SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Thinking about a Florida vacation

dedtired
11 years ago

The weather here has been absolutely dismal and I could use a getaway from the fog, rain, snow, freezing temps. I'm thinking Florida would be a good choice, but I can't decide where to go. I am looking for a decent yet budget location. I don't need to be right on the beach, although I might like to go for a walk on the beach.

Everything I find on line is either expensive or kind of yuck. I'd be going by myself, so it needs to be safe. Besides sitting on my fat butt in the sun and reading, I'd enjoy shopping, museums, casual places to eat alone.

I can get great air fares on Spirit air, which goes to Ft Myers, Orlando, West Palm, Tampa and Ft Lauderdale.
Any suggestions for locations and even specific rentals, hotels or B&B? I'd probably stay about 5 days. Thanks!

Comments (33)

• jimster
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This may be a dumb question but will you be renting a car?

Jim

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, most likely.

I have been to Palm Beach, Orlando, Sarasota, Naples, Miami Beach and Jacksonville on business, so I am familiar with FL, but not as a tourist paying my own way. Boy, I miss having an expense account.

• Related Discussions

I don't think the Florida ban will end anytime soon

Q

Comments (8)
    The link below has some excellent pics to help us recognize the Asian Citrus Psyllid. In case anyone might not know, the Greening disease will be the death of any citrus tree. California is not alone by any means; it is a gigantic threat to the Florida citrus, and the pest is found in Texas and Louisianna (and no doubt more areas I have not read about -- or been reported) The infected Psyllid only has to poke into one leaf and the tree will become infected and then the tree becomes a host to any other Asian Citrus Psyllid that doesn't have the bacterim to become infected and thereby the citrus trees are being infected. Paying attention to our citrus trees and becoming expert at recognizing the symptoms of the Greening disease and the pest that carries the baterim-causing disease, the Asian Citrus Psyllid, is of utmost importance. Brass
    ...See More

Can you tell me about your all inclusive family vacation?

Q

Comments (17)
    Corgimum, the service was fantastic! Unfortunately husband ended up in the ER there shortly after we arrived due to his ticker. However, for the first time ever they brought him back in rhythm with some sort of Mexican ckt drug. We had such good care! Never ever has drugs worked in the states to bring him back around he always needs a cardio version (sp?). We carefully enjoyed the rest of our vacation and husband was so happy not to make any decisions. He has since had an operation to fix his problem and so far so good. We did take out the extra insurance before that trip and was reimbursed. That worked so well I will never travel to another country again without it. Joanie, just do it! Life is short! When my kids were young we could only afford one big trip the whole time to France and England and some mid trips to the Carolinas and mid west. The trips they enjoyed the most though were trips to the Florida Keys on the Gulf side. Those trips were just a few hours south for us though. And I have to say that they were not as much fun for husband who worked so much and had to do the long drive and then go to a NON all inclusive where decisions on where to eat and how to amuse the children were nonstop. Once the kids were grownâ¦we have been doing some traveling as itâÂÂs a piece of cake with two.
    ...See More

Family vacation in Florida

Q

Comments (56)
    Wow, JTerri, that does look nice. Looks like hotel developers noticed the same thing I did ... the hotel stock in most of the Keys is a little long i n the tooth and they need some new investment. OTOH I am reluctant to choose an unopened hotel and the last time I did so it was not finished in time! Anyway, the Eau Palm is booked already for the dates I want!? And my family thinks I am crazy for planning so far in advance.Hrmmph. Now I have my heart set on something with a fun, hip PB vibe like that. Which I find more on Air BnB. I don't care so much that they won't be oceanfront (we see plenty of that already) but worry they will flake on me in high season! Funny, Bonnie Ann, I remember being in KW and being told ... its only 90 miles to Cuba and it seeming soooo exotic. ETA ... OMG, look at this listing! I thought there was a person in the family room. I would never rent this unless it was dipped in Lysol first. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/12782884?guests=8&s=EQGRvyCN
    ...See More

Mexican Riviera? Already thinking about 2018 vacation. :)

Q

Comments (6)
    Love the Mexican Riviera and will be there again for Christmas (family reunion...third one with entire family over last 10 years). However, I am not a cruise fan at all and unless you get significant time ashore, you miss most of the attraction of this area - the ruins and other archaeological features, the jungle, the cenotes, snorkeling with the sea turtles, etc. We stay at a gorgeous all-inclusive resort so the best features of a cruise without being restricted 99% of the time to any comings and goings and the crowds of fellow passengers.
    ...See More
  • jimster
    11 years ago

I liked this place a lot. It is very peaceful, quiet and well kept.

Somehow, we were able to get a much better room rate than what they post here. Through Travelocity or Orbitz maybe?

It's not far from Palm Beach or Ft. Lauderdale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ocean Lodge - Boca Raton

• jimster
    11 years ago

This is an old motel and is showing its age a bit. But you can sit on a balcony outside your room or walk right out to the beach or pool. The room rates are very reasonable.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Gulf Beach Resort

• jimster
    11 years ago

Deleting duplicate post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gulf Beach Resort

This post was edited by jimster on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 18:17

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for those suggestions. The prices are right. By the way, I think you are on the Cape. How did you make out in the storm?

• jimster
    11 years ago

I was very lucky. Power outages are common where I live and much of the Cape was affected. But, except for a few short blackouts, my power stayed on and I never got cold.

Jim

• jessyf
    11 years ago

Before you book lodgings

bedbugreports
    bedbugregistry

• momto4kids
    11 years ago

When are you planning on going?

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh jeez, Jessy, thanks for that reminder. I'd hate to bring those home with me.

I'm thinking of going some time in March. My dates are totally flexible, although I want to buy my plane ticket a couple weeks in advance.

• momto4kids
    11 years ago

Pam, I was going to suggest Sandestin on the panhandle, but March is iffy and I know it wasn't one of the airport cities you mentioned above. Though, we've had good luck lately with rea$onalble flights to Pensacola or Fort Walton Beach.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Pam, If you do decide to go on the Gulf side, you are welcome to stay at my house a couple of nights to offset some costs (I am in the Tampa area). This time of year lodging and car rentals are pretty high.

• Lars
    11 years ago

Jessy, I just looked up the hotel where I'm going next week in Death Valley, and they had a report of bed bugs in 2007. I guess they must have gotten rid of them by now, however.

I'm thinking I should go to Miami Beach now instead and meet up with Pam! I've been wanting to go to Florida, but I have too many places on my bucket list by now.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Stove Pipe Wells Village, Death Valley

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Pam, I hope I didn't put you on the spot; that was just reflex on my part.

Cathy

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cathy, that is such a generous offer! I am just getting back to catching up on this thread now. If I end up in your area, we will meet for lunch or dinner at the very least. I like your reflexes!

Lars, the people in Miami Beach are too gorgeous for me. I went to South Beach while on business and felt like some sort of gnome among all the beautiful bods (although there were plenty of tourists like me). You, however, would fit right in in Miami Beach. It would be such fun to meet up with you.

Thanks Momto4, I never considered the panhandle. Good thought!

We'll see if this happens at all. I may use the money for new window treatments in my living room instead.

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

Lars DO go to Florida. We go every winter to visit family and I always like it. I still have not gone to the Gulf side and unfortunately there are no non-stop flights from L.A. - which sucks and is just not fair - LOL.

I like flying into Ft. Lauderdale - I hate Miami International - one of the worst airports! Virgin America flies nonstop to FLL.

As soon as I get off the plane in winter in Florida I feel good - I think it is the humidity - it is not that humid in winter but more humid than here in SoCal. And it just feels good. (My hair though - well, that's a different story!)

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Gina, I know what you mean about no direct flights! I use to work in LA every month and flew out of Tampa. I was fortunate that I fell asleep before we were airborne but those darn layovers ruined a good thing.

TIA (Tampa) is an easy airport.

I have lived with frizzy hair because of the humidity. I love my Texas hair---no friz.

We call the panhandle LA (Lower Alabama); I guess because we forget it's there. I do like the beaches in the panhandle and there are lots of nice restaurants.

• Lars
    11 years ago

Gina, there are non-stop flights to Orlando, but not Tampa, and the flights I found to Tampa were terribly expensive. For that price I would go to Hawaii or Puerto Vallarta. One winter a friend invited me to visit him in Ft. Lauderdale (I was living in San Francisco at the time), but his roommate was too difficult to deal with, and so I went to Acapulco instead, which was cheaper for me to get to. Plus I had friends in the hotel business in Acapulco and got discount rates for beautiful rooms. I liked the weather in Acapulco better, and then I could also go to other places in Mexico. That was many years ago, however, and so now I think I would like Florida more than I would have back then. I wasn't crazy about L.A. in the 1980s either, but it has gotten a lot better here.

Lars

• momj47
    11 years ago

Our favorite place, when we use to take the kids to Florida many years ago was Bonita Beach.

We always (and still) rent a condo when we travel - never a hotel, and we had a nice condo on the water. Kids loved it and so did we parents.

Have a good trip.

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Pam, I've virtually dropped to a few times a year lurkdom status, but I since I live in Florida, I just wanted to remind you that March is Spring Break, so just be careful what week you come and where you stay because the college kids will be all around and sometimes they can get loud that woudn't be very peaceful!

I applaud you for being brave enough to travel alone... I thought it would be fun to take a mini-vacation for a couple of nights to St. Pete Beach back in September... I went alone because I wanted to just get away by myself and no fight with anyone about what to do and when to do it. Instead, I ended up not being able to decide what to do and was bored and miserable the whole time! But, I'm sure that woudn't happen with you!

I think the coast would be better than Orlando if you don't want to go to the theme parks... a beach would be a welcome change from the weather you are describing at home. I don't know of any places to suggest (though taking Cathy up on her offer would likely be the best thing suggested yet... great food and company), but I hope you have an awesome time!

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

Hi Bobby! I was just thinking of you yesterday and what fun your posts always are and that you haven't been around. I guess I conjured you up. :) Welcome back! How are things in your life?

Eileen

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Pam,

Things are a iittle crazy right now... I've been working two jobs for over a year now so I'm always tired and never have time or energy to cook or bake like I used to... I just got news that my sweet grandmother as stage 4 lung cancer and has 6 months to live.... she'll be 80 in June if she makes it that long and I knew I'd have to deal with losing her sometime, but I didn't think it would be this soon...

Thanks for asking about me though... :o)

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Eileen, forgive me, I addressed that to Pam and you were the one who responded... that's what happens when you work til 3 AM and wake up and try to respond :o)

Things aren't all bad by the way... the fat cat is still alive and well and I just connected with an awesome group of quilters who seem to like me... all women over 50 (and I'll be 30 this year!) who seem intrigued by a "man" in their quilting group....I plan to return to school this year and have gone as far as applying for financial aid and visiting campuses, so that's a good, but scary thing....

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Bobby, thanks for the tips (and everyone else, too). Solo travel has its up sides as well as its down sides. I enjoy being able to go at my own pace and go where I want to go, when I want to go. I am not a morning person so I like to more or less take my time getting going. I love taking my coffee to bed in the morning, spreading the travel guides and maps out and planning my day.

Of course, there are times when I wish I had someone there to say "oh, look at that" and most especially someone to go along to dinner. I'm fine on my own at lunch or dinner in a very casual spot, but I miss out on finer restaurants because I feel weird sitting by myself. Gotta get over that.

Here is one thing that makes me crazy when traveling with someone else. I am a friendly person and will strike up a conversation when the opportunity arises. However, two people I have traveled with are overly friendly and I feel like they almost accost people to talk to them. I can see the "accostee" almost cringe. Maybe I am being too sensitive but I feel embarrassed. Sometimes I just casually walk away until they are done.

Anyway, after looking into an FL vacation, I think it is just too expensive. The airfare is very reasonable if I fly on Spirit out of Atlantic City but accommodations and car rental are astronomical, even if I were to crash with Cathy for a couple days.

I miss the days when I worked for a university and they picked up the tab. If I was going somewhere nice, I'd add on a couple personal days and pay for my room for two nights, but the school paid for the rest.

Who knows, maybe a last minute deal will crop up and I will go.

Bobby, I am sorry about your grandmother. That is terribly sad. I'm glad you have your quilting group and possibly school (do it!) to keep you busy.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Bobby, Thanks for the nice comments. I was afraid your absence was due to over work but I was hoping you were playing hard. So sorry to hear about grandma. I hope you have seen the quilts that Teresa_NC does, she takes quilting to a new level!

Pam, I traveled alone for 20+ years from 3 days to 2 weeks. Like you, I often tacked on a weekend on my dime; I really enjoyed exploring on my own.

I am fortunate that the HG is a compatible traveler. He had a new job and couldn't go on our one of our every-other-year trips to Europe. I ended up going with a colleague; I didn't ask her, she volunteered and I couldn't turn her down as she was my supervisor. It was a nightmare, she was the stereotypical UGLY AMERICAN and an uninformed international traveler! I couldn't wait to get home.

Florida--this time of year is peak season, if you can get a rental car or hotel room you will pay a premium. Let me know if I can help with anything.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cathy, you can loan me your car for a week. I promise not to throw the keys into a field. ;)

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

Shoot, Pam. I'm sorry you can't take a little vacation to a warm place.

About traveling alone: I have a woman friend about my age (ahem) who set out on a three month world tour alone in late December. She is having a blast. Right now she is in Greece. My only lament - I wish she were a better photographer. ;)

Bobby, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I know how important she is to you. My grandmother raised me so I totally get it. I'm glad to hear your cat is well and fat...er...fit. Good to hear about your continuing education. What are your goals? My kids (slightly younger than you) are loving college.

There is a thread about talents below this one. Please post your quilts. :)

Cathy, I traveled with the GF of a colleague long ago. She was the worst traveler. Anxious and nutty. Wouldn't take a bus tour for fear someone would offer her food and she'd get sick.

Eileen

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Well, Pam, that stinks! I had an ephemeral dream of meeting you and Cathy for lunch one day if you came down! But, more than that, it sucks that you won't be getting away from that dreary weather for some fun in the sun... maybe another time, or maybe you'll change your mind at the last minute and still come if you find a great deal :o)

Pam, I promise it wasn't my intention to highjack your thread, I'm so sorry!

Eileen.... this one is going to be hard... I didn't even flinch when my mom died a few years ago because we weren't close, but this one is going to hurt. I'm closer to granny than anyone else in the family and we have a special bond because we had similar childhoods and both like to quilt and we just think alike about a lot of things... I saw her on Sunday for the first time since we got the news and I was OK until we made eye contact and then I lost it right in front of her... she tried to make me feel better by saying that she's lived a long time and nobody lives forever and I shouldn't get upset because the world would keep on revolving.... then she said that no matter how old you are, that you never want to be told you're going to die and that she was scared she wouldn't see her next birthday... She's scared and I am too because I knew it's not going to be pleasant.... if there's such a thing as a good death, lung cancer isn't it. And she never smoked, but her husband did in the house all the time before he died in 97 of a brain tumor so she was exposed to it regularly.... I guess we'll just keep making the most of what time we have left just like we've been doing, but I fear the rest of our relationship will be about the fact that she is dying... I really think she's ready because her life kind of sucks.... she's largely neglected by the family and barely has enough money to survive from one month to the next and she's watched her husband, brother, and daughter die horrible deaths (all cancer, cancer sucks).... so anyway, I really think she's ready even if she wouldn't admit it.... but I'm not! The family has convinced her to do chemo which is something I don't believe in... especially at 80 years old.... it may give her a few more months, but it ruins quality of life and usually doesn't work anyway. She just had the "port" inserted yesterday for chemo because if they tried to inject the treatments in her veins, it would burn through them! Even amid the sadness of her impending death hanging over our heads, we had a nice laugh or two... I was taking her out to eat as I do every time I visit.... the day before, I'd spilled a drink in my car and forogt to clean the console and she accidentally ran her finger in the stickiness and we both laughed about that as I handed her a bottle of hand sanitizer... then as usual, we talked and I vacuumed and changed a light bulb for her and it was just ilke a normal visit except the for the insidious somberness in the air....

For school, I'm planning to go to a vocation school for LPN... my goal is RN, but the community college has a 2 year wait to even be considered for the program and I know that people who are already LPNs are more readily accepted into RN programs... many places are doing away with LPNs altogether, so I will have to continue, but right now I just need to start doing something, anything...

As far as quilts, I don't think I'd call it a skill or talent yet... I need more experience before those words apply, but this is one that I started back in September and have been working on since. It's called a Rail Fence, and as you can see, the cat thought it just for him and fell asleep while I was actively working on it! He nearly got his tail run through the machine :o)

I've ony been to one meeting at the quilt group and the host said the ladies all really liked me... and I them! I am saving for a high end embroidery/sewing combo machine with a touch screen and the lady who owns the home studio where the group is held sells them on consignment and she needs a new vacuum, so this could work out well :o) They do an open sit and sew every other Friday, and the owner just said to bring snacks, so I brought pretzles and store bought cookies.... well the ladies didn't bring snacks, they brought dinner... I'm talking fried chicken, stir fry, cassarole, apple pie, potato salad.... I'm making brownies and lemon bars next week, if I still remember how. I was so touched by their welcoming acceptance of a young male invading their midst unannounced that I posted this on the facebook page of the sewing studio which really sums up how I feel about the group and place....

Between the talking, laughing, and eating at the Friday Sit and Sew, I did so little stitching that the motor of my sewing machine barely got warm! However, my heart certainly did as I was readily welcomed by a fun loving group of complete strangers... (owners name), "awseome" hardly seems an adequate enough word to describe you, your studio, and my first experience indulging in such wonderful company! You rock!

It's nice to catch up with you guys, even it if meant a bit of hijacking (sorry again Pam, if you do come and we get to meet, I'll buy you dessert or a drink somewhere)... OH yeah, and when I went to St. Pete, the WORST part was eating dinner alone! OH it was a nightmare... and the hotel staff at the front desk looked at me like they felt sorry for me because I didn't have any friends every time I walked by... I wanted to go up and tell them I came alone on purpose! :o)

• compumom
    11 years ago

Hi Bobby, it's so good to "see" you again! I'm so sorry to hear of your grandmother's diagnosis. Share as much as you can with her. You obviously have the 'quilting' gene and perhaps in finding this sewing group, her talent is helping you to open a door where you'll find comfort down the line.

Your nursing school direction sound like a good plan. WIth your empathy and sensitivity, you're going to make a wonderful nurse!

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Pam, You are good (the car keys)! I have a car, truck, two bicycles, and extra keys.

Bobby, I know from previous discussions how close you are to your grandmother so I know how hard this is on you. Bless your heart, I know you are going to give her your best in her last days.

Of course those quilters love you, they are going to eat you up boy just like we do.

This post was edited by mustangs on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 11:26

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cathy, I'll never forget that story. I keep hoping for an opportunity to try it myself. Revenge!

Bobby, I am loving your stories and I'm happy for the hijack, but I will take you up on that drink if and when I ever get there. I love seeing all your vacs in the background of the photos. I have an old upright in the basement that I never use. Maybe I'll send it to you, although it weighs a ton. Around here, quilting and sewing groups are called stitch and b_itch. I'd be really good at the b_itching part. (Can't believe GW flags the word for a female dog)

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Did I miss a good story, Cathy? Keys in a field have me intrigued!

Thanks for the support everyone... granny has a blood clot in her lung and this alone could kill her... I've got to work tonight at 11, but I'm on my way up to Ocala to visit her at least for an hour or two.... here's a picture of her I gleaned from a relative on Facebook... not the most flattering, but you take what you can get... God I love that woman...

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bobby, I'll let Cathy tell the keys in the field story. She tells it better than I can.

Your grandmother has a sweet face. It's obvious that she cares about her appearance. If that is a poor picture, she must be quite good looking because she looks nice there. I wish so much that she could get well.