Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earthquake!?

Posted by pkramer (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 10, 10 at 8:02

Yes, here in Illinois. We had a 4.3 at about 4 a.m. this morning, after we got 14 inches of snow. The center was in Sycamore. I didn't feel a thing, but reports are coming in that people were jolted out of bed by falling books. One women was awake and reported that her bird fell off his perch!

Are locust next?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earthquake!?

Yep, sure enough. Here's the USGS info. It was 3.8 officially and only 5 km deep. That's why is was so noticeable. Being a CA native, I'm always interested in earthquakes & track them on a worldwide basis every day. They are startling, huh?

/t

Here is a link that might be useful: USGS

o

Eeeek!

o

DS is in Chicago - didn't feel it either, Peppi. He is on North Cleveland - anywhere near you?

o

Hope the New Madrid fault strain is not moving north. Not to wish anything bad for New Madrid but I'd rather those quakes not come my way. An underwater forest to the east of me and I can only wonder how it got there.

: )
lyra

o

Wow, glad it wasn't anything more serious. But that's a little too close to home for comfort!

Linda

o

I'm so glad all is well.

o

People felt that all the way into Michigan, Peppi. I didn't, but I'm busy shovelling my driveway out, we got snow too.

Here in the Midwest we've had the floods, the fires, the blizzards and now, the earthquakes. Like you, I'm wondering what's next, we usually have boring weather. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, that's about it.

Annie

o

Woodie, if I remember correctly, he is in the Anderson/Uptown area, so he is east of me. I am 7 minutes east of O'Hare airport, just off the Kennedy expressway.

Lyra, this was just a ground plate shift they tell us. If it were the New madrid, we would be in big trouble, along the lines of Haiti or worse. New madrid hasn't moved in a decent fashion, blowing off steam in over 100 years. That one scares me.

o

Peppi, Have you had any aftershocks?

I remember being rolled out of bed by an earthquake of similar magnitude in the early a.m. in Santa Barbara, CA. It unnerved me a little; I looked for reports of the earthquake at the time, but it was not considered worth reporting much about! I guess it depends on where you live. Earthquakes are so unexpected, it's a lot different than getting ''weather''. I remember the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, that sent my couch rolling around the room, three hours away from the epicenter. It sounded like trucks were going down my street. I called my cousin in Santa Cruz and the aftershocks sounded like jets taking off. I had a bit of ptss for quite a while after that. Tornados seemed a better bet to this midwestern girl!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here