SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beverlyal

Intellitex Nuisance

BeverlyAL
14 years ago

Okay I opted out and I'm still getting "intellitext." Anyone else? How do I stop it?

Comments (20)

• jimster
    14 years ago

Is that what it is? I just started getting it. It's useless and annoying.

Jim

• goldgirl
    14 years ago

There's a thread in Conversations with the fix :)

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

But if you are using Firefox the fix doesn't work.

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

I find it less offensive than pop-ups!! Definitely could be worse, IMHO.

Lori

• BeverlyAL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is less offensive than pop-ups, yet still offensive. I don't have Firefox and have never received ads that people have talked about before. I was a paying customer before it was owned by ivillage.

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Beverly, just download Firefox and start using it as your browser. It is better than IE and I also like it better than Opera. Then download the Firefox ADBLOCK add-on and you won't be bothered with popups or Intellitex.

Ann

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

At the top of thread listing is "What's New on Garden Web", in there is a link that explains what this is AND gives you an opt-out choice.

• ritaotay
    14 years ago

Interesting..... Just got a notification, on my computer, that said one of the Scripts Garden Web was running was causing Internet Explorer to become unstable and asked if I wanted to continue running it... Naturally I said no... Surprise... No more Intellitex ads.

Rita

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

I thought I had Ad-Block on. Duh, need another cup of coffee. Now I do.

• BeverlyAL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ann, what do you like better in other ways about Firefox?

Beverly

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

Hmmm must be the GW Fairies aren't up as early today as yesterday ...I had a warning on my post that it was unrelated to this side and moved yesterday in like 10 minutes of posting.

• goldgirl
    14 years ago

westelle - The opt-out doesn't work for everyone. Not sure if it's based on browser, operating system, or a combination of the two.

beachlily - I posed the Firefox fix in the other thread yesterday, which Ann was kind enough to also post above. Once I downloaded the extension, the highlighting disappeared.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

I have Firefox version 3.5.5. and this morning for the first time I noticed that I was getting words that had turned green with the Vibrant dotted underline, despite that I had opted out.

So I went up to Tools, Options, Content, and ticked the box "Block pop-up windows" and that has taken away not only the pop-up boxes but has returned the words back to their normal colour and no longer underlined. I didn't have to download an application or add-on. Hope that helps.

SharonCb

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Well, none of the "fixes" work for me. Firefox doesn't work on my computer. The opt out doesn't work - it's a farce. and Beanthere's fix doesn't work, either, because her instructions are for a PC, not a Mac, and my Mac doesn't seem to have the tools or any of the stuff she mentioned. I've already accidentally opened some of the underlined words just by accidentally running my mouse over them. How annoying. And, it's annoying that they're making it look like I endorse whatever products they're advertising because they appear within my posts. I'm very tempted to put a disclaimer at the end of all my posts saying I do not endorse any of the products advertised within my posts, but I'm afraid I'll get booted to Disneyland for that. If I didn't like y'all so much, I'd find another forum to hang out in.

Sally

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Sally, I am using two different Macs and do not get the ads.
    I do use Firefox upgraded to 3.6 and AdBlock Plus. In preferences for Firefox also check Block pop ups in the contents tab. Hope this helps.
    I do get these ads occasionally on other sites - I leave those sites and never go back.

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

I tried downloading Firefox, and it didn't take to my computer. I have an ancient Mac, probably close to 10 years old, so maybe it's not compatible. I've tried before, and it's taken, but not for long. It just quits working. When it did work, it worked very slowly, so I didn't really like it. I wish we could get a new Mac, but it's just not in the budget these days.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I'm alread used to dodging the ads , they don't bother me anymore; I opted out weeks ago, on firefox and safari, I am on a mac, and they reappeared this week.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

I posted this on the current topic in discussions but thought I'd add it here for reference:

I use Firefox and Adblock and have never seen an ad, popup or intellitext on GW. I use Firefox on both my Windows and Mac computers and it's true for both of them.

1. Open Firefox browser
    2. Cut and Paste this link into your browser: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
    3. Click add to Firefox button
    4. A window will pop. Click install now button
    5. Restart firefox for the add on to take effect
    6. then go to tools>Adblock Plus Preferences and add the following filters:

*/adbanner/*
    */advertisements/*
    http://*/adserver.example.com/*

7. Click OK

That together with the filters installed with the program, should get rid of just about everything.

Anything else that shows up, just right click on the ad and click BLOCK.

HTH

• User
    14 years ago

I followed the directions from L2C46, and it finally worked on my Mac, but it took a lot of tweaking, especially of Adblock to get it right. I ended up with some blank ads that I couldn't close until I finally figured out which selection to check (the bottom one).

Thanks

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

It worked!! It worked!!!

Thanks!!!!!!