SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colleenoz

Shingles- can't recommend them

colleenoz
13 years ago

Last Thursday as I was watching TV I felt like I had slept on a rock and a patch on my back was really aching. I had been sitting at the computer all afternoon so I assumed I had twisted something.

Next morning, I had a similar ache in my chest, figured another muscle had gone out in sympathy. When my side started aching as well, a penny dropped.

Tappity tap. "Shingles. Starts off as an ache. Next you get a rash, headaches and nausea." Hmmm. Doesn't sound good.

Next morning, nausea. Was it the cream cheese on my bagel? By lunchtime my sides really ached so I called in at our local hospital for the nurse's opinion. "How long have you had this rash?" Ack.

I was going down to the city to work for the week so I called in at an after-hours clinic on the way- it's important to start the medication within 48-72 hours. Yep, said the nice lady doctor, it's shingles.

Fortunately it doesn't itch, just feels like I've been kicked in the ribs with steel-capped boots, then rubbed over with a cheese grater and lemon juice. Lots of painkillers helps. Most of it is right where my...ahem...lady underwear is, which doesn't help.

I'm REALLY hoping I'm not one of those poor souls who gets stuck with the nerve pain for months :-(

Comments (20)