Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brain tumor, Stroke or Parkinson's

Posted by aptosca (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 17:05

That is my choice of what is wrong with me. My right hand started shaking right after Christmas. I thought it was just fatigue from all I did around the holidays or my carpal tunnel acting up. I waited for about a month to go see my general doctor, than had to wait another month to see a doctor in Neurology.

I am suppose to schedule a brain MRI scan in the next couple of days. Hope it is covered by our insurance. The neurologist did a bunch of coordination and muscle/nerve tests and came to the conclusion that it wasn't a problem with the nerve but with the signal being sent by the brain to the nerve. So the MRI is to rule out tumors, previous stroke or any thing that can be physically seen that could be causing it.

If the test comes back clean and doesn't show anything wrong then it is Parkinson's. There is no conclusive test for that but as it gets worse I will be on medication and maybe therapy.

Bummer.
Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Parkinson's disease

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brain tumor, Stroke or Parkinson's

Wow.

It could be essential tremor. Katherine Hepburn had it.

Good luck.

o

momj47 - Thanks for the link. The doctor talked about that and ruled it out because mine occurs when resting and stops when I use the hand. Just have to go get MRI done and see what it says. Thanks for the well wishes.
Clare

o

Oh Damn.....that stinks. Hoping it's just a stroke or essential tremor. Keep us posted!!
I have 2 friends who have essential tremor.....a glass of wine and it goes away like magic!!
Hoping that's what it is....and not parkingson's disease or a tumor!
Linda C

o

Wow. What a choice. I wouldn't know which one to hope it is. I mean a brain tumor could be non-malignant and could be removed, although that doesn't sound like much fun. Parkinson's could develop very slowly and could be something you can manage. A stroke can be a small nuisance or a huge disability.

I wish you luck and the best possible diagnosis. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Hugs to you.

o
RE: choices

Lindac, dedtired - Talk about a choice between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. Thanks for the best wishes.

Clare

o

I'm wishing the best for you and hoping it is something minor that can be easily cured. Just a quick correction to an above post, though --- not all benign brain tumors can be removed. Some are inoperable due to their dangerous locations in the brain.

o

Clare, my prayers and thoughts are with you. Let's hope for good news.

Nancy

o

Clare, I am so sorry. None of those choices sound good nor easy to hear. The process of getting to a diagnosis can be traumatizing and also difficult. Hopefully, the wait for the MRI and its results will be short. I do think though that your major medical insurance should pay for the test.

You will be in my prayers. Please keep us posted.

/tricia

o

I am so sorry to hear this news too....

You will be in my prayers!

Alexa

o

I'm sorry, Clare. I hope the MRI can at least give you answers.

o

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and prayers. I will take all the positive vibes I can get. They are booked up till Friday March 2nd, 3:15PM (Pacific) for the MRI. I will try to put it out of my mind and concentrate on other things. Not an easy thing to do.
Clare

o

Clare, Like others have said, none of the choices are great. Sending well wishes your way.

Ann

o

Clare, that's a week away. You know that we'll all be there with you in spirit. Not great options, I know.

Any chance that you can get out for lunch some day before or after? I'm not far away. I'm thinking that there are lots of good places like Cafe Sparrow or even Tony & Alba's pizza in Capitola.

o

Oh dear, Clare, I'm also sending all the strong thoughts, good wishes and prayers I can muster your way.

Whatever it is, I'm hoping they can resolve it quickly and with no residual effect. Hang in there, we're all with you in spirit.

Annie

o

I'm sorry, Clare. That time between tests and course of action is the pits. Everything takes so long. Trust me when I say it becomes easier (for lack of a better word) when you know what you're dealing with.

Hoping for the best...

o

Sending positive thoughts for the lesser of all evils. I have a friend with essential tremor. It was misdiagnosed as Parkinson's for a while. Mild meds seem to take care of it.

Eileen

o

Again, a big thank you for all the good wishes. I believe in the power of positive thinking, so I am not going to let this get me down.

It will be better when I have more information to go on. Who knows, the doctor could be wrong. They have been known to make mistakes. I just wish I could get it all over sooner.

sushipup - I didn't know you were close by. I'll send you an email about lunch. Funny story, Tony & Alba use to be my neighbor. Really great people.

Good night everyone or at least I hope it will be.
Clare

o

Drat, sending positive thoughts to you and hoping for the best possible outcome! The CF is with you!

o

Add my name to the growing list of people holding you in our thoughts.

Some quote about the devil you know is better than the one you don't, comes to mind. I won't tell you to try to relax, but I will suggest you lean on us here. We're pretty strong folks.

jo

o

Clare, there is also Dystonia which can affect a specific area. It does not show up on an MRI and a good movement disorder neurologist would diagnose this. Too many symptoms to write and your doctor should be the one to identify any of this. Think positive, more people have these and few know others with movement disorders because they can be managed so well they are unseen.

Hang in there, much is being done for many movement symptoms and can be controlled. Wishing you a clean MRI to eliminate the other concerns.

o

Something told me to check conversations first this morning. I'm glad I did. I'm NOT glad about what's happening to you, Clare. I'm crossing my fingers it's something that can be fixed or treated. I'll be thinking of you.

Sally

o

(((Claire))) I do not have the words. I am keeping you lifted up and held close. Prayers coming your way!

-Rob

o

I believe in positive thoughts too and am sending them your way. That's one thing I'm sure I inherited from my father, who now has Parkinson's but has not given up his positive attitude.

I'm anxious to hear what the diagnosis will be after the tests. I hope you get to have lunch with Sushipup - I was thinking that she was close to you and might be available for visiting.

Lars

o

Wow! What a choice. So sorry to hear what is happening to you. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way. NancyLouise

o

Clare, I'm joining all your other CF friends to send you warm and caring wishes. We are looking for the best for you.

Kathleen

o

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Just a thought:

Cyfluthrin, a pesticide used by vineyards, can cause condition such as yours.

Check out your next door neighbor.

dcarch

o

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes, thoughts and prayers. All that positive energy should help. I am keeping busy so I don't think about it. Today was another beautiful warm (70's) sunny day in CA so worked outside. I find gardening always helps calm my mind.

sushipup - Please email me about lunch. Click on my forum name and send me one. I can't email you.

Thanks.
Clare

o

Clare, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, especially waiting to figure out just what is going on. As you said, best to just put it aside as much as you can until the answers arrive. How about cooking something out of your comfort zone. I remember your husband has not always been that fond of new foods, but seems as though he's gotten a lot better the past few years. I guess cooking always comes to my mind when I want to stop thinking about something. Crepes...you have to concentrate quite a bit while making them...lol.. Will be sending all the good thoughts and strength I can.

o

Clare, sending hugs and best wishes.

o

Clare, I'm so sorry to read this. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I'll send you every possible good thought and a lot of positive energy.

I hope you will be able to have lunch with Sushi - I had a great time with her and Eileen when we met for lunch - and nice things to fill the time this coming week would certainly be good.

Please keep checking back in.

Lee, sending hugs and good wishes also.

o

I'm sending you positive energy Clare. And a big hug.

o

Thanks again everyone. I will let you know how the story ends.
Clare

o

Clare, I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and sending LOADS of positive vibes your way from my little corner of Southern California!!!!
Smiles,
Sooz

o

Clare, I'm sorry you have this hanging over your head.
Time goes by so slowly
when you are waiting for something like this.

I am a very firm believer in positive thinking,
And believe even stronger in
the power of prayer.

You will definitely be in my prayers!

Rusty

o

Clare, I emailed you with a different address. Did you get it?

Helene

o

Helene - No I haven't received it yet. Maybe it is lost in cyber space. LOL

dcarch - Supposedly the vineyard is organic because the grapes are sold to an organic winery. Who really knows if that is true! What the previous owners did before the current owners 7+ years ago I will never know because they are deceased.

Thanks for all the continued well wishes. I am keeping busy so I don't dwell on it. I hate waiting though.
Clare

o

Clare, maybe check your spam filter? Send your address to Barnmom and she can send it to me.

Yes, keep busy! Is anyone going with you on Friday?

o

Praying for you!

o

Clare - so sorry to hear your news. Prayers and good thoughts coming your way from Minnesota.

Teresa

o

Helene - No I didn't get the message. I checked my SPAM folder and nothing is there. Maybe my anti-virus software is blocking it for some reason. Try sending a message to my alternate email, sefy2001@yahoo.com. I am going alone to the lab. I figure it is just a MRI so don't need anyone. If there are developments, I will call DH.

Thanks again for the positive thoughts and prayers everyone.
Clare

o

I'm so sorry to hear you're having to go through this.
Sending prayers for the best possible diagnosis.

Deanna

o

Thinking of you today, and keeping you in my prayers!

o

Thanks everyone. Doing some baking today. I do that when I am nervous. Made some corn bread muffins to have with the fried chicken tonight. Still haven't decided on dessert. Maybe chocolate pudding. Having all my favorites.
Clare

o

Will be thinking about you tomorrow......

o

Yes, keep cooking! That's good to keep you busy! Let me know if I can help.

Helene

o

Thoughts are with you, Clare.

/tricia

o

Your dinner sounds great, it's nice that you are having your favorites. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers also.

Lee

o

I'll be sending good thoughts and keeping you in my prayers tomorrow, Clare.

Annie

o

Still sending my best warmest thoughts Clare!

-Rob

o

Thinking about you today...

o

I'll be thinking good, positive thoughts for you today. I hope you can use your time during the MRI to relax and take a nap ---- that's what I always do.

o

Just checking in to see if you got any results.

Deanna

o

Sending healthy, happy outcome thoughts.

Eileen

o

Thanks everyone!!! Still have 5 hours of waiting before I have the test. Keeping busy doing housework. The house have never looked better. LOL
Clare

o

More good thoughts coming your way.

Lee

o

Thinking about you Clare...got my fingers crossed too!

Nancy

o

Checking in. Thinking of you.

o

....updates?

o

I just saw this, so the MRI should either be over with or soon will be. You are in my prayers.

o

Just got back a little after 5PM. I got there at 2:45PM, the appt. was at 3:15PM. Didn't know what the traffic would be like so left home at 2:30PM. I don't know why they wanted me 15 minutes early. I didn't have any paperwork to fill out and I was already checked in. It must have happened when I went in for the eye xrays for metal. (I work with metal so you have to get an xray to make sure you have none inbedded in your eyeballs.)

So I waited till 3:45 before they called me in. Then the person who was suppose to be done had to redo it because she kept moving and coughing. So had to wait another 1/2 hour in the little MRI waiting room. The test itself took 1/2 hour and I was was the perfect patient. Didn't even bat an eyelash. It was a 1/2 hour of extremely loud clicks, knocks, buzzes, bangs, clangs. I was given earplugs and headphones to muffle the noise, but it was still very loud. Reminded me of some tecno industrial rock music I have heard.

The doctor won't get the test results till late Monday or Tuesday. They said if there was something unusual the radiologist would have check it and called my doctor and I would have been checked in at the hospital. So I guess it is good news, since I at home typing this.
Clare

o

Been thinking about you all day Clare. Sending healing thoughts your way!
Lpink

o

Sounds very hopeful. I hope you get good news. I bet if anything awful showed up on the MRI you would have heard right away.

(metal in your eyeballs? Yuck!)

o

Good, enjoy the weekend.

o

I agree, it's time to enjoy the weekend. At least you know it's not a dire emergency right now, or they'd have called you.

I'll still be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Annie

o

I'm glad to hear it's not a critical situation today. Yes, have a good weekend and keep us posted.

Lee

o

Big exhale.

Have a lovely weekend.

Eileen

o

Take time to have a great weekend and enjoy the nice weather. Lunch next week?

Helene

o

I'm glad the test is over with and you can enjoy the weekend. I still have my fingers crossed for you.

Sally

o

So happy you got to go back home. Keeping my fingers crossed and sending you best wishes for good health.

o

Thanks again everyone. I am amazed by all this support. I really do appreciate it. Going to enjoy a sunny weekend outside in my garden since it is suppose to be in the 60's.
Best to all of you too.
Clare

o

Clare, so glad the MRI is behind you and there is no apparent issue.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts as you await the results. Chin up...it's gonna be fine.

Linda

o

Thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed.

Sue

o

Keeping you in my thoughts!

o

I came hoping for some news, I'll keep checking and hoping.

Annie

o

Me too!

o

I'm keeping you in my thoughts also.

Lee

o

Waiting for results is the worst part......
Looking for good news.
Linda C

o

If I don't hear from the doctor by Wednesday, I am going to call. I hate waiting too.
Thanks everyone for sending good thoughts.
Clare

o

Just checking in to see how everything is going. Still sending good thoughts and prayers out to you. NancyLouise

o

I'm just checking in too. I'd definitely be calling the doctoo, if it was me that was waiting!

Annie

o

Sorry for the typo, that would be "calling the Doc, too".

Annie

o

I called and at least got them to move the appt. from the 26th to the 14th. I guess if you not dying, then there is no big rush. I know I should be relieved, but I just want to know what is going on. I got the results in an email and it was not normal, but the explanation was medical gibberish to me. I did lots of web searches but it more confusing than helpful. I need the doctor to explain it. I want to move on with my life and not have this hanging over my head.
Clare

o

How frustrating for you. I'll keep thinking of you. It does seem like it's not life threatening, or they'd be hustling you in faster, I think. I'll keep thinking of you and checking in on the thread.

Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here