Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ducks, Geese and Swans

Posted by jimster (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 25, 11 at 23:14

How do they survive winter temperatures? It's amazing.

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ducks, Geese and Swans

And why don't they fly south?

dcarch

o

Geese.... wish they would fly south, and stay!!!! They are pretty and fun to watch, but they sure make lots of messes in my yard and on the sidewalk.

o

I hate to mention it but what about their impact on clams, mussels and oysters, all filter feeders? Is dilution the solution to pollution?

And I didn't include gulls, which are omnipresent, just part of the ambience.

Jim

o

Our flocks here on the central California coast are pretty stable. But there's a lot of migration as well. Some resident pesty flocks of geese, but there are apparently lots more that just stop in on their way to elsewhere.

I don't know if I've ever seen a wild swan, but there are lots of egrets and herons around here. And hawks. We have the most gorgeous hawks in our little canyon. One sits on the wires across the front of our property and I love to watch it soar over the pastures. I hear the owls every night, too.

So we these marvelous predatory birds, why did we have a mouse explosion in the house last summer? Sigh. I should adopt a hawk, the old cat is useless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heorns and egrets

o

Hi Jim:
In the Wildfowl Artist Carvers world we don't talk about
all the boo boo's and poop poo's.
Just the beauty and grace of God's Creatures.
As you would an Infant.

I've had to tiptoe thru the Tulips many times, LOL !!!
Here are some of the Wildfowl Carvings mentioned above.
The Seagulls are not carvings.
LOU

Swan, Impressionistic Style, exaggerated neck

Seagulls in Flight

Redtailed Hawk and Weasel ( named Rivals )
Chipmonk hiding in the Driftwood.

o

dlynn, thank you very much but we already have far more than enough of the geese, so would you mind not foisting them off on us poor southerners?:-)

jude

o

Those are magnificent carvings, Lou. The swan carving gives a perfect impression of the swans I've been watching. When they sleep they just lower that neck further until it rests on their back. I saw 14 of them slowly drifting around like pillows in a salt pond as they took an afternoon snooze.

Jim

o

Jim, we've got a large over-wintering population of mute swans here also. Did you know they are an invasive exotic species native to Europe & Asia? Many northeastern states are instigating control efforts. I don't believe they eat fish...just aquatic veggies...they're considered destructive to our native marshland habitats because they uproot aquatic grasses just for the heck of it that fish & other shoreland fowl use as homes & a food source. They're attractive so it's hard to watch them & realize that they need to be greatly reduced in numbers. The Mystic River is not really a "river". It's an estuary & the swans are very destructive to our ecosystem.

/tricia

PS Lou, I absoltely love your carvings! Thanks for the postings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mute Swans

o

There is a local artist who does the most amazing wood carvings I have ever seen. You absolutely want to reach out and touch the feathers. His work is in a gallery in my town. It is a treat to view.
Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: How can these be made of wood?

o

"Did you know they are an invasive exotic species native to Europe & Asia?"

I was surprised to learn that just the other day. I also discovered from my reading that they uproot eelgrass, which is important among other things as habitat for bay scallops. The bay scallop population here has suffered from an absence of eelgrass, which fortunately has started to recover in recent years.

Jim

o

Lou,
You carved all those incredible birds? Wow, unbelievable!

o

jojoco:
Thanks !!!

No !!! I didn't carve all those birds.
I did a lot more, LOL !!!

Entered the Redtailed Hawk in Ocean City , MD. At the World Class Carving Competition.

Didn't win any Ribbons there but I was in the running.
I have won a lot of Blue Ribbions in the Pro Class on the East Coast and Livonia Michigan.

Have many Photo's but a lot of Carvings were sold.

Lou

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here