SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Fighting The Winter Blues - With Light And Color And Vitamin D

John Liu
11 years ago

This continues a topic we started talking about on another thread - http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cooking/msg0109542021195.html?25

The topic, loosely put, is things you can do to stay cheerful, or at least not blue, during a long dark winter. This has recently been a bit of an issue with me. Thank you, Pacific Northwest winters!

I went to the big box store and returned with an armful of high wattage light bulbs in daylight hues. Some halogen spots, some compact fluorescents, some blue incandescents. Spent an hour taking out miserly little bulbs and inserting the new torches. Now our house is much brighter. The kitchen fairly glows, the hallway is a beacon, the dining room can be cranked up to operating room levels - or dimmed down to dinner party mood.

A trip to the general store yielded some $12 clamp-on fixtures that will take a 100 watt equivalent daylight compact fluorescent. I have four of these mounted to my office monitors, and will add two more when they are back in stock.

Now I arrive at work in the pre-dawn darkness, turn on my 400 watts of artificial daylight - soon to be 600 watts - pop a few 5000 I.U. Vitamin D softgels, and start my day. I feel more energetic, more cheerful. I may be imagining it, but I even feel a little tanned.

Now there is the problem of too many blank brown walls, sucking down light and mood. I've ordered these - eBay is a great source of cheap posters. The bright kitschy Tour De France poster will hang right in front of me, the black & whites won't do as much to lift the energy level, but they go with the other wall decorations, and anything is better than dull brown.

Reproduction promotional poster for the 1925 Tour de France

Coppi and Bartali dueling in the mountains, 1949 Tour de France

LeMond and Hinault ascending L'Alpe d'Huez, 1986 Tour de France

After some reading, I also concluded that getting more exercise and spending more time outside also helps. I've decided to kill two birds at once, and move from pedaling in a windowless room in the gym to running on the roads, in the wind and rain and fog - yes, even that is supposed to help.

Have you ever experienced the winter blues? What do you do about it? Besides eat more? I can do that too, but am trying not to!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH