Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Videographer filmed me at work today

Posted by publickman (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 17:35

Our publicity department had a film crew (two people) come to our warehouse today to document how our furniture is designed and made. They spent some time in my office taking pictures and videos of my work and me (and interviewing me), and this should be available on YouTube in a couple of weeks or so. The primary purpose for this was as a selling tool for the showrooms, and so the sales staff and potential customers in the showrooms will be the main audience.

I'm not sure whether I will be able to post the link here, but I also have to see how it turns out. The interview part went well, but I'm suspicious of some of the camera angles.

Lars

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Videographer filmed me at work today

Lars, you are a very handsome man, as well as a smart and effective communicator. Your work will speak for your talent on its own, and the camera loves you.

I'm sure it's going to be wonderful!

Annie

o

I'd love to see you in action, Lars. Please be sure to share the video with us. I bet you look great.

o

Thanks! I'll definitely email a link to anyone interested in case I cannot post the link here - they may view it as advertising, but I won't know until I see it myself. I felt like I was a bit stoic in the video, but the entire video will be edited down to three minutes, possibly with voice-overs, and so I cannot predict the outcome. No one has ever done a video of my models before.

Lars

o

Please send me a link, Lars. I'd love to see it.

o

Me too! I'm interested to see your work, and how you do it.

o

How exciting Lars! I'll be watching for video too and I'll definitely want a link if you decide not to post it here.

Lee

o

If you can't post a link, please email me...I'd love to see it.

I actually don't think it would be thought of as advertising here...you have been around a long time and for us it would be about you.

Nancy

o

I think that since it will be rather informal, being on YouTube, it should not be a problem for me to link here. Anyway, I'm not advertising anything - just talking about how I do my work. There will also be a segment with my boss at the L.A. Showroom, and she said she talked about me a lot but doesn't know how much of that will make the cut. Anyway, it was nice to hear that she was speaking of me so highly! We've been working together for over 20 years, and so we're quite comfortable with each other now, even though she is considered a very difficult boss - something like the Meryl Streep character in The Devil Wears Prada, which is one of her favorite movies. One year I gave her a DVD of the Coco Chanel bio, and she loved that also, since she owns so much Chanel couture.

I don't expect the video to be commercial - more informative than anything else, and so it should not be objectionable. If it gets taken down, I'll email it to anyone who wants to see it. No schedule for when it will be ready, but I'm expecting at least two weeks.

Today I got the finished versions of some styrofoam hearts that I carved, and I will share photos of those for Valentine's Day. I was very happy with how they turned out, but then modeling styrofoam is very easy to carve.

Lars

o

Lars, I would love to see the video. Really looking forward to it.

o

Oh, I wish You Tube worked on my computer. I'd love to see it, but don't know when I'd be able to get to a computer where I could watch it. Oh, well, I bet it's great.

Sally

o

Sally, perhaps upgrading your browser or using a different browser will cure your problem with viewing Youtube. I know it is often blocked at workplaces. I assume you are using your home computer.

Eileen

o

Lars, I want to see too.

Ann

o

Eileen, my computer is as upgraded as it possibly can be. It's just ancient. It's probably a good 15 years old. Thanks for the suggestion, though. One of these days we'll be able to get a new one.

Sally

o

Oh. An ancient computer isn't helpful with Youtube. Boy that must be a museum piece. Good for you for keeping it running so long! The most years I've gotten from a computer was 6 years. When you have your new one you will really feel like you're flying. :)

E

o

Lars, Don't forget me! I'd love to see it too.

I went looking for your carved hearts today and didn't find them posted.

o

Karen, check the "gallery" page. I seldom get around to putting pictures on photobucket - I'm not that used to it yet - and so I just put one photo on the gallery page as a Valentine greeting.

When the video is available, I will email a link to everyone who asks for it, as I think that will work better than trying to post it here. There are also videos of our NY and LA showrooms that I can send you links of as well. After I watched the NY showroom video, I decided that I should have talked more on the video they did of me, but they probably got enough anyway. I had a few more items planned out to show them, but I just didn't volunteer extra information other than what they were asking from me.

Lars

o

Me, too, Lars. I would love to see your work. Both you and your brother are fine artists, with artists' sensibilities, which I enjoy.

o

Lars, I'd love to receive a link.

Ann

o

The video is not up yet - they are taking their time with editing, and it probably has to get approval from several people before it will go up. I'll email everyone when it is ready, although after seeing the videos and pictures from my sister's visit last week-end, I'm not expecting it to be pretty!

Lars

o

add me to the requester list. I too would love to see your work!!

o

Still watching for the link....
Any idea when it will air?
Linda C

o

I still do not know what it will be up, but it should be fairly soon now, as it has been almost a month. I don't know how many people need to approve it, but there is an outside showroom involved (in Atlanta and Dania, Florida), and I think they are the ones funding it. I expect it to be only mildly amusing, but then I haven't seen the part with my boss in it, and she can be quite dramatic. She was once on The Home Show with Gary Collins in January 1994 right after the Northridge Earthquake in an episode titled, Women Whose Pets are Killed in Earthquakes. There was only one other woman on that show, and her dog had died of a heart attack during the quake, while my boss's dog had been killed by having an Egyptian antiquity fall on it. Everyone at work had to go to the lunchroom to watch the show when it was on. It was very sad because the dog had been making such progress with her psychotherapist. I used to make custom clothes for the dogs - they would not wear off the rack outfits - one of them was allergic to wool.

Lars

o

Lars, I think that's the first time I've laughed at a post about dogs dying!

o

Lars, I watched CBS's Sunday Morning yesterday. One feature story was about Mitchell Gold Bob Williams, furniture designers out of one of the Carolinas. I was hoping I would see your interview in that segment even though I know you work on the west coast. I thought you may have been affiliated with them in some way. Anyhow it was a very interesting story and gave some insight to what you do.
Looking forward to your link.

Di

o

"...while my boss's dog had been killed by having an Egyptian antiquity fall on it. Everyone at work had to go to the lunchroom to watch the show when it was on. It was very sad because the dog had been making such progress with her psychotherapist. I used to make custom clothes for the dogs - they would not wear off the rack outfits - one of them was allergic to wool."

I assume this was not a Lab. :)

o

I just came to see if Lars' video was up yet, and found this. I had to smile.

The dog apparently wasn't a Sheltie either, Cooper has so much hair he'd never wear ANY clothes, not even designer ones.

Annie

o

The video is not up, and so I uploaded a different video of me at Leo Carillo Fire Road, overlooking Leo Carillo Beach. It's an extremely steep fire road, but open to mountain bikes, which Kevin and I took when we went up there. The fire road is not marked, and I only knew it was there because of a special topo map I had bought at a bike shop. We had to walk the bikes most of the way up, not meeting a single person, and then coming down, we rode the brakes most of the way. The videos of us coming down the hill are pretty lame, and I've let them languish for ten years.

Di, the furniture industry in the Carolinas is a bit different from California in that the furniture there is manufactured first and then put in showrooms for retail sale. The furniture here has models put in showrooms just for display, and then furniture is ordered wholesale by interior designers for their clients. Our company also has a textile line, and it helps when the designers order our fabric for upholstered pieces, but they can also submit their own fabric for the upholstery. Our volume is a lot lower than the East Coast manufacturers, and our lead time is longer. Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams looks like a very nice company and very good product. I especially like their "Pull Up" table on page 34 of their catalog. Thanks for introducing them to me!

My boss's dogs were wire-haired terriers, I believe, or at least something similar. They were all rather skittish, and I think she had as many as three at one time. The last time I went to her house, she only had one dog left.

I'm hope sick today (as I was yesterday), and so I was able to play with some videos, since that is about the most my mind is capable of at the moment. I have a lot more that I want to put on YouTube myself, and the new video editing program I am using makes it a bit easier.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Lars At Leo Carillo Beach 2002

o

Lars, post the youtube link when you have it upload.

I have given your information to a high-end interior designer friend here. She practices in Greenwich CT as well as many other locations.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here