SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adoptedbygreyhounds

Love stories

In honor of Valentines Day, here are my grandparents and parents love stories. Hope you will feel free to post your own love stories.

My grandfather had been courting my grandmother (my motherÂs mother) for a while and decided she was the one and went to her father to ask for her hand in marriage. This would have been around 1910 to 1912. Her father said he couldnÂt approve the match because grandfather was a professional baseball player and he didnÂt feel that was a reliable way to earn a living and support his daughter. But if grandfather would find a more acceptable line of work, he would give his blessing. And so he did. My grandfather became a traveling salesman for a menÂs clothing company, they were married, and my mother was born in 1915.

Apparently, at age 36, my father fell in love with my mother (age 22) from across the room, at first sight, and had to meet her. Being somewhat proper and victorian, he insisted on doing things correctly and needed an introduction. He finally realized that the girlfriend of his colleague at work lived in the same boarding house as my future mother. My mother said that the entire office (she was a Girl Scout executive) knew what was going on and gathered discretely to watch as my father and his friend walked through the office up to her desk and formal introductions were made.

They were married in 1937, had three children, five grandchildren, and celebrated 50 years together.

Dear husband and I are celebrating our own love story today. We were married 39 years ago, and in another blizzard.

WhoÂs next with a love story to share?

Comments (5)

• sheshebop
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

When I was a sophomore, there was a boy that I liked and was hoping would ask me to the Christmas dance. He did not have a driver's license. My older brother was afraid that this boy would ask me and he (my brother)would be forced to double date with us (and he did not like this boy). So, the next day my brother was talking to a classmate (Roger) who asked my brother if he knew any cute girls he could ask to the Christmas dance. My brother said, "yeah, my sister would probably like to go."
    So Roger sent me a note that he would like to meet me. So we arranged to meet in the school library and he asked me to the Christmas dance. And, well, we have been married now going on 42 years. We have 3 children and 5 granddaughters and 1 grandson. And in my eyes, Roger is still that blond cutie with curly hair that I first met in the library. (Except now he has no hair, LOL)
    Sherry

• annie1992
    14 years ago

My love story is much newer than Sherry's or adopted's, mine's only a few years old.

After 30 years of marriage, my husband moved out and moved in with his girlfriend. I filed for divorce and spent my 50th birthday divorced and wondering how the heck my life became so different than I had planned at my age. I was absolutely not interested in meeting anyone, friends who tried to "fix me up" were told that I was not broken, thanks.

I had my WeinerDog and my kids and I was contented enough most of the time. I dated a friend which ended badly and I lost a friend. Then the WonderWeiner was diagnosed with lymphoma and I lost him, that's when I fell apart. My boss was "afraid for me". She called every night for weeks and every night I cried. Finally she "bullied" me into joining eHarmony, saying that I didn't have to date anyone or even meet them, but it would be interesting to email people all over the United States. I was too tired to say "no" so she signed me up and paid for it. I talked to a popcorn farmer in Ohio, a minister in Pennsylvania, a pilot from Texas, a private detective from Florida, a cheese maker from Wisconsin, a woodworker from Idaho. The pilot flew to Michigan to meet me. I wasn't particularly impressed with any of them.

Then Elery came along, one of the few men who were actually from Michigan, since I had no intention of ever moving. We emailed for several months, then he gave me his phone number and we talked on the phone for several more. When we decided to meet, I ran his criminal history and then ran him past the forum, LOL. They approved conditionally.

We met at a very public spot, Meijer Gardens. We went out to lunch, then I told him I was going to Penzey's and Russo's. He told me he'd like to come along, so he did. We went exploring and found the Mediterranean Market. Our "lunch" lasted 7 hours.

A couple of weeks later he came to my house, we went to the farm, I spent a lot of time keeping him at emotional arm's length. Eventually he told me that he fell in love with me over that first lunch. He still remembers the date, I never do, LOL. I told him I didn't care to talk about it.

He sent me a food processor for my birthday, I obsessed over it for days, then kept it. He helped me cook for the Michigan Run and met Linda (doucanoe), Sherry and Roger, Michelle. They approved, I think. For Christmas we went to Nashville to see the Rockettes because I told him that I'd never wanted to be Miss America, I always wanted to be a Rockette. I took him to Chicago for his birthday in January and he met Peppi, she approved.

He proposed. I turned him down and told him I didn't care to talk about it. He proposed several more times, I turned him down several more times. I finally put him on "probation", told him if he could stay a nice guy for a period of months, I'd consider it. His reaction was to take me to Traverse City, talk to the captain of a restored schooner, convince him to let me "drive", then he got down on one knee in the middle of Grand Traverse Bay and proposed in front of the captain, crew and other passengers. I told him that if he could stay nice for a year, I'd marry him then.

He kept trying to set a date, trying to set a date. Finally we got married in May and took our honeymoon to Joe's Gizzard City, LOL.

He's still sweet, he's still kind, we're still married. the only thing that has changed is that I'm no longer a member of eHarmony. (grin)

Oh, and BTW, my boss met a guy on eHarmony too, they were married on a small island off the coast of Florida last July.

Annie

• adoptedbygreyhounds
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sherry, that blond cutie sounds like a real sweetheart. Congratulations on 42 years That is something to be proud of.

Annie, I always enjoy your and Elery's love story. It also works as a suspense story...When will Annie come to her senses? Will Elery give up and go away broken hearted? Thank goodness you both realized you had found keepers.

Thanks to you both for sharing your stories.

• triciae
    14 years ago

Ah, this is fun.

My grandfather arrived in America on February 15, 1907 from Norka, Russia. He was 15 years old & dragging 2 siblings, his younger sisters. Their parents had been killed by the Russian military during one of the raids on village grain storehouses. An older brother paid their fare & sent them on their way to live with another sibling (sister) living in Portland, Oregon with her husband & young children. They had emigrated a couple years earlier. Grandpa made his way up the Volga River to Moscow, then continued to St. Petersburg. From St. Petersburg to Liverpool. They made the crossing in steerage & arrived at Ellis Island. On the entire crossing nobody spoke their native language (German-Russian dialect) so they chatted with each other about their fears, hopes, & plans for a new life in America. From NYC they boarded the train for the long trip across America to Portland where their sister Elizabeth (Lizzie) was waiting. Again, they had only themselves to talk with & Grandpa spoke often about the young girl he left behind in Norka. Her name was Catherina Maria & she was 3 years younger than Grandpa. Catherina had long blond hair & blue eyes & Grandpa was quite smitten with her. He'd given her his most precious possession before he left Russia...a hand embroidered hankie that his mother (my G-grandmother) had made when she was a new bride. My Grandpa was child 6 of 9. The youngest was too young for Grandpa to take to America so that little girl remained behind in Russia with Grandpa's older brother.

Catherina Maria was the middle child from a family of 8 children. She was never a strong child & often sickly. But she was beautiful with a soft, clear voice & loved music. Her older brother told me that Chatherina would tell the entire family that she was going to marry my Grandpa Pete someday &, of course, they laughed.

These were the years building up to the Russian Revolution & life in the Russian villages was brutal. Many were emigrating. Catherina's parents, together with her older siblings, made the decision to give up their plot of hard earned land in Norka & go to America after their second son, Johannes, had been killed in the Russian military. So, the family arrived in Philadelphia, PA on March 15, 1910, via the American Line ship "Merion", from Liverpool, England. They also made their way across America to join friends & neighbors already living in Portland. Young Catherina drove her youngest brother, Jacob, crazy with tales of how she was going to marry Pete afterall.

On May 23, 1913 the two young lovebirds married in Portland surrounded by about a 100 loved ones who had made the long trip from Norka & were now living in "Little Rushsa" (Portland). None too soon either...my Dad came along in mid-November 1913. :) Catherina never fully recovered from Dad's birth & she was pregnant again by February 1914 giving birth just 5 days after my Dad's 1st birthday.

Catherina Maria passed away from a cogenital heart condition in May 1915.

My Dad first saw Mom early spring 1933 when she was walking to highschool. Dad was working at a family owned gas station to augment money he earned evenings playing his accordion. Dad quit school after 8th grade to concentrate on his music & help support the family. He was determined to meet the young woman who had ignored his rude wolf whistle as she scurried past the gas station to school. He waited all day for her to walk by on her way home. When he saw her...Dad swaggered over & said something along these lines, "Hey, don't look the other way. You're pretty. Would you like to go for an airplane ride with me?" Dad was never known for being subtle. He was also never known for doing the ordinary. Mom was horrified but couldn't help noticing his blond hair & blue eyes & his toned muscles from years of hard work & playing his accordion. The next day, Dad never allowing a, "No!", to be a final answer was prepared when Mom again came walking to school. This time, he had his accordion. He serenaded her on the streets of Portland to make, hopefully, a better impression. Mom also loved music & played piano. She stopped, listened, & the rest is history. They were married the following January.

I was bored & looking for a new job. Answering an ad in the Denver Post took me to a luncheon interview. When the two gentlemen stood up to greet me I couldn't help but notice one as he extended his hand to shake mine. He didn't hire me but 3 weeks later we were living together & were married 27 years ago. Sometimes, love does happen at first glance.

/tricia

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

These are cute.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting