Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wireless keyboard?

Posted by beanthere_dunthat (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 25, 10 at 17:28

Is anyone using a wireless keyboard? How hard are they on batteries?

I spilled juice on mine (oops!) and now some of the keys stick. Figured if I have to replace it anyway, that I might just go wireless, but I don't want to be buying batteries every other week for it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wireless keyboard?

Kevin uses one, and it does go through batteries pretty quickly, but he uses rechargeable ones and always has some recharged on hand. If you don't have one, you would have to invest in a battery charger, but they're pretty inexpensive now. Kevin also uses a wireless mouse.

Lars

o

I have had a wireless keyboard and mouse for at least 5 years. I have probably changed batteries 3 times. I don't know what the driving factor is in battery life for these peripherals.

o

I had one and I hated it. Tried it for about 2 weeks, got all sorts of random delays in typing that drove me crazy. It's sitting in the garage and I'll send it to you if you want it. But I'd just get another good keyboard, not the fanciest one, just a good basic Microsoft one, maybe $30 or $40?

o

we got a touchscreen with wireless keyboard and mouse in November. We immediately had to put new batteries in the keyboard but nothing since then. we like it.

o

I wonder if there is a difference in battery life among brands? I know my HP printer sucks up three cartridges for every one my Cannon used to use, and my Logitech wireless mouse uses far fewer batteries than my Microsoft one.

Seems like someone would make a mouse and keyboard that you can charge the same way you charge phones and digital cameras.

I don't want delayed response, but I would dearly love to eliminate some of these cords all over the desk.

o

I have two. The one I use is at least 10 months old and I've only changed the keyboard batteries once, and that was recently. The wireless mouse came with it and I have had to change the mouse batteries about every 8 or so weeks.

The other one Moe uses on the laptop and it is probably 5 or 6 months old and I haven't change the batteries yet.

Ann

o

We have had one for a couple of years. I have never changed the batteries, but my DH may have and not told me. I can't have been very frequent.

I also have a keyboard that uses a USB port. I like it also.

Adele

o

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. I've had it for over a year. I've changed the batteries in the mouse many many times (rechargable) but I've never changed a battery in the keyboard! How weird is that?

Watch, tomorrow I'll need to change the battery in the keyboard. LOL I actually didnt know this keyboard had batteries.

Never a problem. No delays. Just as if it were hooked up by a wire.

It's by Microsoft. Think I got it at Circuit City before they went out of business for real cheap.

o
wow!

I just checked the bottom of my keyboard and there isnt even a place to put a battery. No batteries needed. Guess it works off the battery in the mouse?

o

I had one and it was a battery hog. Seems I had to replace them every 4 - 6 weeks and it never seemed to work really well - like Tricia said there were strange delays as I was typing and my typos increased exponentially.

Alexa

o

"Posted by shaun -----
I just checked the bottom of my keyboard and there isnt even a place to put a battery. No batteries needed. Guess it works off the battery in the mouse?"

Are you sure there is no place for batteries? I don't think the mouse powers it. For a keyboard it may use a lot less power than a mouse, so the batteries may last a long time.

dcarch

o

I have one onteh PC and have never in 4 years changed a battery on it. The mouse gets one about every 18 months. I think they are HP.

o

Shaun, it's magic! :D

Maybe the battery door is along the side somewhere.

o

I have a wireless key board and mouse. My son bought it for me when we built my last computer that crashed. I am using it to type these words. I have the wireless receiver plugged into the back of my desktop and it sits on the desk in between the tower and monitor. I have to replace the batteries occasionally but not as often as the mouse does. I like the fact that I do not have a cord running under the desk .

o

I had a GE cordless keyboard and mouse set. I used the keyboard for 4 years and never changed the batteries once. There was a low battery indicator on the keyboard, but it never came on. The mouse lasted about 3 months before needing new batteries. The company that makes GE computer products, Jasco, has excellent customer service. When I moved into my apartment, I broke one of the legs on the keyboard. They sent me a new one for free even though it was out of warranty! I didn't even have to pay shipping. They both performed perfectly, and I'd still be using them, but the connection is different on my laptop than it was on my old tower. I still use a wireless mouse (HP), with the mini adapter (the big one of the Logitech mouse stopped working after I snapped it off one too many times, go figure)... I've had that for 5 months and no batter changes yet.

I'd say to go for it! I used to prop my feet up on the tower and lean back in the chair and put the keyboard in my lap when I typed... it was nice.

o

A wireless mouse has to use power to light up the laser diodes most of the time, that takes power. A keyboard only has to use power the fraction of a second you touch the keys.
As you know, your wireless car remote lasts a long long time even it uses a tiny battery with not much capacity. A car remote also has to transmit signals very far away, a keyboard on the other hand is only rated about 6 feet range.

dcarch

o

I just acquired a wireless keyboard and mouse for a new media center computer my son built for me. I've only had them for a few weeks so I can't speak to the battery issue. But they both work fine with no delays. Logitech brand. I got them on sale at Target for $15 for the set. Nathan said that was a phenomenal price so I bought two. I need to install the other one on my regular computer next. I love it.

o
RE: Wireless keyboard? and...

I forgot to say... the $15 Logitech keyboard/mouse set came with Duracell batteries. That's the first item I've ever bought in my life that came with name brand batteries instead of some no name junk that will die in two months. So I have confidence that these batteries will last.

o

A few ideas:

1. You can wet-clean keyboards by using a wet painter's brush. Just do it with the keyboard upside down to prevent water from getting into the electronics.

2. It is not difficult to open up the keyboard and do a real thorough cleaning. There are many screws, but there are not many electronic components inside a keyboard.

3. You can buy water-proof washable keyboards.

dcarch

o

I found the battery compartment on the keyboard. I laid awake wondering how the keyboard could work without a battery! I *knew* it had to have one.

It's on the top edge of the keyboard. There now, the mystery is solved.

But I've still never replaced the battery in the keyboard in over a year.

o

Shaun, better to know BEFORE you need to know, right?

I've been happy with Logitech in the past, so will start there. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a high contrast one.

o

I've had a Logitech ergonomic wireless keyboard and mouse for over five years and will never use anything else. Have never changed the batteries in the keyboard (actually, I didn't know there were any) and the mouse needs new ones every 5-6 months. We can use the keyboard from anywhere in the room, although I don't, and to be free of the wires is a blessing.

o

I love my wireless keyboard and mouse. The key board is an Logitech MX3000, about 3 yrs old. I've changed the batteries about once a year. The mouse I use is a Logitech Revolution (cordless) and is rechargeable. I keep the base handy and just set the mouse on it every night.

Now, I just need to figure out the tangle of cords connecting everything!

Nancy

o

You can also get keyboard protectors to fit your keyboard and protect it from spills, dust, etc.

That wouldn't do anything for the wires situation, though.

Rusty

o

Rusty, I've tried using those covers, and they feel really creepy to me. LOL! Zombie skin! And, yeah, I really do want to minimize the wires.

Hopefully DH will make it home this week and we can go into "the city" to get one. I'd like to see/feel before I buy. I don't like flat mushy keyboards. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Logitech. And if he doesn't get home, I'll just order it on-line and hope for the best. :)

o

My work keyboard is this one. Work paid for it, so beware the price! I can't say enough good things about it, but mostly, my hands and wrists don't hurt any more. But I use it all day long every day, batteries rarely need replacing. Not only is the keyboard ergonomically split, it's raised. Ah. And the mouse, well, I'll never use another tiny mouse again. It's shaped like a ball and my hands don't feel like I've been griping chopsticks all day long any more. I love it.

o

Rob, how long did it take you to get used to it? (We used to call those the "microwaved keyboards" because of the shape. :) )

ITA about the mouse. I used to have a job that used very mouse-dependent software. After a couple years, my right hand would go cold and cramp up at night. Got a nice big round ball mouse and solved that problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here