Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Gathering Greyhounds-April 30-May 1

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 8:48

Cathy, I agree that we should go on with our get-togther, as a tribute. It was something she felt to strongly about she made certain to let us know what she wanted. Her daugther has reiterated twice also. Do want to change cities? Or continue on in Atlanta? Beverly suggested we just pick a city and a stay in a hotel. I am up for anything.

Southeasterners and others who want to hang with us, let us know your thoughts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Gathering Greyhounds-April 30-May 1

If everyone else wants to call it off, it'd really help if you emailed me so I'm not hanging.

:)

o

I'm still looking forward to meeting all in the group that had planned to go, even if it is postponed for a week or so later than we had originally planned.

o

Im still in , as long as the weekend stays the same. I'm not sure if the date has to change. Just let me know the details...where we meet, where we'll stay and if we have to make our own reservations(I'm supposing we will),etc.

I do hope we'll be able to do this, and at least one of my daughters will be coming with me.

jude

o

Where do we want to have this? Cathy, I think you're farther away than we are from each other, so your input is really needed.

o

Am I safe in assuming the trip to Atlanta is not going to fly? Unusual set of circumstances for sure, but I'd still be interested in a CF gathering, somewhere in the area.

jude

o

I was just thinking, we need to finalize our get-together and was planning to go find you jude! Funny. Here's my assumption, Cathy was the one flying to Atlanta that Elizabeth referenced. Since she hasn't answered or posted any more, and doesn't have an email address here (boy I wish someone would find her!), she isn't going to come??? I hope she tells us.

So plan A is, let's go aahead with just we three in another place closer to all of us since we're really only a couple of hour drive apart, right? I'm Nashville and Bev is North Alabama. Plan B is, Cathy finds us really soon and we still make Atlanta the meeting place???

Thoughts? or suggestions? No matter where it is Bev, I will come and get you and take you back.

o

Hey all. Sorry, I've been on vacation and checking in seldom.

I would love to meet you all AND really love to honor Elizabeth's memory as our theme.

What is the proposed date again? I'm hoping no inflexible dates have been added to my calendar.

Cathy

o

Hey Cathy!

We plan to keep it the last Saturday in April. I am so glad to hear from you! So did you buy a ticket? Are suggesting we still meet in Atlanta? Or someplace else?

o

I didn't buy a ticket as I was going to drive.

I am in Central FL (7+ hours from Atlanta) so please keep that in mind when selecting a location.

o

So Atlanta is halfway between us and we should pick Atlanta, right?

o

Rob, I sent you an email but I thought by posting here, it would bring the thread to the top again and might garner more attention.

jude

o

I'm still wondering what Cathy thinks. I saw your email and have replied.

Are you there Cathy? It's me Margaret?

P.S. That's a play on words (Judy Blume book, if you rememeber it)

o

I'm in, just wondering where you decided to have the Gathering. Anyone familiar with the Dekalb Farmers' Market? I've never been there so I am wondering if it's a destination.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmers Market

o

I'm in, just wondering where you decided to have the Gathering. Anyone familiar with the Dekalb Farmers' Market? I've never been there so I am wondering if it's a destination.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmers Market

o

Looking around on the internet it has good reviews.

If we go to Atlanta, we MUST do the Sunday brunch at Ray's on the River. It was the most memorable, relaxing, bestest time I ever had at brunch. And brunch is my favorite meal of the week... waiters who come and go bringing you whatever you need without asking! and a view to die for. The Chattahoochee river rolling lazily down the hill. Ah. Just popped into my head. That, and sucking crawfish heads at a dive over near Cabo Wabo and American Pie??? Can't remember where, so skip that one!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ray's on the River

o
One more thing

and this picture is out of Ray's diningroom window. See the river? I know, it's a tiny picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ray's on the River

o

Yeah! And there is Trader Joe's in Sandy Springs.

o

Here's what I've found. There is a $45 a night hotel on the north side (Marietta) which is a good part of town. It's a clean place but would be only to sleep. I wouldn't call it luxury. It's a good landing pad as it is about a ten minute drive from the Trader Joe's in Sandy Springs and the farmer's market is another 25 minutes from there. It's also 10 minutes from Ray's on the River. Or I could look some more. But all of this is a quick scan and suggestions.

o

Good job finding lodging. I am able to stay with family in Roswell, but if that doesn't pan out for some reason, I'll take you up on it.

Cathy

o

Rob, does the lodging have indoor corridors or do you enter the rooms from the outside. Outside entrances are far more dangerous.

o

As far as corridors--I'm fine with either. I am probably more cavalier than I should be when traveling.

o

I'm back in, y'all! Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone.

jude

o

Since I know next to nothing about Atlanta I'm leaving the the gathering and eating places up to those of you who do.

I'm not only concerned about safety in hotels, but a friend's neighbor just came home from a golfing trip and brought home bedbugs. They seem to be rampant these days and I sure don't want them.

o

Beverly, Of course you know that bed bugs are in private homes too. Do you have family or friends in the area to stay with so you will feel safer?

o

Kathy, they "ain't" in mine or anyone's home that I know! I know no one in Atlanta.

o

I'm of the mind to have interior corridors, but wasn't determined to be. I'll look for lodging that does. And maybe there is a bedbug check I could do? I dunno.

o

I seldom post, but I do live in Atlanta. here are a few places that you might find interesting.

The DeKalb Farmers Market is definitely a destination. Bring your shopping cart with you from the parking lot. Cash, check or debit cards only (they might take Visa/MC now, but I'm not sure). The little cafeteria is cash only, and always an adventure. It's a buffet of dishes from around the world, and it's not unusual to find goat or plantains. Spices are insanely cheap. There's also a good selection of less-common flours, dried mushrooms, and condiments. And if you're always cold (like I am), bring a jacket.

Another foodie destination is The Cooks Warehouse. There's a Williams-Sonoma at Lenox Mall. H-Mart (Peachtree Industrial and I-285, which is on the way from Marietta to the DeKalb Farmers Market) is loads of fun. It's a huge Asian grocery with a good food court.

If any of you have specific things that you'd like to buy/see/eat while you're here, let me know!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cooks Warehouse

o

Scotland, Thank you for your input!! I have been trying to get to the DeKalb Farmers Market since you posted it some time ago. I tried last fall when I went through Atlanta but ended up at the wrong market.

I am going to do some mapping and GPSing so I don't miss any of these foodie opportunities.

o
RE: A Gathering Greyhounds-April 30 and May 1

Thanks scotland! Why not join us?

Here's what my hotel industry friend said.

Ok…here is the link http://bedbugregistry.com/

However…it really cannot be trusted and the reason is other hotels will post things anonymously just to sabotage their competitors and not everyone who gets bites realizes it is from bedbugs. The best thing is to inspect the room and bedding well as soon as you get in the room and before you set your stuff down. They can be in high end hotels just as much as economy hotels mainly because there was a huge outbreak in New York a few years ago and everyone had them…even in their apartments and homes.

o

Looks like there is a big foodie expo in Atlanta our weekend. General admission tickets are $22 as oppose to $400 for some of the celebrity chef meet & greets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Food Expo

o

I went to look up hotels and the Hilton was completely booked??! So I looked up what's going on in Atlanta that weekend. The link is below.

Ok, I found a little more expensive hotel, but still sort of in that same area. It's $75 booked fully paid, or if you wait it's $89 as the least rate. Sound ok?

Here is a link that might be useful: What's going on in Atlanta April 30-May 1

o

For some reason, that link takes me to 2010. The only thing I know about that weekend is the Inman Park Festival, which is a huge outdoor festival in an old neighborhood near downtown full of gorgeous Victorian homes. It's not particularly food-related, but is one of the better food/music/art festivals in Atlanta. We'll be at this festival Sunday (Saturday is devoured by the kids' baseball games). I don't see the hotels filling up for this, though.
The Braves are playing Friday, Saturday and Sunday that weekend.

If the Hilton you're looking at is in Marietta, my guess is a wedding or two has it booked, and Marietta isn't far from the Food Expo.

o

Yep, wrong year. Ah, so that's it. Whew. Thanks scotland!

o

Yeah, you're cavalier Cathy - especially since you are staying with relatives. LOL

Scotland, I wish you would join us. Thanks for your input!

Beverly

o

All who are attending, please email me via my Garden Web email link. Robin has asked me to put together an agenda so I would like to communicate with you all. Please use Gathering of Greyhounds in the subject line so I won't overlook any of the emails. Feel free to offer suggestions.

Beverly, As stated--I "might" stay with relatives. If not, then I'm in for whatever Rob suggests.

Scotland, yes that would be great if you could join us.

o

Cathy, Rob told me you "were" staying with relatives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here