SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

atta girl update

jojoco
14 years ago

Thanks for all your well wishes. It was actually handled in a way to minimize confrontation.

The meeting began as a regular meeting. After a while, the pres went outside with my son's coach (he is a fellow board member). The pres returned a few minutes later alone. Then he told me they were going to discuss it and offered me the chance to update the board on the situation. He also said that the board would discuss the matter without me, after I had spoken. Fair enough. This way, the decision is made without me and is more impartial. I was okay with that. So I gave a factual account of the events, even took some blame because as a board member I should have been able to better prevent the situation in the first place. I ended my presentation by saying that I wasn't asking for equal playing time, but equal development. Because that is what it is all about.

I got a call later on in the evening from the pres. He said they voted to suspend the coach for one game and that the ass't coaches were told to play the three kids who get little playing time at least 3 shifts per period (three periods in a game). In one game, my son and his two teammates will play more than they played in a four game tournament.

According to the pres, the coach was "terse" which means pissed. He was told that the board supports him and just wants him to fix this. His response was that the problem was with just one parent (me). The pres said that they have received lots of call from other parents too.

Fast forward to today. In my inbox is an email from the coach telling the board he is resigning as a board member and the coach.

So that is it. I haven't said anything to anyone or my son because I half expect more drama and people asking him to stay. I am not happy with the outcome because he also pulled his son from the program and that hurts his son. It now looks very me vs. him, instead of it being a case where we could have helped him learn to be a better coach during his first year.

Sorry so long.

Jo

Comments (14)