SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie_que12

Insult to injury...salt in a wound??

susie_que
14 years ago

Hi guys.

Just wanted to vent a little....

Our dear friend who recently passed away was the court appointed custodial parent for his 2 sons ages 13 and 16.

Mom was in serious need of some mental and emotional help so it was decided that she would get limited supervised visits until she got herself back together.

A little back history...mom was abusive to the older son. She favored the younger boy. It was Dans greatest hope that she would get better and try to mend a relationship with the older boy but alas it never happened and when brought to the attention of the courts, Dan was awarded sole custody of the older boy and mom got no visitation.

Dan never wanted his boys to be without their mother and made it a point to include her in everything including vacations with both boys and holiday, birthday ect...

He kept a very watchful eye on the situation at all times because it was clear that mom was not well. Mom still wanted nothing to do with the older son.

At the funeral, mom was there sitting with the boys-she was after all Dans wife and the mother of the boys.

I saw she was in intense pain. I knew she still loved Dan.

I felt so bad for her so I took her hand but I said nothing because I knew of all the turmoil she caused while Dan was alive....she made some sort of comment about me being a true friend...I'm not sure as the whole day was surreal for me.

After the divorce mom moved back with her parents and Dan, with the 2 boys moved back in with his parents. The family house was sold and divided. Everything was fine until Dan died.

About 3 weeks ago the mom had filed for custody of the younger boy. The hearing is not until May.

She has stated on the court documents that she has no intention of persuing her older son....more or less he is fine to remain with his paternal grandparents. She only wants the younger one.

Frankie stopped by pops house recently and he is beyond peeved!! He says he will never break up these 2 boys and if she wants the little one then she has to take the older one too!!

The younger boy has made it clear that he does NOT want to live with his mother.

Pop says if she goes ahead with this plan then Pop will have no choice but to sue her for back child support which she NEVER gave to Dan in the 7-8 years they were divorced.

Now I am not an appointed judge and maybe my emotions are a tad raw still but why on earth should mom get custody of the younger boy??

He is happy with his grands...he is healthy and doing well in school...he has friends and a life which includes various activities and sports that his grands make sure he gets to.

Here is the clincher....the grands are not well. Pop is going deaf and Gmom is in declining health.

Recently here in Philly there was a very well known case where grandparents who were in their late 80's filed for custody of their young grandson. They were denied and the boy went into fostercare.

Gosh I am just so sad for Dans whole family....its just so sad that they can't come up with some sort of resolution and I just want to help in any way I can!!

I just wanted to vent-and see if anyone has any advice for the family.

Frank and I get the boys in a few weeks during Spring break and I know this topic will come up.

Thanks!

PEACE!

Susie

Comments (8)