SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momj47

Not more snow............

momj47
14 years ago

They keep upping the depth for the snow in Baltimore this weekend, now it's up to 30". This is the sixth storm of the winter - we might as well be in Canada, for heaven sakes! How's everyone else doing?

{{gwi:1442380}}

Comments (51)

• lindac
    14 years ago

It's snowing here....again....

• jessyf
    14 years ago

Raining here in SoCal.

(Mom, think Ceiling cat will let him in? Does anyone else get that? Sol?)

• Related Discussions

Snow, snow and more snow

Q

Comments (18)
    The last time we had any measurable amount of snow was in mid-December (about a foot). Since then, pretty much just flurries now and then. We haven't had a winter this dry for a long time. WE'RE supposed to be the Great White North, but instead, you guys are getting walloped! You may have a few more broken canes in the spring, but, like everyone says, the snow will insulate and give much needed moisture to your soil. Hope you are all o.k....be careful not to overdue the shoveling. You wouldn't want to put your back out just before spring. Judith
    ...See More

Snow, Snow and more snow!

Q

Comments (9)
    Coeur d'Alene had 127 inches of snow by yesterday and then a little more fell. This was a new seasonal record and nearly double normal. Seems like when I lived right in town about 30 years ago, there was more snow to deal with. I think that might be true but with a certain amount of melting, some drifting, and days of shoveling - it's real hard to make much sense out of the landscape. I'm considering "burrowing" next. There were winds of 35 - 40 mph with gusts near 50, today. Lots of roads in and out of communities in the Columbia Basin are closed because of drifting and white-out conditions. I think it is now going to turn to rain except for up where you are, Margaret. And, even western MT may get rain by Sunday. Hopefully, there won't be very much. digitS'
    ...See More

Snow, Snow and more Snow

Q

Comments (23)
    SE Wisc: Someone turned of the "snow switch" at 3 pm this afternoon. The forecasters are predicting 4 to 6 inches. I know it will be more than 4 inches becasue we have that much right now. Its messy to deal with, but we need the gound moisture. It'll be good for the winter wheat and hay grasses planted last fall. My backyard deer herd appeared early this evening to brouse. They usually come around at midnight or later. Today, they apeared at 5 pm - it was almost dark and snowing. There are 7 in this herd and all came out tonight. Often, only a few at a time apear in the open with the others staying under cover.
    ...See More

Snow and more snow

Q

Comments (13)
    We've had 77.9 inches in North Idaho this month. Another storm rolling in tonight. 1/2 the work force can't seem to be able to make it to work. If I hear one more time how "lucky" I am to be able to walk to work in this sh**! I'm gonna blow my top. Roofs are caving in all over the place. I mentioned to boss yesterday that I'm worried about the snow accumulation on this old place. The roof has needed replaced since we moved in here 15 years ago. There is probably more than four feet of snow up there now. He just shrugged me off. But he's not the one sitting here wondering if the roof is gonna fall on me any minute.
    ...See More
  • pkramer60
    14 years ago

Teeny, tiny flakes just started here, but we are only getting about an inch. Nothing like the No'easter!

• Virginia7074
    14 years ago

We're in northern VA, about 25 mi. NW of DC, where National Weather Service is forecasting 24-36" Nephew is in B'more, too, momj47!

We are hunkered down, prepared for a power outage AND the Super Bowl, so I say - Bring it, Mother Nature, BRING IT!!! (Besides, what can anyone do about it anyway?!)

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Ours started early this morning, and keeps getting deeper. Now it's big fat flakes that are really coming down, and it looks like about 7 new inches so far. Who knows what it will be when it's done? I'm totally sick of it. They're telling us we're supposed to get even more on Monday than we're getting today.

Where is that darn snow gauge when I need it? Oh yeah, it's in the basement, bent and injured from the last ice storm. I ordered new floor mats this year for my AWD because of all the snow we've had, which are supposed to come today. I didn't expect to need them so much!

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

No snow here, hasn't been any serious accumulation all winter. Our road hasn't even been plowed once!

We might as well be in Baltimore, for heaven sakes! ; ) LOL

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I'm still in my office and I keep looking out the window to see if it has started. It should be here outside Philadelphia momentarily. I have had enough , thanks.

I haven't heard the latest prediction -- last was a foot.

• debattheweb
    14 years ago

virginia7074-
    We're probably neighbors! Yes, I wet tot he grocery store yesterday morning BEFORE the crowds hit! Did you see the news and the lines of people outside our area grocery stores this morning?! Good grief!

We're prepared for "shelter in place" for quite a while! You said exactly what I told DH..."Bring it, Mother Nature, BRING IT!!! (Besides, what can anyone do about it anyway?!) !!!

Deb (used to be Momto4kids)

• trudy_gw
    14 years ago

That cat looks exactly like our basement cat Frodo. Eyes and all! Frodo can get the Garfield looks when he wants to.

He went out once this morning. He usually goes back out after lunch. I opened the basement door, snow was flying in on his face, he turned around and looked at me. The LOOK said...."Not Snow Again!" He decided to stay in. 5:30 pm and still snowing. Just saw the weather, possibly another 5 inches on Sunday or Monday I dont remember which.

Hoping everyone in the east keeps there power for the Superbowl!

Gets to the point I want to mute the weather and just see the snow flurries. That way you dont worry about how much!

• blueiris24
    14 years ago

We haven't had snow here in a while and I WANT some -- send it this way!

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

You can send some this way, too. I'm not anywhere near ready for winter to be over.

• dlynn2
    14 years ago

It was a beautiful sunny day here in Colorado. Let's hope it stays that way. I think our mountains are getting blasted, though.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Yep - snowing here right now. I'm not sure about the predicted amounts though.... we are supposed to get 15 to 18 inches and it looks like about 4 is on the ground and it has been snowing since 9 last night. Sure doesn;t look like it is going to accumulate that much, but time will twll!

Alexa

• traceys
    14 years ago

I would love it if someone would send me some snow. We only got an inch. Hopefully we'll get some on Wednesday.

Tracey

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Oh wow, we get a solid two feet so far and it isn't over yet. I think we'll get a few more inches. I went out and shoveled what I could, but I pooped out. I want to get it before it packs hard. I have had ENOUGH for this year.

Tracey, I heard that upstate hardly got any. I guess they want it in the Poconos, for the skiers.

• momj47
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, the power finally came back on, and the worst of the snow is over. My neighbor, bless his heart, is blowing the snow out of the driveway, but there's no place to go.

The official measurement at the airport is 26.5", not sure how much I have. Lots of drifting with all the wind.

Guess I'll make bread.

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Mom j47, come on to Ontario...no snow. Too bad about the $350 we paid for a seasonal snowmobile pass....no snow : (

Hell , we've had it, so we are heading to the Southern States later this month, maybe we will find some snow there !

All joking aside, this is nutso weather.

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

After posting my last post a funny image went through my mind.

Canadians always joke about Americans who cross into Canada in June with skis! Can't wait to see the US border guys face when we cross over the US border in March heading to the Carolinas with a snowmobile! OK, sorry, but it struck me as funny.......

• momj47
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is weird weather. 22" at my home. Come on down, and bring the snowmobile. Though the Carolina's got a lot of rain, too, and had some landslides yesterday.

I must say, the local governments have done a good job, so far, though I doubt we'll be out till Monday or Tuesday.

Our street was plowed last night, but not today, yet. I imagine the County road crews are working on the main roads, and we are definitely not a main road. My neighbor just went by with his plow truck, but he can't get up the hill, it's too deep and very slippery, so I guess we wait for the County trudks to come down the hill.

We usually get a storm like this every 8 or 10 years, but we've had two this winter, and now they are talking about another storm next week! Where do I surrender.

Here is a link that might be useful: My little corner of winter

• Georgysmom
    14 years ago

In Williamsburg we didn't get as much snow as you did in N.VA. The sun and rain took care of most of the eight inches we had from last Saturday. So far only received a few inches. However, we have a very steep driveway and I'm hoping it won't prevent us from getting to our Super Bowl party tomorrow. The hostess is making coq au vin and beef bourguignonne. How good does that sound? I may have to walk there!

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

I'm in Northern VA also but further out then the ones above. We're about 40 miles outside of DC. Boy we did get a good snow this time. In my back yard as of right now (6:30 p.m.) we have approx. 31 inches+. Now they are talking about that other dreaded storm on Tuesday.

I saw the stores jammed packed on the news. I went the day before the storm hit as I really did need some stuff but bought some other stuff that really was not necessary. It's pretty as we don't need to go any place and I'm sure we are not going to see a plow for a couple of days.

• jessyf
    14 years ago

momj47, you've got mail!

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

Poor kitty and poor momj47. So glad I live in the South.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

It really sounds terrible for some of you; I hope it gets better quickly. And I thought I was freezing today at 57 degrees. The guest room is ready for anyone who wants to take advantage. Oh, and bring Basement Cat.

• momj47
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1442382}}

• Virginia7074
    14 years ago

Well, this was certainly a whopper of a snowstorm! Power went out around 2:30am and was back on by noon. Neighbor's tree fell on a power line and since it was a real live wire, power company came quickly to repair it.

Momj47, from the sound of it, I think we are neighbors! I'm close to the airport and the new Wegmans, which had 34.5 inches. School is already cancelled for Monday and Tuesday and I think we could be out even longer. (I work at a school, so I'm not very objective!)

Dixiedog, I've heard talk of another storm on Tuesday, but the TV stations aren't saying much about it. I guess they figure we can't handle any more snow talk right now!

• traceys
    14 years ago

Barely an inch here Pam. I haven't had to have the driveway plowed once this winter. I'm saving money I guess.

Momj, Loved you pictures. My daughters jealous, she wants snow!

Tracey

• momj47
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tracey, we'll be more than happy to give her all the snow she wants!

Virginia, I'm up in the hills north of the City. The neighbors have been great at getting us all dug out, but there's no place to go. My kids live in the city and they are having a ball - restaurants and bars are open and they can walk everywhere, but out here in the 'burbs, businesses would be crazy to open.

I can't believe how fast the utilities are coming back on, it must be a nightmare out there, since most roads are still impassable. They've done an amazing job.

You have to wonder what they are going to do with all this snow, especially in the city. If they plow the streets they block the sidewalks, and when they clear the sidewalks and parking lots, they put it back out in the streets. Most side streets and alleys won't be plowed at all. They'll probably have to dump the snow in the harbor.

It's easy to tell where the County/City line is, the streets go from pretty good to awful. The funny thing is, that the City Reservoir, out here in the County, is maintained by the City Public Works Department and the roads around the reservoir are always the first plowed and are kept clear.

After the big December snow, we got an email from the Public Works Department boasting that because of all their hard work over the weekend, we could all come to work, as usual, on Monday. When we got there we found that the streets, even the main ones, were barely plowed, and there was no place to park. Our parking lot had been shoveled, by the staff, only to have the city plow come through and completely block the entrance and sidewalks and make it impossible to park. I can't wait to read the email they send this afternoon.

Barb

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Chase, your posts cracked me up. "Might as well be in Baltimore." I was rolling on the floor laughing.
    No snow here in southern lower Michigan except for the stuff from the last storm that hasn't melted. Plenty cold and windy, but no new snow.

• debattheweb
    14 years ago

Hi everyone! It's a bright sunny day with nearly 3 ft of snow on the ground!

Dixiedog_2007, Momj47 and Virginia7074...it sounds like I'm just a tad bit south of you. I'm in the northwestern portion of my county which is slightly north of the southern part of your county. We probably got 30" at least, with drifts of 4-5 feet in some parts of our yard because of the wind pattern we get around the mountain.

Our power went out twice on Saturday for a couple of hours at a time. Thank goodness for the generator I insisted (and DH resisted!) on installing!! We had to continuously shovel snow out of the pen we put up for the dogs. It's like a fortress around the pen! The snow's up over my shoulders on some sides!

They haven't canceled school in our county yet...thought I suspect they will. The kids have all done their homework...just in case! LOL! But I'm going to let them stay up and watch the Super Bowl since DH's beloved Saints are playing...and he's THERE, by the way! Lucky him.

Here are some pix of our snow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Does my link work?

• momj47
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Goodness, you don't even need fences, the snow canyons keep the dogs well contained.

It's too funny to think that schools, or much of anything else, will be able to open tomorrow.

Stay warm.

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Debattheweb, the snow pictures are great, but those children are adorable. Are they yours?

• debattheweb
    14 years ago

Sherry! It's me, Deb...used to be Momto4Kids! I changed my name because there seemed to be so many similarly-named posters! Yes, those are my children...they've grown since I last posted a picture, huh?!!

Our county finally canceled school for Monday! I'm sure they're in a panic...we must be out of snow days by now.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Deb, the dogs almost look like they are in a swimming pool. You are good dog-parents to dig that out for them.

Our official total was 28.5 inches. I went out and cleared out my car today, plus what the snowplow pushed in front of the driveway and also a path to the front door for the mailman.

Here's how my driveway looked yesterday. I had shoveled a path to the car and the street. Thank heavens my neighbor showed up with the snowblower. By the way, I do not drive a minivan -- that's all snow on top of my old Honda!

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

That's unbelievable! Okay, I promise never to complain about raking leaves again.

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Deb! I thought those little beauties looked familiar. Oh my, they HAVE grown up! Gosh, the last time I saw them, let's see, there was one picture of them dressed up at finishing school dance, and one of them , was it jumping on the trampoline? Could it be?

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Cathy, just think -- I get to rake leaves, too. And here is some even more wonderful news -- we're supposed to get more snow this week.

• momj47
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I headed into work this morning only to get there and be told that "they" have changed their mind and are closing!!

We are getting another storm tomorrow, they are predicting 10 - 20 more inches. Great, just great.

Here is a link that might be useful: apparently he has great forecasts

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Philadelphia is expecting another 12 - 18". I could scream. Couldn't I at least have a week for my back to stop aching?? At least it will be enough snow so that there will be no question that I can't egt to work. When it's in the six inch range I always have to decide whether or not to try to get there. I have a long a hilly commute, so I avoid it if I can.

Enough already!!

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Hey Deb!

Wonderful to hear from you. I can't believe how big the kids are! When does it all happen?

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

I couldn't believe it when I awoke this morning to another snow on the ground! Thankfully it wasn't much. You guys have really had it bad this winter.

• Virginia7074
    14 years ago

DH and I just got back from Wegmans and it was packed - not quite as bad as before Thanksgiving, but close! Some parts of our county are forecast to get up to 2 feet (on top of the 3 feet they got last weekend). Our schools are now closed until next Tuesday - and I am so thankful that I work at a school!

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

What a storm! I'll never complain about six or eight inches again....well, maybe. : )

We were suppose to get some more today but it all but melted once it hit the ground. Thank you Mother Nature!

Hey Deb! Good to know about the name change. Those kids sure are growing up like so many others here on the forum.

Doesn't Kframe live in the DC Metro? I hope he is doing okay too. Hopefully he will check in if he can.

Looks like more snow for y'all from the storm that is exiting our area tonight. Stay safe and warm everyone!

David

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

Yes, Metro. area residents - VA, MD & DC - we are in deed gearing up for another storm tomorrow on top of the three+ feet that we just got. I have lived here all of my life and we have had some good snow storms but not like this.

The Fed. Gov't will be closed again tomorrow. Two days in a row. Loudoun County schools have already announced that they are closed all week. Fairfax and other surrounding counties are closed tomorrow and will decide later for the rest of the week.

We have not had a plow through yet on our side streets which didn't surprise me. The main street out of our neighborhood has been done. We have great neighbors and we all kind of made a party out of it and shoveled out streets ourselves. I guess we will be doing it again tomorrow! UGH! But we sure are burning some calories.

My sump pump hasn't worked this hard in years!

• caliloo
    14 years ago

I just heard that where I am (just NE of Philly) we are going to get another 24" on Tuesday!!!!! Holy mackeral! There is still over a foot on the ground!

(This girl from Maine is loving this but don't tell the Pennsy wusses!)

Alexa

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

Alexa I lived in Maine for a little over a year and believe me I know what you are talking about with snow there! Where in Maine were you? I lived in Limestone and worked in Presque Isle.

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

P.S. so I guess I shouldn't have said I've lived here in VA all of my life because I did have that stint in ME. LOL!

• jessyf
    14 years ago

My son's trip to DC for Model UN got cancelled. I feel bad for the students who worked so hard to plan then try to replan with flights, but it just wasn't going to happen. Just as well, safety first, but still.

• dlynn2
    14 years ago

Bummer, Jessy. My son would be so disappointed. DC is his favorite town.

• debattheweb
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone!!!

Jessyf...did you get my phone msg or my email??? BTW, we're expecting more snow on Monday, Feb 15!! Light accumulation...but that's what they said when this latest storm was in the making!

We've had more small power outtages...but the bigger issue for a few days were the phones and our T1 line. Thank goodness the sat dish was only out for a few hours during all this time! I guess the phone lines and T1 line are two separate wires, but it's weird how one will be out and the other will be on, then vice versa, when they're coming from the same physical box. I don't understand it. But, for now, we have all of our "conveniences" on at the same time...so we're happy!

I just went outside to see how the snow drifted overnight. Wow! I feel like we live in Buffalo! At some point, though, bless his heart, our plow guy came through and got our street. So, if I can get him to put us on the list for our "too long to do by shovel" driveway...maybe we can get outta here in a few days!!

I made DH leave town the day before the first snow hit because he was going to the Super Bowl to watch his Saints. Then he had to go straight to NYC. He missed all the "fun" here, but did get hit with snow in NYC. But he didn't have to do the shoveling there! LOL! He's now on a train on his way to DC. Let's just hope he can get from DC to home! Won't be easy!!