SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

going back to school....

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

I need some advice from my friends here. I know that many of you have graduated college already or had children that have so you will be a good source of opinions for this issue (along with everything else!).

I went to a community college for about two years, but when I had to move out on my own, I had to take a break from school because I had bills to pay all of a sudden. At that point, survival was more important than education. I was working on pre-requisites for the radiography (x-ray tech) program. I kept fumbling through the math classes and failed one algebra class 3 times. I think it's time to continue my education (I'm 26 and not getting any younger, most people my age already have finished school). The thing is I don't think I want to be an x-ray tech anymore. I was only doing it because everyone in my life suggested that I do it because it was good job with decent pay. I originally wanted to be an RN, but I don't do well with gross situations so I thought x-ray tech would be safer. However, I spoke with someone who does it, and he said the money is good, but the job itself isn't as glorious as you might think. The community college I was going to has a very competitive program and they only let a certain amount of students in. It's based on a points system, and you have to have excellent grades (I'm not a straight A student, more of a B and C average) to even be considered for the program. The program itself is rigorous, and I wouldn't be able to do it and keep a full time job. So, I was wondering what else I should do, or would even like to do.

Two things came to mind. The first is stenography. I like typing and I could do court reporting, medical transcription, or closed captioning... or so says the commercial for the Orlando Stenotype Institute. I could see myself doing that and enjoying that... but I wonder about the availability of jobs and the pay.

The other was possibly a dental hygenist. Not too nasty, and do appreciate nice smiles... it seems like something I could enjoy.

Do any of you know anyone who has had either of those careers? Do you have any other advice you can give about that, or any other careers I might look into? The other night I was thinking about school and the fact that I haven't finished yet, and I got so upset I couldn't sleep... I almost started crying! I know it's going to be difficult to work full time and finish school, but I have to! I can live on the money I make now, but I hate my job and it's not a real career (I book appointments for timeshare presentations...). I never planned to spend so long away from school (it's been probably 4 years), but life got in the way. Now, I'm ready to go back, I just don't know what for!

I just hope I can go to a school that will work around my job, because my work schedule is pretty much set. If not, the only other alternative would be to save enough money to live on for a few years and then quit work completely and go to school full time. That will take longer than I want to though, so I hope I don't have to resort to that!

Thanks for any advice you can give on this matter

Comments (33)

• stacy3
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Bobby. I am sorry for what you're going through....I have been there, and thank goodness I was able to finish my degree - several years after I took time off. But that was a long time ago.

Have you checked into online courses? LIke the University of Phoenix ( I think that is it...) You could see what they have to offer that you could do in your "off" time from work. I know lots of people who have done this while working full time with families.

Otherwise, I know that dental hygienists are in great demand in this area. You probably have more part time - course alternatives in your area than I do here.

Good luck to you and stay with it! Don't give up. You'll discover what it is that you want to do - and you'll make it work. Don't judge yourself too harshly based on what everyone else is doing - chances are, they are stuck in something they don't want to be in either...You are much better equipped at 26 to make those decisions than you were at 18 or so...:-)

hugs to you - hang in there.
    Stacy

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

I work in a radiology department and the rad techs all love what they do. You really need to be a people-person for any of those jobs, tho. The nice part about rad-tech jobs is you don't have to deal with a lot of blood and guts kind of stuff like one may have to endure working as an RN or working in and ER. But there are many RN positions that do not have to deal with "gross stuff" on a regular basis, too.

My suggestion would be to go to your local college of choice and talk to a counselor there. They may be able to give you a interest-based test (ie: Myers Briggs, et al) to see where your interests lie.

I enrolled in college this past week after a 16 year hiatus. I sat down with an Academic Advisor once my transcripts arrived and she helped me decide what I need to finish my AA degree. I am 55. If I can do it you can do it!

Linda

• Related Discussions

Yikes! Going back to school

Q

Comments (14)
    Good for you, Angc. I think you'll love the experience. I went back to school when I was 37. The first semester I took a couple of classes at the vocational school to see if my brain had atrophied beyond repair. I had a sweet "retired" nun for a literature class. When I turned in my term paper complete with foot-notes she called me aside. She very kindly told me that I had done a nice job but that "we don't use footnotes any more." Talk about being a dinosaur in the classroom! The next semsester I tried to get into the University and they told me no because my college grades from 18 years before were not up to their standards. I went to see one of the university councilors who worked with "returning adults." He sent me to see the dean. The dean said he assumed I had learned a lot in the intervining 18 years and he'd let me in on probation. He also looked at my old credits and decided which ones would transfer. He was much more lenient than the admissions department. I was impressed that the dean could bend the "rules" but was told later that when a dean says sit you don't go looking for a chair, you just sit! Maybe you can find a nice compassionate dean. I'm just about ready to start my 17 year of teaching. Even managed to get my masters degree. I was very lucky. The main reason I succeeded was because my DH was so supportive even though he worked a huge number of hours. He learned to cook and helped out a lot. The kids were in grade school. My son (a 5th grader when I started back) would do one or two loads of towels a week and often a load of his own clothes. The house......could have been cleaner, but we all survived. I remember my kids telling me they were going to check out my report card. If that wasn't motivation I don't know what was. It is good for the kids to see how their parents value education. Good luck!
    ...See More

Lovely kitten over going back to school?

Q

Comments (4)
    You're in a very difficult situation, because once you move out of the country, you won't have any way of really keeping track of your baby or helping out if something goes wrong with the adoption. It sounds to me like there's a high likelihood that the American woman will declaw the kitten, which, like you, is something I wouldn't allow to be done to a feline I loved (or any feline, if I could help it). There's also the possibility that as the kitten matures, she may not get along with the woman's "wild" cat, and what happens to your girl then? If you have time to keep looking for a new family for your kitten, perhaps you can find one that can provide her with the love and attention you want for her, AND who feels the same way about declawing as you do. If there are animal shelters or rescues in China, perhaps you can ask them to help you find a suitable new home for your baby. Also, contact veterinarians. They sometimes know of responsible, loving clients who are looking for a new feline family member. I don't envy the position you are in. I hope you can find the perfect solution for both you and the kitten. Laurie
    ...See More

I am finally admitting it!! Not SF issue.

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi Thanks for all of your posts. Thought I would give you an update and ask for your thoughts once more. Just a quick note. I do have a career (sort of) I work from home as a medical transcriptionist. So it is not like I do not have a job I just do not want to do it for much longer. See, I did it initially so that I could stay home with my DD and still make money while DH was in school. Now he has graduated and is working. Okay so here goes. I came clean with my dh as I mentioned and he is TOTALLy behind me bless his heart! I think what we have decided to do is go ahead and try to get pregnant. I will continue doing what I am doing now (work at home and stay at home with DD) until this summer. Hopefully by then I will be PG. I am planning on starting at the local university going part time. My daughter is already in preschool three hours a day, five days a week so she is no problem plus she never wants to leave with me anyway. The problem has been that I do want to get started on more education before the next one is 3. So I am going to go part time taking night classes, online classes, and maybe a day class if my dh can get those days off. That way I am going back to school (big goal) and we can have a baby (another big goal). The hope is that I can attend school, on a very part time basis to start with, and attend when my DH can be home with the FDB (future dear baby). There is a chance I may have to take a day class once or twice a week and my DH thinks that he will be able to ask for those days off for the semester. After the baby is older probably around a year. I will bump up to full time (about 12 hours worth of credits) and the baby would go to the university childcare center (which I hear good things about) my daughter would also move to their preschool and prek program. I think this is the best of both worlds for us. Though the baby will go to daycare it will not be until he/she is around 1 and not from 8 to 5 but more like 20 hours a week. Here is my question. At what age do you personally feel we are to old to go for serious higher education? I have this need to be highly educated (not sure why just personal goal) and to be able to make enough that I could support myself and my kids were it to happen. My DH is awesome and we have a great life, but there is always this nagging in me that says "you depend on your husband to take care of you." As I said this is not because my husband is a jerk or EVER says anything about it, but I just want to know that I can do it on my own. My point? Well, in order to make the kind of money I would like to, to get the higher education I want, and to have a job I would enjoy I am looking at around 7 years of education. I already attended six years of college (screwed around A LOT) and I am almost 30. My dh is totally behind me and even said he would get a second job so I can focus on school and family. We also realize this would mean everyone would need to help me out around the house. I would lose a lot of free time and my life would be very different. I just wonder is it too late for me to start something like this. I hope not, but there is fear inside of me that says it may be. What do you think? Sorry so long and not SF related, but I only post here and value your thoughts. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ...See More

I will go back to school in dirty clothes.

Q

Comments (6)
    I think the trials of a reno, especially the kitchen, life force hub, makes it just drain..on every part of you. There are parts of me that want to jump into it now, there are parts that say wait til there's a few less people in the house to work around. I do remember the dirt, dust, disorder from the last remodel we went through about 10 years ago. 3 boys, the yongest 4 at the time. The 6 weeks of plywood counter tops. Finding sheet rock dust months later. I don't know how those of you that do this every few years, can? Lol
    ...See More
  • readinglady
    14 years ago

It sounds like this is an ideal time for you to return to school. You have real-world experience and can appreciate the value of an education in ways many younger students can't.

I don't have any specific career recommendations. Right now you're thinking of careers based on what you know or are familiar with. It's very possible there's a career out there perfect for you that you don't even know exists.

What I would recommend is going to your nearest community college and making an appointment with their career or programs counselor. CCs offer many services for the returning/mature student. A counselor can examine your transcript, discuss transfer of credits, set up tests designed to assess your skills, talents and areas of interest. A skilled counselor will also know which career strands present the best prospects for steady employment and opportunities for growth/advancement.

Many community colleges also offer financial aid (if that's an issue) geared to the needs of returning/older students.

I'm a big fan of community colleges. While there's a place in the scheme of things for private/for-profit education programs, community colleges offer tremendous value for the dollar.

Good luck. You're showing tremendous foresight in recognizing you want to take your life in another direction and planning specific changes rather than stewing in misery.

Carol

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Bobby, I went back to college when I was 37 and graduated when I was 43! I went part time while working part time. I was fortunate (in a way)because I was still married at that time so the big expenses got paid by the ex. I did take out loans to pay my tuition. There were times I was so tired, I thought I would collapse. I had two kids at home too!

All I can say is, do it, do it, do it! Whatever it takes, do it! My friends who didn't finish school have much more limited options.

Rad techs deal with a lot less yucky stuff than nurses. The nurses at my hospital must have a B.S., so you'd have to finish college to be a nurse. You can make good money and also your job can't be outsourced. Same for a dental hygienist.

You could also look into being a Respiratory Therapist or an Occupational Therapist. Good jobs and not yucky. Are you really interested in the field of health care?

I agree that getting some career counseling is a wise move. Don't just go into a field of work because someone told you it was a good thing to do. Look for work that you will enjoy, because you will be doing it for a long time.

I remember taking something called the Strong Campbell Interest Inventory. My top job was Radio Announcer and my last was the military. I'm not doing either one.

Good luck! Stick with it.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Way to go, Bobby!!!! Get your self out of the rut! But I do know several quite successful young men with no degree, just a couple of years of school who have made successful careers....one is a distributor for wine sales in West Palm Beach and the other was events manager for a convention Center in Tampa and now he is in Houston and events manager of the convention center there.
    You don;'t HAVE to have a degree, but it helps.
    Lots and lots of people work full time and go to school part time....or full time.
    I know quite a few people who have worked full time, gone to school and had a wife and kids during that time. They borrowed a lot of money, but the end was worth the debt.
    Bobby....ever think of sales rather than the tech end?
    Unless you are inventing what you sell....that's where the money is....and you sure seem like a "people person" to me.

My advice? try to figure out what you want to do....but meanwhile take a course or 2 at the local community college.
    Just what floats your boat, so to speak...no plans to make it a career. Who knows what bend life will toss in your way?
    Linda C

• jessyf
    14 years ago

Good for you. Only thing I would be careful of is jobs that can be outsourced, like typing.

• arabellamiller
    14 years ago

Excellent idea! Good for you.

I agree with talking to a career counselor to help figure out what your next step will be. You can take just one or two classes at a time. Slow and steady, you know...

I'm back in school at an age well above yours. I had a degree and a successful career, then went to part time when I had kids, then decided that what I was doing (TV production) wasn't for me anymore. So here I am, back in class with a bunch of kids that can barely drink, studying organic chemistry in order to become a Registered Dietitian. You know, since you enjoy cooking, you might look into becoming an RD, or diet tech, which is the person that writes the menues for patients and helps the RDs. It's not that much school, nothing too gross and steady good work. The website eatright.org can give you some additional information.

What about Occupational Therapy? I know men are really in demand in that field since it's overwhelmingly female and some male patients prefer to work with men instead of women for privacy issues as well as the strenght needed in that job. I think that's a two year program most places.

Anyway, good for you for taking the first step. Each small step is an accomplishment, so just keep moving forward.

AM

• Lars
    14 years ago

I recommend that you take the Briggs-Meyer Personality Test to help determine which career your personality is best suited for. This is a well-respected preference test that calculates a career for you based on your personal preferences. My result was ENTP (aka Inventor), which describes not only my personality, but also the work I am doing now. BTW, I have the exact opposite personality of an accountant, and that seems accurate as well. Once you have a well-defined goal about what you really want to do (and you should love what you do), you can make the best decisions about how to reach that goal. I went back to university to get a second degree when I was 34 (almost 35) and graduated when I was 38. Then I moved to L.A. and got just the job I wanted - in design. I got my first degree was in German/English, thinking I wanted to be a writer, which I still do to some extent, but those jobs are harder to get. I still do write stories, but not as much as I used to. The main thing for me is to do something creative, and you have to find out what your main motivating force is. If you do take the test, I would be interesting in knowing what your result is. That would help in giving you suggestions for what you might want to persue.

Good Luck!!

Lars

• catlover
    14 years ago

Bobby,

We work for a long time. My mother told me, "you don't have to like your job." She was wrong. It is best to be passionate about your job. Absent that, you should enjoy it. You are young and the world will look quite different by the time you are 50.

You will likely have more than one career. The world is changing. I suggest - like others have - that you really look at what you tend toward in broad strokes - people, details, concentration, technology? What makes you tick.

Then, there are certain areas that will always thrive - healthcare is a good example but by far not the only example.

I agree with Jessy that the court reporter/typist job is likely to disappear, not because of outsourcing but because of technology.
    I finished undergrad on target - RN, BSN. I went back to school FT at 33 to Law School. I had 3 kids -5, 7, and 9.

You can always go back to school. It is a life changing experience - and you can do it more than once!

Talk to a lot of people. FYI - nursing is the best profession on earth. I am biased.

Adele

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

There was an interesting story this week on NPR about the field of Occupational Therapy and the need for more males to get into this career. It may mean more education than you want to do, but recent graduates can start at $80,000 a year. And as the baby boomers (including myself) age, we are going to need some of you younger folks helping us to live independently as long as possible. It is a caring profession, but without the blood and guts factor that might be involved in a nursing degree.

All the best to you, Bobby!

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Bobby I work at a community college and I counsel students like you all the time. I would strongly suggest seeking out a GOOD community college. The difference between a GOOD one and a not so good lies entirely with the staff and how focused they are on serving their students, so ask around. You could benefit from speaking with a career counselor, but only if s/he is a good one. If not, your time could potentially be wasted. I know I wasted a lot of time on tests at Michigan State's career counseling office that were supposed to tell me what career was good for me, but it was NOT usefull. I did not become an art historian, case in point, no matter how perfect that job might have been for me, it just wasn't a flexible enough career goal. I recommend that instead you find out about how various career people spend their days by talking to people who are actually in those careers and by trying to get involved in some way actually doing or being around people who are doing what you would like to do for a career. If you think you might be interested in a medical career, find some way you can VOLUNTEER at a hospital or clinic or some place where you can get a taste for the kind of work you think you might like to do. For example, when I was in college I went to a job fair just because my roomate dragged me to it, got a summer job at a camp only because the camp was in my roomates home town, and they sent me to a training weekend which introduced me to the top people in what was to become my career, outdoor education. Through those connections I was able to find a camp near my home to volunteer with, find out about conferences that I went to and made more connections, and ultimately it got me my first set of full time jobs. But none of that would have been possible if my roomate hadn't dragged me away from my dorm room to get out and check out what was going on in the world.

Yes there are lots of jobs in the medical field, but don't pick medicine just because you think you SHOULD. I agree with Catlover, you have to like your job to have a happy life. Maybe not like every minute of it, but it has to suit your personality. When you go to speak with a counselor, make sure they are somone who can give you carrer guidance, not someone part-time that the college pays to help students enroll for classes during the peak registration periods. BIG difference in the level of help you will get. You'd almost be better off talking to someone in the career placement office asking them about what kinds of jobs students are getting. Ask the counselor to give you a LONG list of some of the possibilities for a medical careers, all the way from lab technician to pharmacy tech to vet tech to dental tech. If you're going to be a dental hygenist you'll have your hands and face in people's mouths all day, and that can get a little gross, so you really have to be able to tolerate fairly close contact with people day in and day out. Same with physical therapy. On the other hand, a lab tech or pharm. tech is more detached. You might even think about going into some aspect of medical records or medical office administration if you like the business end of things. Or medical social work, which is what two of my friends do. Think about your temperament. For example, I am a people person, I like to do hands on things, I can't stand interacting with just facts and figures all day, even though I am OK with facts and figures and love learning complex material. So even though I love science, I could never be a straight science researcher alone in a lab all day long. Instead I am a science teacher. So you have to not only think about what you are interested in, but how you can take your interest and combine it with your temperament to create your best job niche. So if what's most important to you is PEOPLE, then you could become a teacher, social worker, PR person, nurse, salesman, business manager, human resources manager, nursing home aide worker, day care center manager, cooperative extrension nutritionist, event manager, etc. etc. etc., then depending on what subject matter interests you.

A book I recommend on careers is called "Wishcraft" by Barbara Sher, (I looked her up on Amazon, she has a lot of books on finding your life path, so maybe one of the others would interest you more.) Also, "StrengthsQuest: Discover and Develop Your Strengths in Academics, Career, and Beyond" by Donald Clifton. Get it new because it comes with a code for taking an online strengths inventory that will help you identfy your general strengths which will help you figure out what your bottom line values are. Keep your code because the book has a support Web site with lots of tools for putting some of the techbniques of the book into action. Also check out an OLDER version of the "What Color Is Your Parachute" book, which is the classic career changer book. You want an older version that focuses on networking and making connections with people and interviewing folks out in your possible field.

Last but not least, something I just found, an online "Build Your Own Mission Statement" Web site from Franklin Covey, (the guys who brought the world the book and techniques of "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People"). I found it a good tool for discovering your essential values that your best job needs to incorporate. These resources won't tell you the perfect job for you, but they will help you identify the essential "Non-negotiables" in your life which will help you narrow down the best options out of a large field. I think it almost is a better tool for figuring out what definately WON'T work for you, which as I have observed with my students over the years, is almost as important as knowing what WILL work.

And again, I cannot stress enough to get out there and try things out one way or the other. You will not find your life's passion in the classroom, you have to get out and try things. I found my life's passion by taking a non-majors science field course that was offered for my college in the Canadian Rockies, and I discovered I LOVED field ecology. And oddly, I wasn't a science major at all, not even close, so had to go back and start all the basic science courses from scratch, even though I was already a sophmore in college. If I had done something like that sooner I would have saved myself a lot of wasted time. The funniest part is, I ONLY took the course to fulfill my science requirement as a non-major at the time and I thought it would be a fun way to meet cute guys, better than sitting in a boring lecture hall (remember I was 20 at the time). I didn't really meet or hook up with any cute guys as a result, but I did find my life and career. I mean the guys in the class were nice enough, but it opened up a whole new world of experience for me, so that by the end guys were the least of the gazillions of exciting things on my mind. Rocky Mountain High, that was me! The same thing can happen for you if you get out and experience things, you will find the thing that "clicks" for you if you are lucky.

Here is a link that might be useful: Create a personal mission statement

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

I knew someone who was a court reporter and loved it. That was several years ago. A lot of people are getting into medical billing and trnscription. I wonder if that will last given many MD's are starting to use laptps in-office to update charts electronically.

I remember the Campbell interest assessment, and I thought it was very interesting. I took it as part of a voc rehab battery of tests at an employment office. The battery included the Myers-Brigg, which can be helpful if you've never taken it. I'd taken the Myers-Brigg in college (required by the department in sophomore and seior years), so those results weren't as much a surprise.

I can't say I've ever "loved" a job or "felt passionate" about one, but it sure as heck helps if you like your work and feel that it is worthwhile. I agree with those above who said to not choose something based solely on the projected outlook for that job. There's not much worse than doing something you hate for years on end.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your support. Feeling like I do now is very frustrating, so I can't wait to start acting on this. I'm going to go back to the community college that I attended (Valencia CC) next Tuesday (my next week day off) and see if I can meet with someone.

I'm sure there are careers that I don't even know about that I should consider... like Occupational Therapist. Meeting with a professional is a great idea... I don't want to spend all the time and money and energy going to school to do something I can't stand.

Lars, I'm an ISTP... the last time I took that test I think there was an F or an N there somewhere, so maybe it changes over time.

Thanks again to everyone.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I love my job most days and I can tell you that it makes it a whole lot easier to get up and go to work. I could make more money doing something else, and have been offered jobs making a lot more, but I decided after having a job where I dreaded walking in the door every day that liking what I did was worth some money.

I work in a law office and paralegals are a hugely growing field. I think court stenographers are going to go the way of the dinosaur. We will always need transcripts, of course, but something that used to take a lot of training is now done by simple transcription and a recording device. Several of the clerks at District Court here take turns being "court reporter". The job will always be there, but I don't know in what form.

I also think you should check out your local community college, but don't discount the on-line education either, several of Ashley's classes were on-line and she is currently doing her internship as a rad-tech. She'll be done with that internship in July.

As for going back, do it now. I finally went back and got my degree when I was 38 years old, working full time with two kids at home. That's the hard way, but at that point I knew what I wanted to do.

Annie

• ganggreen980
    14 years ago

It appears I'm in the same boat as you - except I'm a bit older (44)!

I would rule out a medical transcriptionist. I've been doing that for the last 9 years or so, and while I enjoy it, I feel I'll be lucky to be able to hang in there until my kids are out of school. It's okay to supplement DH's income, but it's not a living wage. Many MT jobs have bene outsourced overseas (it's cheaper). Many more are being eliminated with the increasing use of EMRs.

Good luck on your search! I'm at least enjoying mine.

Mandie

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Bobby,
    Anything in the health field is good right now. Dental hygienists are in demand and make a nice wage. It is a good choice.
    I do disagree on taking the personality or interest tests. They are great in a great economy when you can choose what you want to do, but in this downturm, it is a good idea to enter a field where there are jobs. Maybe some day you can pick and choose, but not now.
    As far as counseling, I have to tell you, it is not easy to find a good school counseling center. And the problem is, you don't know which ones are good ones.
    If you can, get as close to a Bachelor's degree as you can, even if you take a more tech approach. At least that gives you more options.
    I also went back to school with three kids and a full time job, and even, for a while, going to school full time as well (Of course, I had a supportive and helpful hubby at home.) BTW, I don't recommend this. It is VERY hard. Better to work part time to support your schooling, if you are able to.
    I graduated from college at the age of 42.
    You can do this Bobby. Kudos to you!

• triciae
    14 years ago

Bobby, first kuddos for making the decision to return to school. It's hard to imagine a scenario where that could possibly be a bad choice.

Since you're already in sales, I'm assuming you're confident enough in your ability to deal with the downside inherent in that profession...rejection.

Have you considered medical sales?

My DS has a BS in biology with a minor in chemistry. He was recruited out of college by Astra-Zeneca for pharmaceutical sales. You can expect good/excellent pay, the ability to, within reason, set your own workday hours, excellent medical benefits, above average vacation time, etc. Downside: there's a lot of continuing education so you're never really out of school. Pharma companies provide "X" number of fully paid days/month that you're allowed to stay home & just study.

About 5 years ago, DS moved on to medical equipment sales with Medtronic. He literally bullied his way into his current position. DS's a Type I diabetic & he wanted to help others. He contacted Medtronic & met with them several times over a couple years to discuss what skills he needed to acquire to make the change. After acquiring that extra experience he went back to Metronic & asked for a job. His persistence paid off & he's very happy with his position. He sells insulin pumps, testing equipment, etc. & teaches seminars for diabetics. He feels he's found a life career helping people manage chronic disease.

You don't need a science degree (although it is helpful). Many pharma sales reps hold various business degrees. The real key to success is the desire to educate (doctors & patients both) and an ability to relate well to people. And, of course, whatever it is within a person that allows some to excel in sales (I'm assuming you've got that trait!).

The industry is wide open with hundreds of variations. You can do anything from sell aspirin to surgical equipment that would include actual operating room demonstrations.

If you're interested, I'd suggest contacting HR with one of the major medical companies like DS did. They gave him clear cut goals to meet to land his job. I know for sure that Astra-Zeneca, Allergan, & Medtronic have HR departments willing to work with potential employees. It's just another suggestion besides a college counselor.

Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll do well.

/tricia

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

Congratulations Bobby! Deciding is the hardest part. It took me 23 years off and on. Each time I quit, I thought, I'll do it again when I am ready. I have a bachelor's now that I will never use. But it's because I made it through 95% of it when I had my son.

If I had it to do over, I would've done the medical transcription thing you're considering. There is work. Plenty of work. Always will be. It pays well and you can do your own thing when you want to.

Another is phlebotomist. I know loads of people who do this. You can be an independent contractor and travel around meeting different people every day, 2 days a week, whatever schedule YOU pick... or you can work for a hospital, 9-5. Always work to do. Always will be.

But the question is, what do you LIKE doing?

Here is a link that might be useful: Phlebotmist

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I have not read this whole thread but wanted to comment on one thing: Dental Hygiene is a totally gross job. Your teeth may be brushed and flossed before you go to the dentist, but believe me, my Dad's are never flossed and poorly brushed.
    Dh and I often joke that they draw straws for Dad's cleaning.
    It takes them twice as long too.

• triciae
    14 years ago

Bobby,

I forgot to mention that if you're technology inclined an emerging medical field that's on the verge of explosion into something really big is robotics. The next 10 years offer great opportunities to get in on the ground floor. There are many start-up companies that are starting to become quite viable. DS was contacted by a head-hunter a few years ago & he interviewed a couple times. Sure, there's always risk with a newly emerging industry but the rewards are often substantial. A good college counselor should be able to discuss opportunities in this field. If not, again I'd suggest picking up the phone & calling a few asking what they're looking for in employees.

/tricia

• dlynn2
    14 years ago

I recommend nursing. You can enter the field with just an associates degree, and make good money, while continuing your education in the field getting a BSN. Then, you can even continue to specialize and do things like nurse anesthetist or nurse practitioner. Or, you could choose to go into administration or the sales route (as Tricia mentioned). I think nursing is a very broad field, with lots of potential, and great income. And the demand is pretty high, and will probably continue to be high. With nursing you can choose to work with patients in a hospital setting or doctor's office, or you could choose to not work with patients at all and work for insurance companies, in administrative positions at hospitals, work in medical sales, or even work in politics as a lobbyist!

I think nursing is good because there are great jobs for nurses with all levels of education. If you get just an associates degree and decide to never get anymore education, you can still work. But, if you choose to continue on in that same field and get more education, you can increase you income and options. Also, many hospitals will pay for ADN's to go back to school to get their BSN's.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

I am not sure I agree that Medical Transcription is a good field to get into. I work for a fairly large medical center and they no longer use transcriptionists, let them all go. Everything is done right in the room on the computer.

I have a girlfriend that does transcription. She works from home, makes okay money, but the hours aren't the best, and much of the dictation is being outsiourced overseas. As are many medical records jobs...

Just my observation.

Linda

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I certainly didn't know what I wanted to do at 26! I didn't find my career in television production until I over 30 and pregnant.
    If math is a stumbling block, doesn't that make any medical field more difficult? With the way healthcare is going, I think I'd look around for something else.

Stenography is a dead end. Transcriptions are being outsourced, and while court reporting will always be with us, until voice capture computers are perfected, there's no potential for growth. Close captioning is also outsourced, thus the mistakes you see.

What do you enjoy? Are you good with people--can you chat up a total stranger? Sales, journalism (which is also overcrowded), counseling are all areas where people skills are vital to success.

I'd agree with those who suggest taking an aptitude test. You can get a degree from taking online classes, and keep working.

• compumom
    14 years ago

Good for you for deciding to make a major change in your life! I think that 26 is a good time to make some decisions, you've been out in the workforce and have a much clearer picture of your likes, dislikes, aptitudes and passions. I know that I certainly wouldn't have gotten my degree in Communicative Disorders if I was to do it again. At 18, many of us felt pushed to choose a career when we were ill equipped to make such a decision. Also our tastes change and ways of doing business changed too. As you're hearing, stenography etc, is probably going the way of the dinosaur.
    If you're in sales now, you're probably good at talking to people and have a persuasive manner. I know that you're also a kind soul and turned off by the "ick" factor. Knowing all of that, I'd look for a job where you can interact with people use your writing and typing skills and try and leave math behind you.
    Agreed that a job in the medical fields will most likely require more math or science than you're comfortable with, but I might look towards something where the aging population might be headed. Perhaps facilities management-- or some geriatric specialty. Maybe a counseling job of some kind. Your assessment might point you to a more specific career,but I can tell you after spending a few years dealing with my aging parents and MIL, that geriatric care management either personally or in a facility would be a direction where there is bound to be a lot of growth.

It's hard to choose and as you've seen on this thread, many of us chose different career paths as we grew. My career was a natural outgrowth of my lifelong passion for the under-served and non-profit organizations. Sometimes you volunteer or work yourself into positions that are ideal. But clearly a degree of some type is always worthwhile!

• goldgirl
    14 years ago

Bobby - just remember it's never too late. I got my BA back in 1985 and am now in my second year of law school. I think you're at the perfect age to do this. Also remember, you don't have to pick a career and stay in it for the rest of your life. This will be my fourth! I've learned a lot about myself and am now doing things I never envisioned twenty years ago.

I'd caution against medical transcription. As Linda mentioned above, more and more doctors are outsourcing to other countries, so work here is drying up.

You seem like a such a people-person, and one who cares about others and has a great sense of humor. I don't "know" you personally, but my sense is you should take advantage of this and choose a career where your personality can shine.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Bobby - there isn't much I can add that hasn't already been said - but I am going to say it anyway. GOOD FOR YOU!!!! You are making a super decision to go back to school and please do speak with a career counselor at your local community college. They have lots of resources to help you.

Congrats and go for it!!!
    Alexa

• shaun
    14 years ago

Bobby wow you've gotten some really awesome info here. Good Luck in whatever direction you head. Now, for me, I'd like to see you get a position with a local newspaper and have your own column. You have a gift when it comes to writing......

• goldgirl
    14 years ago

I meant to add something about the journalism idea mentioned by others. Be aware that it's a really tough field right now. Local newspapers are struggling, and many are drastically cutting reporters and relying on rewriting press releases to create "news." Columns are often syndicated so they don't have to pay employees to write. It's heartbreaking - I don't even recognize the paper I used to write for. National pubs are having similar problems, as circulation shrinks because people want news for free.

On the brighter side, you may be able to do something with internet news feed publishers, if writing is a field that interests you.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

"An exit door is just an entrance to another opportunity."

One of the nice things of being part of this forum is that you get different views on any topic, and you sure have gotten many worthwhile suggestions.

If I may, here is my view:
    It is a daunting situation that this generation is confronted with, that is having to commit major financial and time investment for ones professional future. The honest truth is that today nothing is predictable anymore. Options have become much more limited and perilous. I remember on a recent TV program, a bunch of college graduates were very angry and accused that our college education system is the biggest scam around because it did nothing for them in getting work.
    Having said all these, I do believe in higher education. It just means that you have to be a lot more cautious, astute and define your goals realistically relative to your aptitude.
    College professional counseling can be useful, but I donÂt know if they offer unbiased advice.
    Perhaps your local Unemployment agency may have a division to advise people on current employment situations locally and nationally.
    I have a lot of business relationship with several major employment related businesses, The Ayers Group, Lee Hecht Harrison, Adia, Partners In Human Resources, etc. I know frequently they offer free seminars. Look into their WEB site and see if they have branch offices in your area.
    In New York , often we have Job Fairs.
    The past ten years in my free time after work, I also volunteer as the JobBank director for an association to help people look for work. My area of specialty is in commercial real estate, construction, and property management. Today, things are not that good in those fields, however, whenever the economy rebounds, those are not jobs that can be easily outsourced.
    In another forum where I participate, the same topic is being discussed, and I am copying part of a post from there:
    "---------------learn to speak Mandarin. China is going to be an economic juggernaut. We are only seeing the beginning now.-----"
    Having just came back from Vancouver, I have seen what the Chinese have done there, I do believe that will be the major business trend for the next century.

dcarch

• jojoco
    14 years ago

Bobby, when I think of what you've done in the past, where you live, and your love of people, I come up with the idea that you would be a wonderful concierge at one of the finer hotels/resorts in your area. I don't know what the pay is, but I bet you would be great at it.
    I also would not second the idea of dental hygienist. I am friends with my dentist and they talk about having to pay "battle pay" for some of these cleanings. Not really charging more, but really gross teeth. It might get to you.
    Be wary of jobs that can and will be replaced by technology. I know that has been said before, but it is the most important message on this thread. Think about it, you live in Fl, in a rapidly growing older population. Figure out what you can do to help the elderly while still making money. I don't know what it is, but it is there. Think outside the box. What do the elderly need that you can provide?
    jo

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions... you guys made me feel better. I found a guy on Myspace that I was in Anatomy and Physiology with which was the last class I took... He just graduated school and got a job nursing and found the love of his life and is happy as can be. I've always told myself not to use other people as a measuring stick for my life, but I think it's only natural to compare. You all have made me feel better and I know that when I go to the school on Tuesday and meet with a counselor (if they are helpful) I'll feel even better. I think I could still do dental hygiene... I just don't want wipe behinds and give enemas! I'll keep you all posted, and thanks again for the help, it means a lot!

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

The only thing I would add is to not let the fact that you're not good at math or you don't like math keep you away from the field of nursing or some of the other medical professions that require you to take math, chemistry and "regular" biology as requirements. I spent years trying to avoid having to take those courses but I finally bit the bullet and worked hard and got through them. Just beacause you don't like math and find it difficult doesn't mean you can't get through those introductory courses. Some of it is just developing the good study skills that will help you get through ALL of your college courses, and some of it is developing a certain type of discipline that is required in the medical field--you're going to be dealing with people's lives so you have to be able to deal with a certain amount of stress and stay cool and focused. I teach those intro bio courses and I find a lot of students drop out because they think they have to get all A's or nothing, but B's are fine as long as you don't get a lot of C's and no D's, (there's really no excuse for a "D" since my students who get D's always do so because they don't do a significant portion of the work.) They also drop out because they get frustrated and discouraged during the first year or year and a half, but anyone who has made it through will tell you once you get over that hurdle the rest is fun. Also don't get distracted by all the med. school neurosis that some students carry around with them. One step at a time gets you to where you want to be, which is the lesson I learned on my field ecology course halfway up Mt. Kootenai. Believe me Bobby, I have some type of math dyslexia, I can barely write my own phone number correctly, but I made it through advanced algebra and trig. and chemistry and all of that. I got a LOT of HELP, which is the other reason a lot of students crash and burn, they think they have to do it all themselves and they don't take advantage of tutoring and study groups and the like. The students that do well in my class are the ones hanging around the learning center working with tutors or in study groups with similarly disciplined colleagues, or are in with the professors every week getting help.

Honestly, knowing what a math-o-phobe I was in high school my friends were very surprised when I went into science. So if I can do it ANYBODY can. I did it by staying focused on my long term goals and working my buns off, but it was well worth it! A lot of students who are not naturally good at math can do well if they PRACTICE enough. They just need to spend more time at it than some people. That was my secret. And once you get into a groove with those first tough classes, everything else will seem like CAKE CITY! Props to my math genius brother for coming down to stay with me for whole weekends at a time while I was in college and making me work problem after problem, and giving me advice on the phone practically every night. He was in HIGH SCHOOL and was doing the same problems as I was doing in college.

I lived in a dorm across from the Chem. building and I was in the help room a couple nights a week and during the weekdays sometimes for hours at a time preparing for tests. But it wasn't too bad, I made a lot of good friends with my fellow students. I think you will enjoy school now, after a few years away. Most of my older students really seem to like school. They know why they are there and don't sweat the small stuff. Anyway, the point is, with any difficult subject you have to take, where there is a WILL, there is a WAY! The staff at a good community college are totally dedicated to that concept, which is why you will really like going back!

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

I can only repeat what several others have said. If you don't know what you really like to do or are talented at then take the test and train for that. I never liked any of my jobs becaue my talent and interest was in designing. What I would give if I had gone to school to be a designer.

As for as the medical transcriptionist, that is what my DD does for a living. She doesn't mind the job, but they have been threatening them with outsourcing for several months now.

Follow your interests and good luck!

Beverly