SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

tipping question

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

I had a weird experience at a restaurant the other day and I want to ask for your opinions. BF was over and I didn't feel like cooking dinner so I thought I'd we'd go to Chili's. The food isn't great, but they have happy hour all day every day and it's practically across the street. Plus, I'd been craving ribs for a while and wanted to try their new sauce. So we went... I ordered strawberry daiquiris and the chips and queso for starters. That came quickly... it was OK, but the bar tender didn't blend long enough and my drink had chunks of ice that kept clogging the straw. The guy took our order (I got ribs, mashed potatoes, and cinnamon apples, Aaron got a salad, and water to drink who's he kidding LOL) and we didn't see him again for 20 minutes. He came back to say that he put our order in late and it would be a little while longer. He apologized. 30 minutes later, the food still hadn't arrived. The server came by to say that it would be right up. I went to the restroom to wash my hands, which always infuriates me there. The powered paper towel dispenser is in your face and the faucet is too close to the back wall of the basin so you have to rub the back of the sink to get any water on your hands, yuck! When I returned, there was a jalepeno burger and fries sitting at my place. Already annoyed at having waited so long and starving to death (OK, not to death, truth be told I could live on blubber for months, but it makes a better story) I exclaimed rather loudly, "Oh my. I guess they are using invisible ribs today!" The manager rushed over (several customers were turning their heads at this point to see what the matter was, I promise I didn't mean to cause a commotion). He said that he would correct the order and apologized. They brought Aaron the wrong salad, but he was so hungry that he decided to eat it anyway... I waited 10 more minutes and finally had the correct food placed in front of me.

The server came by and said that he mixed our order up with that of another table across the way and apologized again. When we got ready to leave, the manager came over and said that he was comping everything so we didn't owe a cent. I still wanted to tip the server though... he messed up royally but he's only human and he did admit his mistakes rather than blame them on the kitchen or make excuses. I like that. However, I was going to pay with a card because I don't keep cash. Since we didn't have a bill, I didn't have a way to leave any money for him. I felt bad about that. Aaron had two dollars in his wallet so he left that, but what would you have done in that situation?

The same thing happened there two years ago... I was with a friend and both of our burgers were brought out still bloody. I'd taken two bites when already when we realized this. They comped everything, and I was going to pay so the friend didn't bring any money and I only had a card. That time it really was the kitchen's fault. The server shouldn't have been penalized for it. I guess from now on I should keep some emergency cash with me, but it seems silly for such an unlikely situation! What would you have done? I guess I could have told the server to charge me for a soda so I could tip him, but it seemed rather silly at that point.

Also, do you tip when you get to go orders from a sit down restaurant? I don't unless they really go out of their way to be friendly and helpful, but what is the "right" thing to do? One time I tipped at TGI Fridays and they didn't even put the Jack Daniels sauce in with my order and it was a Jack Daniels platter. The sauce makes it that, and you can't eat it without the sauce! Got a 15 dollar gift certificate out of that one because I had to take a 2nd break from work and go back for the sauce!

Comments (30)

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Speaking as a former server (and Chili's employee), the server didn't deserve a tip.

I realize tipping is customary in the US and I know from experience what it's like to have to make a living from tips (although California servers make a heck of a lot more in base pay than in most other states). The server's responsibility is not only to submit an accurate and timely order to the kitchen, but to be the last quality control in place for making sure the food coming out is the right food, cooked correctly and served promptly. If a restaurant uses runners, it is still the primary server's responsibility to follow up on the order.

It used to be that Chili's cook staff had ticket time limit of ten minutes. That means from the time the order printed in the kitchen to the time we called "Order up!" was not to exceed ten minutes. The nearest server or runner was to deliver any order waiting, then the server for that table was to follow up within two minutes of the meal hitting the table. I don't know if that is still true, but there is nothing on their menu that should take as long as you had to wait.

The ice in the drink was not the server's fault UNLESS is was visible from looking at the glass. It's hard sometimes to tell if a burger or steak is cooked correctly; you have to sometimes depend on the kitchen markers, but it's obvious to anyone that a burger is not a plate of ribs. Every ticket has a table number, and so there is no excuse for anyone who picked up the order to deliver it to the wrong table UNLESS the server entered the table number incorrectly. And while the server should not hover or interfere with your conversation, it should never be 20 or 30 minutes before they check on you, even if it's just a visual visit to see if you need refills or napkins.

No, I don't tip for take-out orders. The person handling the transation isn't doing anything special. Being pleasant and polite is part of their job. Well, that's not entirely true: if I have a particularly complicated order that requires them to do a lot of special packaging or other extra work that goes beyond putting the containers in a bag and handing it to me, yeah, I'll tip. We picked up lunches for 15 from a place one time and it had to all be rang up separately. It was a total PITA order, took a lot of time to package and ring up in the middle of a rush, and the cashier was very pleasant in spite of the mayhem we cause. We tipped her.

I wouldn't charge a drink just to leave a tip. Some chains are starting to charge servers the processing fee from electronic transactions on tips.

• colleenoz
    14 years ago

Totally aside from the tipping issue, honey, you should ALWAYS have some emergency cash on you. You never know what might happen, you card won't work or is lost/stolen, you have a fight with your date and have to get a taxi home, suddenly the CIA is after you and you have to disappear into the wind :-), whatever.

• Related Discussions

Yet another tipping question

Q

Comments (9)
    I once was told by a salon owner to not tip him. I guess because all of what the owner charges goes to that person (even though they have expenses), but with someone working for the owner - a portion of their income goes to the owner. I tip 20% to my hairstylist and also the massage therapist I go to. I recently went to a new massage therapist and did not have much cash with me that day and I always use my card. I should clarify that both my hairstylist and the massage therapist have card thingies set up in their name - it does not go through the shop. My hairstylist knows to let me add tip to the charge, but the therapist didn't. So on my first visit, she didn't get a tip. I didn't have the correct amount to tip her in cash, and she didn't have change (LOL!!). So, Pesky, the next time I saw her, I simply doubled the tip to make up for the previous visit. She does a fabulous job, works me in, and has done wonders for a shoulder/muscle problem I was having. I usually use my card, unless I know they would prefer cash, but that's simply for my own convenience. tina
    ...See More

Tipping question

Q

Comments (4)
    I think what I would do is consider that perhaps the bang trim is worth 25% of the cost of the original haircut and tip accordingly. So if the original haircut was $80. you would tip on $20. and might round up because that's such a small amount. I probably wouldn't tip less than $5. regardless. It's always a good plan to overtip one's hairdresser if they do a great job and $5. is pretty much 'throw-away' money these days, probably even $10. is getting close.
    ...See More

another beauty service tip question please

Q

Comments (7)
    Health care service example aside, tipping in general is out of control. There are a gazillion jobs out there where people don't get tipped just for doing their jobs. That so many workers expect tips is absurd and the issue. Maybe the rest of us should expect tips and see how they like it.
    ...See More

The ubiquitous tipping question: How much to tip movers?

Q

Comments (16)
    I moved much like you did when we moved here. I moved my kitchen, bathrooms, artwork, garage and shop things, clothing not in drawers and quite a bit of my office although not a heavy desk. 6 minute drive. I'd boxed books and hadn't put them in my SUV yet, the movers graciously offered to take them as they had room. I had brought my own lamps too I think. . All my living room furniture was new and delivered by the store as were the appliances. I tipped each of the three man crew, who brought the heavier pieces only, $40 each, Same with the movers I hired to move my mother to her retirement apartment an hour from her home. They moved three rooms of furniture and her clothing, I packed her kitchen myself, put those things into my SUV. It was a warm day, I had water which they accepted, soft drinks that they declined. Two men. They preferred to stop and buy their own lunch after they had packed and before they unpacked her things in her new city. I tipped them $40 each, although I think they were worth about 10 times that much for as helpful and good natured as they were that day last Fall ;-) Editing to add - I just remembered with the company hired to move mother, they brought us coffee! They called and asked how many were at the house that morning, and arrived with Starbucks, their treat ;-)
    ...See More
  • BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

No, I would not have tipped. It was the server's responsibility to see that you got what you ordered no matter what else happend or whose fault it was.

And yes, please start carrying a small amount of cash for emergencies. Five or ten $1.00 bills could make a world of difference in some situations. Personally I would carry more than that. A case in point is today I went to the courthouse to have a deed probated. I didn't expect it to cost more than ten dollars, but for some reason I stuffed more than that in my wallet when I left my vehicle. Imagine my surprise when the bill came to $37.25. They wouldn't take plastic or a check. Luckily I had $1.75 left over. If I had not had the cash I would have had to go back another day and hunt down the scarce parking places and waste more time.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Good point coleen....Mad money. When Iw as young and dating, every evening purse had a $10 bill in the pocket.
    And when I got older and was dating again...it was a $20!

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

The first situation - I wouldn't have tipped. Actually I wouldn't have stuck around long enough to eat or face that decision, but that's another story.

Two years ago - I would have tipped. They realized their mistake and made it right.

Take-out - We've discussed this before; here's my take on it. Not as much, but I tip. The order was taken, prepared, and served (in a bag). Keep in mind that a lot of times these are bartenders and waitstaff who are working the take-out orders. The difference is they didn't have to come back to refill my drink and offer me coffee and dessert, and the bus boy didn't have to clean the table. So yes, a tip for service, but less of a tip than if I had gotten full service.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Beanthere said it best. There is no way I would have tipped. And like FOAS said, it's doubtful I would have even still been there at that point.

Chili's started out as a privately owned restaurant with a unique menu and great service. But just like so many other successful businesses, they sold out to a big corporation. And they went from being unique and really good to typical, bland and careless. The last time I went there was the first time I'd been in years and it reminded me of why I never go there anymore. Bad service and bad food. And that location went out of business shortly afterward.

I tip on service. When I get good service, I tip around 20%. If I get exceptional service, I tip more. If I get bad service, the tip drops dramatically. Since I get good service 80-90% of the times I eat out, that means it's not only possible, it's a reasonable expectation. So, when I get bad service, I figure there's just no excuse. I don't care if the guy admitted he was wrong. Everyone knew he was wrong, including the manager who comped your meal.

When I make a mistake at work, no one pats me on the back and says, "good job!". Yes, I admit my mistakes and I fix them. I'm human and I'm forgiven. But certainly I'm not praised for them!

• susytwo
    14 years ago

Bobby, I wouldn't feel bad. I'm pretty sure that server wouldn't have been expecting anything out of you after the series of mistakes he made.

But, from another perspective. My best friend was a server for years. During some hard times, she was working at a little family restaurant where the tips were not great. On one particularly bleak evening, her section was slammed and she was making several mistakes, and was getting increasingly flustered throughout the evening. She knew she had left one family in particular, waiting a very long time, and apologized to them repeatedly. After they left and she picked up the billfold with their credit card receipt, she found that they had tipped her $100 on a $40 bill. She said she went into the restroom and broke down in tears. It was the gesture, more than the money that touched her.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

susy, it restores your faith in humankind, sometimes, doesn't it?

I wouldn't have stiffed the server, probably, I had the bar/restaurant for too long to do that comfortably, I know how they rely on their tips but I agree, the server didn't earn a tip and I wouldn't feel badly about not leaving one.

As for to-go orders, I usually tip just a couple of bucks, certainly not 20% of the bill like I usually do for orders eaten in. I figure they had to at least bag up the order, so I give them a token amount.

As for mad money, there's a big distinction between areas, or maybe just income. When I was in high school I always had mad money. 20 cents. I wore "penny loafers" and there was a dime in each one. A pay phone cost a dime a call and Grandma told me it was "mad" money so if I got mad and ditched my date I could at least call for a ride home.

I'm laughing at the $20, I always had 20 cents, LOLOLOL.

Now I have $5 in my wallet, always. It'll get me a cup of coffee or a cold drink or a snack, but not much else. It drives Elery nuts but I don't usually go anywhere outside of White Cloud unless I'm with him. When I go to Peppi's or Nancy's, any longer distances then I take cash, but never have much on a daily basis.

Heck, I was broke for so many years that now I'm tickled to be able to buy a $3 cup of coffee if it suits me. Yeah, I'm a cheap date, and I still feel guilty over that $3 coffee, most times I'll just go home and make some there. (grin)

Annie

• eileenlaunonen
    14 years ago

AHHHHHHHH Tipping...always do always will! I have waiters and waitress in my family and they break there A@# all day long and deal with very obnoxious people. If the server is rude thats a different story but apologetic gets a tip...Sometimes there just having a bad day or the cooking line are being jerks! I to tip car to go service too...hey everyones gotta make a living.

• shaun
    14 years ago

Last weekend my husband and I went out for breakfast to a little place down the street that we go to frequently. It was slammed this particular Sunday morning. The poor waitress was so frazzled looking.

After waiting 50 minutes for my breakfast sandwich, it arrived with raw bacon on it. I almost took the bacon off and just ate the sandwich without it but I really wanted that bacon! So I flagged the poor girl down and I apologized for sending back my breakfast! ahaha! I just felt awful for her as busy as she was to have to return the food that had finally come out. Anyway, I hope the kitchen didn't molest my food oranything..... it came back with crispy bacon on it and all ended well.

Yes we tipped; even though TIPS stands for To Insure Prompt Service, it wasnt HER fault. It was the kitchen's fault.

Later that same evening, I went to the grocery store and who did I run into? Our waitress. She apologized again for my bacon being raw. And we stood there talking about how crazy the restaurant was.

Moral to my story Bobby, I'm glad we didn't stiff that girl. I would have been mortified to run into her in the store later that same day.

Now if she had been rude.. that's a whole nuther ball game.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I tip no matter what, however I am more inclined to give a smaller tip if the service really sucked. Having been a waitress myself, I know that it's not always the server's fault when things go wrong, so why should they suffer.

However, if you had no cash, what could you do? The server got $2, so that's that. And yes, it's always a good idea to have a few bucks in your pocket.

Even if I go out for a walk, I stick a $5 in my pocket. It's also fun to find that $5 in my coat pocket or in the washer later!

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I still would have tipped something. You don't know what happened in the kitchen, and the server took the blame. (The server's not in charge of the restroom design.) It's not too late--go back and leave a tip.

TIPS doesn't stand for anything--that's a false entomology.

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Naw, I wouldn't tip the server for getting my order completely wrong. No matter what happened in the kitchen, the server served the wrong order. I believe that tipping something for terrible service only supports people who expect entitlements. (There is WAY TOO MUCH of that these days. Tips should be incentive, not entitled.) The only service provided in this instance was poor service. Sorry, but no one is entitled to any kind of tip for that!

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

OK, I went back and read what happened again. I see the server made a mistake for which they apologized. In that instance, I completely understand making a mistake, apologizing and taking responsibility for what happened. Yes, in that instance I would tip the server. Actually, a two dollar tip was probably appropriate for the circumstance.

I do not think a server should receive a tip for poor service however, no matter what.

This is a good reminder to keep a few smaller bills with my mad money. (I keep mad money in my purse and my car.) In fact, just the other day, I also included a couple of quarters ''just in case''. I guess that assumes I'd be able to find a pay-phone if I needed one, which has gone the way of rotary phones!

• colleenoz
    14 years ago

Gee, I always have a $50 tucked way in the inside pocket of my wallet. I never know where I might be and not everywhere here takes cards.
    Um, "entomology" is the study of insects. I think "etymology" is the word which fits best in this discussion.

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

I'm a pity tipper. I would have left a tip.

• shaun
    14 years ago

ideefixe - Hey I never got that memo! I'm always the last to know these things!!!

Colleen thanks for clarifying that (etymology)...... made me smile.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

If I have a twenty stashed away...I'll spend it. I'm lucky to manage to keep a quarter in the car for Aldi's.
    Anyway, it's never been a problem for me to use a debit card everywhere or check.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Colleen, $50? Oh no, if I had $50, Ashley would have $50 soon and I'd be broke again. I keep as little cash as possible, so she doesn't ask for any! (grin)

Annie

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Eileen, I love your description of being a ''pity tipper''. Thanks for the grin!

• jojoco
    14 years ago

I would have tipped. Not a huge amount, but the minimum. So the server had a bad night, it happens. It was probably compounded by the kitchen. Also, I think I would be embarassed to go there again had I not tipped.
    But, I agree with others who have said rudeness deserves no tip.
    jo

• Lars
    14 years ago

I guess in your situation, leaving the cash you had was all you could do. However, I also strongly believe in keeping cash for emergencies - and also keep the gas tank above half full. We were taught to do this in case of earthquake. After an earthquake, everything is on a cash basis, and gas stations probably will not be able to pump gas. You might have a similar situation with a hurricane. When I was younger, however, I was less concerned about catastrophes.

Lars

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

My son worked restaurants and bars for a long time. He always said that bad service or food deserve no tips. Even though the server may not be the cook or bartender, tips are generally pooled with certain percentages allocated to the various jobs.

Having said that, because he worked the food and bar industry for so long I too am a pity tipper!

Bobby, about the cash...always have at least $50 in your wallet...always. So many things can go wrong, from weather, to car, to debit /credit card machines that don't work. Or even some poor soul on the street that you feel a need to help. Cash is king.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

I don't know about now, but Chili's used to be a good company to work for as far as restaurants go.

Shaun, if it makes you feel better, I've worked in a lot of restaurants, both as a server and as a cook, and I have never seen anyone in a kitchen do anything to sabotage a customer's food. There's just no time for that sort of thing on a cook line.

• colleenoz
    14 years ago

I keep my emergency cash all folded up in a back pocket of the wallet where its presence is not obvious. Out of sight is out of mind. So it can lurk there for months before I may need to use it. As soon as possible, it gets replaced.

• shaun
    14 years ago

beanthere - thanks, that makes me feel better. I always worry about that.

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

Funny about this post coming now. We just returned from Denny's for breakfast. The mother of one of my former students is a cook there and has been for years, her son is now in 8th grade I think. Since I order from the senior menu, its supposed to be one egg, one slice bacin, etc. When she is there, the portions always come out bigger than when she's not. Now I am sure its not just for us that it happens. Sometimes I am sure she doesn't see us come in and I never make a point of trying to get her attention. Today, the place was really busy. We got a table where I could see her. She was moving as fast as she could. When the breakfast came out, the portions were large and right. We tipped the waitress as always, service was good. I slipped the waitress a $5.00 and asked her to give it to the cook, _____ mom. She seemed pleasantly surprised. Anyway, its the first time I have thought to do it and probably won't do it each time but I hope it makes the cook feel good that someone appreaciates them. BTW, her son was something else in the classroom but everytime I see him in a store with his family, he runs up to give me a hug!

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

I know this isn't answering the question and I'm not trying to hijack this thread,but I have a "can you believe this" story and would really like some input on the situation.

I used to frequent a little private eatery where you do "walk up" ordering and then someone will bring the food out to you when it is ready. It is a chicken salad/quiche/sandwich place really and was one of the best I've ever been to. One of the ladies who would bring the food out was really nice, probably in her early to mid seventies and so arthritic that she had a difficult time getting around. All she did was bring the food out, but I always left her a nice tip and yes, I guess a little of it was pity. Then I found out that the scoundrel of an owner was taking her tips from her and telling people that he paid her enough that she didn't need the tips. Needless to say he pays her a very minimum wage and the place is only open for lunch five days a week, so she can't get many hours. Can you believe a person would take tips away from someone?!!? Is there someplace I can report this abuse? Isn't what he is doing illegal? Then again I thought she probably needed this job very badly or she wouldn't be working and if I reported it she most surely would be fired.

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

A few years ago when my daughter was in the Air Force and home on leave, she and her younger brother went to a local restaurant for lunch. The waitress seated them and took their order. When the food came out, the waitress catered more to my son than my daughter, bringing my son replacement drinks when his glass got 3/4 empty, she did not replenish my daughter's drink for the entire time they were there. Every question of them that was asked by the waitress was directed to my son. My daughter was the one paying for the meal. She did not tip the waitress for those reasons.

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

In busy places I will often hand cash tips directly to the server just so I know they have it.