SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peanutpeanutbutter

Is courtesy/etiquette out-dated?

peanutpeanutbutter
10 years ago

I don't post much, but I need some input please.

I emailed my friend Joan & asked if she wanted to meet for lunch at a nearby restaurant--she's in her late 60s. We always go dutch treat. She emails me back and says she asked Maude to come along, and hopes that's okay.

If Joan had NOT already asked Maude, I would have responded and said "I just wanted it to be the two of us gals this time, but let's plan another lunch for the 3 of us."

I never got that chance because Joan already invited Maude.

To me, it was rude of Joan to invite Maude, because the invitation came from me to Joan, and didn't include anyone else. If I wanted to include Maude, I would have done so and mentioned it to Joan in my initial email.

We'll all go to lunch and have a nice time, but this bugs me anyway.

Is etiquette a thing of the past? Wouldn't you think a person in their late 60s would have grown up with the courtesy that was usually common in that generation (unlike Gen Entitled)?

Am I way off base here? It seems, one way or another, at any given time, people always want to bring someone, whether to lunch, a dinner party, wedding, or whatever, and ask "Is it okay to bring my xxxx" or "I invited my xxxx-hope that's okay!"

Peanut

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert