straight leg. I even have a new pair with a fair amount of bling on the back pockets :)

I have skinny, fairly long legs and dammit, I'm making the moist of it! Now that tire that runs around my waist.....baggy is good! LOL

• John Liu
    12 years ago

I have skinny, fairly long legs and dammit, I'm making the moist of it!

Okaaaay.

• goldgirl
    12 years ago

Jessy - I was going to say the same thing, as I've had luck with their "natural" cut jeans and like their no-iron shirts, which are truly that. Generally, though, I find them too frou-frou for me because I like more tailored clothing.

I also recently discovered Faded Glory mid-rise bootcut denim at Walmart for $14. I rarely ever shop there but one night happened to walk by a display. They're lightweight, which I like, and happen to fit me perfectly. My only complaint is that the regular length is unusually long, while the petite is a little too short. But for the price, who can complain?

Here is a link that might be useful: Faded Glory jeans

• compumom
    12 years ago

Pam, get thee to Nordstrom or Bloomie's and look for "Not Your Daughter's Jeans". They're tailored, well made, comfortable (a bit of spandex) and come in a variety of rises, styles etc. They're just great and worth the price. I can often find them at Nordstrom Rack if you have one in Philly.
    No need to look frumpy and NYDJ are definitely a better fit for me than Ann Taylor or Gap. I've bought a few pair of jeans over time at Coldwater Creek, but lately their stuff has become more matronly than ever and don't even consider Damon's & Draper's. That's our mother's generation! LOL!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jessy, I may have to give Coldwater another chance. Somehow I think of clothes to wear to a square dance when I think of that store, or denim shirts with flowers embroidered on them. You nailed the mom jeans with the Draper ones. Anything with elastic in the waist or pleats screams mom jeans. Actually pants with elastic waists scream "I am so old I have to wear pants I can pull down quickly because I have to pee RIGHT NOW."

The boot cut jeans kind of work for me because they balance my hips. Saddle bags on the top means boot cut on the bottom.

• chase_gw
    12 years ago

OMG Johnny !!! LOL

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

Work it Sharon!

I've had NYDJ. I liked them.

• goldgirl
    12 years ago

OMG Pam, you just made me spit out my coffee!

CC has improved, but frustrates me because they'll take a nicely tailored jacket that would be perfect for work and then use a frumpy fabric with either a weird print, odd texture, or metallic thread. I don't get it.

I have a pair of the NYDJs, but I find them too heavy. They're definitely well made, but the denim hasn't kept its shape for me in the wash.

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

Geriatric GAP, LOLZ!!

Loft had the Curvy style trousers too - more room in the hips. I don't have side hips either so those didn't fit me.

J Jill has the Wearever collection - basically wash and wear pull-on/drapey styles. I like the wide-leg palazzo style for work. I also like the ponte knit material popular now. I have a couple of palazzo trousers in that knit and they are easy to wear and attractive, plus no iron.

I take a lot of clothes to a tailor to adjust. It's very worth it to find a tailor to make off the shelf clothing fit you better. I bought a Jones New York dress on sale at Macy's to wear to my friend's memorial last month. It was $49 and after I had it fitted it looked like a couture dress.

So if you need adjustments to make a pair of jeans fit better, by all means do it.

Now, don't get me started on women our age in shorts...

• John Liu
    12 years ago

When you're approaching a certain age, capris are the new shorts. Very fetching with espadrilles and a breezy smile, whether you're 15 or 50.

For women, anyway. Flood pants have never quite caught on for men. We have "cargo shorts" which have paired up with fanny packs and applique t-shirts as the ultimate anti-fashion.

As long as we're going on about clothing, how about sliding over to headgear? Here in Hipsterville I now see many men wearing hats. Fedoras, pork pies, short bowlers, anything with a brim sparse enough to make the hat a "statement" and not something you'd actually wear to keep rain at bay, which is, of course, the actual legitimate utilitarian reason to wear a hat in Portland.

Sadly, the hat wearers are all men. Some look pretty good, others look like Oddjob, but they are all men. Where are the ladies and their glorious hats? Headgear hasn't caught on with our fairer sex. Alas.

I think I've whined about this before. Sorry. It must be the graying neurons.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought maybe after the royal wedding, hats for women might be more prevalent, but alas, no. I wish they were popular because I happen to look good in hats. There are a number of events around here each year where the women wear hats. They are all fund raisers held outdoors, and events at the hunt club.

So far I have not noticed hats on men except for the standard baseball cap. Oddjob, funny. We had a teacher in high school who looked like Oddjob. Oddjob Sobczak.

Back in the 1950s all men wore hats. I remember my dad always wore a hat. He would put it in the dining room table when he came home. I loved to put it on and walk around in it.

• John Liu
    12 years ago

Be a trendsetter and wear hats! I say this to dedtired and all the other ladies here.

For the men - sigh. A hat indicates, and should be accompanied by, a certain grace and elegance in dressing and comportment. A hat is the finishing touch on a well-attired, well-groomed, well-put together man. A hat is not to be plopped on a slouchy, ill-dressed, messy-haired man. Just as we don't put neckties on fishes, we don't put hats on slobs.

Hatted ladies are never slobs. You never see a bright bonnet, or a crisp Panama, on a slovenly woman. But men think they can wear crap and it's okay because they put on a hat. Absurd.

• Lars
    12 years ago

I have several African hats that I like to wear, but my favorite

. It is very comfortable and keeps my head cool. A lot of the African clothing is also comfortable and cool.

Lars

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Hats mess up our hair and they're pointless, for the most part.

• jude31
    12 years ago

Well it so happens I'm an octogenarian and I wear jeans. I am not slim anymore but I'm tall, have long legs and LLBean for more rugged jeans work well for me and I like Chico's for dressier jeans. Chico's are cut lower than I like but I rarely, make that almost never, wear anything tucked in. The JCP's momjean's thing was gross. Butts turned up like the rising sun are not appealing to me.LOL When I know I'm going to be "in public" I usually wear a nicer shirt, sometimes like a jacket, unbuttoned, with a tank top under it, or some kind of nice top. Many of the stores mentioned never worked for me when I was younger and certainly don't now. I expect I will always wear jeans but I do have nicer, dressier pants as well. As an adult, I've always loved clothes.

And I almost always wear makeup, at least lipstick, unless I know I'm going to be doing heavy yardwork. And that's for me...makes me feel better about myself.

jude

• compumom
    12 years ago

Chomp, chew, chomp, chew...

That's me eating some of my words about Coldwater Creek. Their new catalog arrived today and actually there are some very cute dresses inside! :^P

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

I wish BF could read this post, he might understand why I always want to take a friend along when I go shopping--for moral support. I think it is as close to the "hunter gatherer" experience we can get in the modern world! Like John says, there are so many variables when it comes to pants. NOTHING I hate shopping for more. And then you find a brand you like, and two years later they completely change the style of them! Plus we are now dealing with the general decline in quality of most items.

As for hats, I wear them a lot! I work outside a lot, and they keep the sun out of my eyes and the bugs out of my hair. But like Bbeez said, hats mess up your hair. BF came home the other day looking like Moe of the Three Stooges. "What is up with the hair?" "Sorry, I was working outside all day, wearing my hat."

I love a fine hat and have a few, but cannot be worn inside. Not too many fancy occasions where I can wear a nice hat here in the northerly climes. When I'm wearing a hat, it is usually a wooly ski cap.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wear a hat when I'm gardening. I also have a visor I wear when I go for a walk in the summer or to the beach. I really need to protect my skin as I am now paying the price for a youth spent toasting myself. I also have a few knit hats to keep my ears warm in winter. Hats also work well to keep my hair out of my eyes. Yes, they do make a mess of my hair.

I'll have to check out Coldwater Creek. Maybe things have changed.

Jude, I bet you look good in a pair of jeans.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

The thing with Coldwater Creek is that they do have some nice things mixed in with all the junk.
    That page shown above for jeans, some are ok, but some are knit!

They are also way over priced for the quality (medium at best) and have nothing that can't be found in any department store, for much less and much better quality.

I have sent too many things back to them but have kept a few things here and there. Recently, I was in a store and had a $25 gift certificate, I could not find one single item that even remotely tempted me to try on.
    $80 for some poly old lady shirt? Nope.

Their styles haven't keep up with current looks much either.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

I agree, I'll bet Jude looks great in jeans!

Bumblebeez, that means I have to drive 50 miles to a department store, shop for the darned things and after 3 hours I will have found nothing that fits or looks good and I'll go home ticked off, having driven 100 miles round trip with no end result other than I need to double my blood pressure medication. (sigh) I think I've mentioned how much I hate to shop?

So, I want a place on-line with easy returns, it's only 3 blocks to the post office!

OK, so I should cross the knit "jeans" off my list of interesting items, LOL.

Annie

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

I also got the catalog and was eyeing some stuff. Martha Stewart Living has a monthly coupon for CC. This month's code is NFA1040 for $25 off $100 minimum purchase.

Here are more discount codes I got in the mail:

Loft 25% off $75 or more online purchase. Code SPRINGP2VB thru April 11.

Chico's $10 off a full-priced sweater thru March 18 Code 13848

Chico's 50% off highest-priced item with $100 minimum purchase thru March 18 Code 10187

Don't say I never did anything for ya!

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

I can't imagine not wearing jeans. I have better luck finding decent fitting jeans than I do other styles of pants. Unfortunately I can't wear jeans at work. Boohoo. I've recently bought both Levi's and Lee jeans that I like. Straight legs, mid rise, mid weight denim. BTW - IMHO jeans can only be woven cotton. Those knit pants aren't jeans.

Capris are what I don't get. I don't think they look good on anyone. Shorts are better even if you don't have great legs. Above the knee shorts - the below the knee kind that men wear drive me nuts. So ugly!

• jude31
    12 years ago

Another reason to shop at Chico's...no where else can I wear a size 3.

• caliloo
    12 years ago

What the heck are "knit" jeans? I went to the CC site to see what several of you were talking about and I don't understand. Are they knit like sweatpants and made to look like jeans? That is wrong on soooo many levels! EW!

And Jude - LOL on the Chico's sizes LOLOLOLOL!
    Alexa

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

I don't believe in "old lady" clothes anymore, unless you really do want to look like an old lady. Which likely means you have no fashion sense at all, clinging to styles that were popular many years ago. Inappropriate clothing is a whole different subject....

I've worn jeans most of my life, both basic and fashion jeans. I just learned a new name for jeans when reading this thread. "Mom" jeans are just what I have always thought of as old lady jeans. I try to wear fashion jeans that are age appropriate, yet comfortable. Gone are my days of having to lay on the bed to try and get the dang jeans zipped.

For around the house I buy inexpensive tops and jeans, pants, Capri's and shorts. I'm not careful and seem to get grease spots on my tops... so I end up changing into my better casual clothes... even to run to the grocery store.

I should wear an apron when cooking but never remember.

Nancy

• nancylouise5me
    12 years ago

My mom is 84 and she still wears jeans. So I don't believe there is an age limit on jeans. But I'm another that wouldn't be caught wearing Mom Jeans. I haven't seen any that are flattering on a women's body. They just look bad on. I usually wear form fitting jeans. I buy some of my jeans at JCP. A.N.A is the brand and they fit well. I also get my jeans from Boston Proper catalog. The "Paris Fit" boot cut. I don't like baggy clothes that just hang and don't do anything for your shape.
    I too put on mascara and lipstick along with jeans and a nicer top when running errands. You never know who you will meet and I just feel better when I don't look grubby going out to do stuff. NancyLouise

• jude31
    12 years ago

Nancylouise, I usually wear siimple gold (colored)hoop earrings too. My ears are double pierced and I leave the small studs in all the time. Amazing what they do when your hair or makeup is not at it's best. If I do run to the grocery store, not looking very good, I will invariably see someone I know. Law of averages?

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, knit jeans is a new concept to me. I've seen late night ads for stretchy flannels made to look like jeans (in the manufacturer's mind), but they are horrible!

Jude you are a riot. It's funny but I feel like a fatty because I need a size 3 at Chico's. Guess I need to change my mind set. I'd love to be a size 3 at Bloomingdale's. At the rate I am going I will soon be a 3X (kidding!).

Has anyone bought clothes from the Soft Solutions catalog? I got one and there are a couple tops that look nice. For the price, the quality better be very good. I wonder.

Here is something else that is a problem for me. What do you do with clothes that you've worn and plan to wear again before washing? Hang them back in the closet? Put them on a shelf? I don't like to mix the "worn once or twice" clothes in with the freshly laundered clothes that are hanging up. I end up draping clothes over a chair and that looks awful. So where do you keep "slightly worn but not dirty" clothes?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I wear yucky clothes at home- gardening, cooking, dog snuggling clothes, so I always change into nice clothes before leaving the house (and always wear makeup, jewelery, etc,)

It comes from years of my mother yelling at me to change out of my school clothes and into at-home-clothes.
    Occasionally I wouldn't, (I wanted to wear them!) and she would drape me in towels at dinner.

Of course, I didn't do the wash back then.

• nancylouise5me
    12 years ago

I put my once worn clothes in my bedroom over a chair. I don't like mixing them with the clean clothes either. After they are worn a second time they go to the laundry room and wait to be washed.
    Jude,me too! I forgot about the earrings. Never without them. Don't want my holes to close up. NancyLouise

• jude31
    12 years ago

Dedtired, I think knit "jeans" are awful, too.JMO BTW, I'm 5'9' and as I said my legs are long so it takes a lot to"cover me".lol I've bought a couple of things from Soft Surroundings and the quality doesn't come up to the price. And...the last thing I bought, a longish sweater type, coat with an interesting 1 large button at the neck, went on sale with the next catalog. Don't think I'll order from them again. Just realized you said soft solutions, but just in case we're talking about the same one, think twice before you order from them.

I hang once worn in the closet. It may be weeks beore I wear that item again and I'd have clothes draped everywhere. Another question, what about clothes that have to be dry cleaned? With dry cleaning prices these days, only wearing clothes twice, could get expensive. A lot of times I change clothes after church. Our church is rather informal where dress is concerned so I don't always need to change.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I meant Soft Surroundings. I thought maybe the quality wasn't so great judging by the "ingredients." Too bad. They have a shirt that is long enough to cover my lumps and bumps, but it costs nearly $90.

I wash a lot of things that say dry clean only. I do hang them to dry. I wash sweaters using Woolite in the gentle cycle of the machine and lay them flat to dry. When I was working I'd take my suits to the cleaners about twice each season, presuming no spills or splatters. Dry cleaning is awfully expensive.

• John Liu
    12 years ago

I hang once-worn clothes up in the closet. If they are too dirty to hang up, they are too dirty to be worn again.

Oh, there are exceptions, and I smunch those dirty clothes up and stuff those under the bed and fish them out the next day to finish the car repair or home project or ditch digging or whatever. I do that because I'm a guy and SWMBO has been unable to beat this habit out of me, though it is not for lack of trying. I think everyone needs some mini crosses to bear, and this is hers.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I have a place in my closet where I hang clothes that have been worn but not yet ready to be washed.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

John, after my XH and I split, I cleaned out his side of the closet. I can't tell you how many balled up clothes smunches I found. Disgusting!!!

Don't get me started on my closet. I don't even need to use hangers. The clothes are so squashed in there, they hold each other up.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

You know, I remember when only farmers wore jeans or denim. It was prohibited in high school by our dress code, even. Now they are everywhere!

OK, I'm way out of my league here, LOL. I don't have enough clothes to wait weeks between wearings. I used to have office/work clothes and farm clothes and nothing in between. Now I have no use for business suits and that single pair of black pumps that I wore with everything.

I'm 5'2" and do not have long legs. I also have a big bust and short waist, no jeans look good on me, they either come up to my ribcage or they fall off my butt (or both, I can't figure out how that works) I hate 'em all but I'm far more likely to go with jeans that feel less awful (none are comfortable) than choose them based on how they look.

Since I'm retired my wardrobe now consists of one pair of Carhartt sweat pants, two pairs of dress slacks, one pair of capri pants, half a dozen assorted t shirts, both long and short sleeved, a couple of long sweater/cardigans and a zip up sweatshirt (black) and you have my entire wardrobe.

I never wear jewelry other than my wedding ring, I haven't put on a pair of earrings in years, I didn't even wear them to Ashley's wedding.

Shoes? I have one pair of black Avia sneakers, one pair of muck boots (also black and not the $100 ones either, the $11 ones from Tractor Supply, goes with everything, even those maroon Carhartt sweatpants), one pair of snow boots, one pair of white flip flops and one pair of black Skecher flats.

Although I've been to Chico's, I've never been able to actually spend what they want for clothes, regardless of size.

In spite of my completely non-existent fashion sense and my woefully inadequate wardrobe, which I did not realize was woefully inadequate until this very instant, I still don't think you're ever too old to wear jeans, if you want to wear 'em.

And yes, I realize that a very large percentage of my woefully inadequate wardrobe is black. I like black, it goes with everything and I don't have to think about matching, I'll wear it until they invent a darker color....

Annie

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

Annie! We have the same body (you are taller) and wardrobe as well as interest in fashion (zip). If you open my closet it sucks all the light out of the room. If it isn't black it's denim or brown. A few tailored shirts that look like men's shorts only smaller and with darts. I do wear earrings. I may not put on mascara but I never leave the house sans earrings if I leave the house. I have many.

Eileen

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

Men's shirts.

:)

• dedtired
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish I could be that relaxed about my clothes, but I would look weirdly out of place around here if I wore jeans and a t-shirt, only. In the garden, yes, but out and about, no.

I have a lot of black and wear only black pants because they help camouflage my larger bottom half. I never go out without makeup (foundation, two subtle shades of eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, blush and lip gloss)and jewelry (earrings, ring, watch, one necklace that never comes off and often another necklace or scarf).

I also own about 45 pairs of shoes, counting flip flops, etc. I counted them one time. Some I rarely wear except once in awhile. Since I gave myself shin splints wearing heels that were very high (painful!), all my very high heels are going to the thrift shop. Boo hoo.

My closet needs a major intervention. Maybe I can get one of those psychiatrists from Hoarders to some over and help me.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

LOL, Pam, if you were shorter, I'd come clean your closet, then I wouldn't have to go shopping for years!

Eileen, that is exactly the problem. I have no interest in fasion at all. I'm clean, I'm covered up. It's good. My girls shake their heads and even Makayla has gently criticized my "fashion" choices. (grin)

I do wear blusher, mascara, a bit of eyeliner and lipstick. I haven't worn eyeshadow since high school. I did have a pair of diamond earrings once. I was afraid I'd lose one so I never wore them. Now I can't find them, they are "somewhere safe". Yeah.....

And now I have to go shower and put on some makeup. I'm getting my hair cut today, it's been over two years and Elery says it needs it. Another thing I hate to do and Susan had better just shut up and cut my hair and nix the local gossip that makes it take twice as long as it has to. Oh geez, I'd better hurry, I have to stop at the bank too, I don't think that $7 that I have there is going to be enough!

Annie

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks