SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20012809

The King's Speech

User
13 years ago

Has anyone else seen it? What a great film. I'm in love (not sure with whom, though!!) :)

Comments (49)

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Not yet, but I want to. I would have gone this week except for all the snow we're getting. I'm looking forward to it! (Thanks for the review.)

• dedtired
    13 years ago

I saw it and just loved it. Movies like this are so rare any more. I hope lots of CFers have the chance to see it.

Maybe I'm in love with Lionel??

• Related Discussions

MLK day--Let us remember Dr. King

Q

Comments (1)
    So much of Dr. King's speech should be required reading once a year in every school class until everybody remembers it. Today you have young people of every race which don't even know his role in history.
    ...See More

Th King's Speech

Q

Comments (7)
    Lisa, you are right about the affection he feels towards everyone in his family, even trying to help his ungrateful brother. When he takes the time before a formal event to tell his daughters a bedtime story, give them big hugs, and tells them to stable and feed their hobby horses--key moment to illustrate the difference between him and his own father. The scene I mentioned is really an extension of that earlier moment of personal affection (and the hobby horses are in the scene, too, now that I think of it.) Sorry you missed that opening scene--he's expected to give a short speech as a stand-in for his ill father and a whole stadium full of people listens in embarrasmment for him because he's literally incapable of doing it. So the "king's speech" covers the two speeches that come at the beginning and end of the film and the enormous transformation in the "king's speech" that leads from the first to the second. Marda, I heard a program on NPR about it and even heard a snippet of the actual speech given by George VI. The concensus was that the film was very accurate in terms of history.
    ...See More

looking for movie suggestions to rent or watch on demand

Q

Comments (72)
    Bumblebeez - whenever I happen upon Last of the Mohicans while channel flipping I stop immediately and watch it again. It gets me every time. Last night it was on AMC - Story Notes, an AMC feature where they insert captions at the bottom of the screen with brief 'notes' about the film. It's the first time I watched one - the notes were interesting the first time, but I wouldn't want to see it that way again. But I discovered you can simply read a list of the trivia on AMC's web site. Here is a link that might be useful: AMC Story Notes - Last of the Mohicans
    ...See More

The King's Speech

Q

Comments (7)
    There was a post on it a couple of weeks ago. I did a search but nothing came up. We went to see it on Tuesday and really enjoyed it. Our son, Shannon, was with us and he commented that if he had seen the title (without me telling him it was good) he probably would not have watched it. He did say that it was an excellent movie and he enjoyed it. At the end of the movie a lot of the audience clapped.
    ...See More
  • spacific
    13 years ago

We saw it last weekend. Finally a date night with DH! First non-kid movie we've seen in a very long while. It was well worth it. Love Colin Firth.

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

This encouraging as it has been on my list since I saw the trailers on TV! I hope to see it soon in a theater; the last three movies that I have seen were on screens attached to the back of an airplane seat.

• cloudy_christine
    13 years ago

I'm looking forward to it.
    There's a really good interview with Colin Firth in yesterday's Wall Street Journal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colin Firth interview

• compumom
    13 years ago

Hollywood are you listening? FINALLY A GREAT MOVIE that's not depressing!!!

• dedtired
    13 years ago

I plan to wait to see The Black Swan at home on DVD. I just don't want to spend the money to see such a dark movie. I am looking forward to seeing True Grit in the theater.

• colleenoz
    13 years ago

Colin Firth could read the shipping news and I'd get all a-flutter. He will always be the definitive Mr Darcy.

• canarybird01
    13 years ago

I am looking forward to seeing it if it ever comes over here.

I agree Colleen, for me too Colin Firth will always be the handsome Mr. Darcy....sigh.

SharonCb

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

I've loved everything I've seen with Colin Firth in it, but I haven't seen everything he's done. I want to see The King's Speech, but haven't yet. We did go see True Grit at the theatre, the first movie we've seen in the theatre in a very long time. It was very good. The girl in it was wonderful. We usually get our movies from the library. If we go to the theater, it's usually for visually stunning movies, but there's ben several of those we've missed at the theater, also. It's just so expensive. However, when we do venture to the theater, we go to the first showing of the day, which is the cheapest, and least crowded, also.

Sally

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

OMG CF is MY age!! I want to be described as "a youngish 50." :)
    He is one of my favorite actors and favorite hunks!! Loved the interview, thanks for posting it CC! He sounds like he's taking his cues from Michael Caine, another one of my favorite actors.
    BTW, "Mama Mia" is a must miss in my book, for all the actors involved.
    I liked CF in "And Then She Found Me" although I kind of hated the movie. Bette Midler was good in that too, but Helen Hunt and Matthew Broderick were awful. Script wasn't too good either, but CF's character was very endearing. I love him in Bridget Jones Diary. Wish he would get some more romantic lead roles in something a little more substantial. I've seen a lot of his other movies but really can't recommend any one in particular. None are terrible but nothing really stands out. Oh, except for "Pride and Prejudice" of course, but that goes without saying, lol!

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

True Grit was much better than I expected, and I'm glad we saw it. My previous recollection of the John Wayne/Kim Darby version didn't make me want to revisit this at all, and I was glad to be pleasantly surprised.

• dedtired
    13 years ago

By the way, is anyone watching the current Masterpiece Classic series, called Downton Abbey? It is fabulous. Go back and catch the first two episodes before seeing the last two, which are coming up this week and next. If liked Pride & Prejudice or Upstairs, Downstairs, you will love this.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been watching Downton Abbey, it's very good, I'm always looking forward the next episode. There's going to be a Christmas Special, which I hope PBS will air, and it's been renewed for another season.

I'm just finishing listening to the new book by Ken Follett, The Fall of Giants and it starts with the coronation of George V - June 22, 1911 (this is the first book of a trilogy), and ends after WWI, so the time period is about the same. By late Sunday evening, I have to remind myself that it's 2011, not 1911. It's not always easy.

• chase_gw
    13 years ago

I can't wait to see The Kings' Speech. I just know it's my type of movie.

As for Colin Firth...be still my heart! He will always be Mr Darcy to me. I have P&P on disc.....how does a bottle of red wine, spaghetti, garlic bread with cheese, blazing fire at the cottage and watching P&P sound?

Now if only there were some girls up her to share it with! LOL

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Ken Follett, The Fall of Giants Sounds like something I would like! I love Follett's books, have a fixation on WWII (don't know why), and I do audio books.

Thanks

• cloudy_christine
    13 years ago

I rented the Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice about a month ago. He shines in it, but for me it really suffers from the awful casting of Lydia. I kept wondering who on earth that untalented, unattractive 26-year-old playing a 14-year-old was sleeping with. Especially because it's very important to the plot that she's not much more than a child being taken advantage of.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you want to listen to audio books, for free, use your library card. There's a program called Overdrive, that many, if not most, public libraries make available to their patrons. You can download, for free, audiobooks and ebooks and videos that you can listen to or read on a lot of different devices. That's how I got to listen to Ken Follet's book right after it came out.

I get audiobooks and transfer them to my iPod and listen in the car everyday (they don't expire on the iPod), and I also download ebooks and transfer them to my Sony eReader. And it's all FREE. I love it. I've been using it for years. There's even an app for it. My daughter and I use each other's library card, since different states access different books, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overdrive

• woodie
    13 years ago

I loved The King's Speech and actually I thought Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush should have shared the best actor award - I thought they were both wonderful and both co-stars.

I think I'm the only person I know who didn't care for True Grit, maybe its just because I simply am not a fan of westerns.

We saw The Fighter and I loved it - I now understand why Christian Bale won the best supporting actor at Golden Globe - but again - I think he and Mark Wahlberg were both the star actors and not one supporting.

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

BF and I went to see the Kings Speech last night. I liked it a lot. I'm a CF fan and anglophile though, and I thot it said a lot about teaching, so it really spoke to me. BF obsessed the whole time about someone coughing behind us. Oddly, I did not even HEAR them.

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Lpink, I'm with your BF. Having someone cough or constantly clear their throat or worse -- whisper! -- drives me insane. I can't think about anything else except that, and I am not above turning around and throwing them a dirty look, especially the whisperers. Coughers should just stay home and throat clearers should bring some hard candy. Am I a grump or what??

Because I'm enjoying Downton Abbey so much, I went back and watched the Cranford series. It was very enjoyable, although not quite as good as Downton. I do love happy endings!

• dedtired
    13 years ago

.. and the hard candy better not have a crinkly wrapper.

• colleenoz
    13 years ago

We went to see the first Girl With the Dragon Tattoo movie in a small, art-house type theatre. The couple behind us was so irritating I wanted to stick a knife into one or both. Through the whole movie they crinkled candy wrappers and chip bags, crunched chips, guzzled drinks loudly, talked, burped and farted (I kid you not) and at one point one got up, left (banging the back of my seat in the process) and came back. At the end I nearly asked to exchange phone numbers, so I could call and make sure we would never share a theatre again.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Pam, I'm enjoying Downton Abbey too - and from what I've read, there will be more of this series ....YAY!

There is Return to Cranford also, did you know? And have you seen the Larkrise to Candleford series? Another time and place but great characters and stories about city folks vs. country folks.

Take care - and no more suspicious leftovers!
    Teresa

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Hi Teresa. No, I didn't know there is more to Cranford. I'll have to see if the library has it. I would be thrilled if there is more Downton Abbey coming!

I also have Middlemarch at home and plan to watch that one. I enjoyed Bleak House, too. Many years ago I watched every minute of Upstairs Downstairs.

From now on everything I use for cooking will get a very suspicious sniff test first! Makes me think of the cook in Downton who put salt in the dessert. Ick.

• cloudy_christine
    13 years ago

I have to reread Middlemarch. I read it through another snowy January, but I remember my son was still at home, so it was a while ago. I read all of Jane Austen the first time when I was about 20, but George Eliot had been poisoned for me by a high-school encounter with Silas Marner. I was so surprised at how wonderful Middlemarch is.

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

I think I have the flu! BF is blaming the coughers and he may be right!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

And I thought I was the only one who loved Larkrise to Candleford. And Return to Cranford.

• ann_t
    13 years ago

This movie is on our list of those we want to see. Even more so now that I've read the great reviews here.

Ann

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You'll love it.

Did you know that Colin Firth lived in your neck of the woods for a while, with Meg Tilly in a log cabin in BC, they have a son.

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

I have yet to see it, but I've neard nothing but good about it.

As for The Black Swan, no way would I be interested in seeing it.

• dedtired
    13 years ago

I think I'll wait for Black Swan to come out on DVD. I'd rather see the feel good movies in the theater.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rats, now you've got me watching Lark Rise to Candleford.

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

I recorded Downton Abbey, and just started watching it last night. I don't usually watch shows like that, and DH even less so, but we both watched it and enjoyed it. We just saw the first installment, but my DVR automatically records everything on Masterpiece, so I've got it all.

As for bad movie experiences, the worst one we had was when we were trying to watch Gladiator. I guess the whole feel of the movie crept into the audience, because there was a couple that were loudly talking and making noise a couple of rows behind us. The people directly behind us took issue with it, and kept shushing them. One of the men, I don't remember which, actually swung a punch, and they started fighting. They nearly landed on us! Luckily, the fight ended quickly, and the people involved left. We were able to watch the rest of the movie in peace and quiet.

Sally

• cloudy_christine
    13 years ago

Good Lord! Fighting during Gladiator!
    For anyone who hasn't seen it, do. It's another wonderful Russell Crowe movie.

• Lars
    13 years ago

Yesterday morning I saw some clips of TKS on CBS Sunday Morning when they were interviewing Geoffrey Rush. The clips they showed of him were very funny, and now I want to see the movie, but I will wait for the DVD. His humor was very dry, but I really liked him in this.

Here's a quote from one of the clips I saw:

Lionel Logue: [as George "Berty" is lighting up a cigarette] Please don't do that.
    King George VI: I'm sorry?
    Lionel Logue: I believe sucking smoke into your lungs will kill you.
    King George VI: My physicians say it relaxes the throat.
    Lionel Logue: They're idiots.
    King George VI: They've all been knighted.
    Lionel Logue: Makes it official then.
    [from imdb.com]

Lionel Logue is the Geoffrey Rush character. It's funnier when you see the characters speaking the parts. I also like the clip where Lionel sat on the king's throne (or chair).

Lars

• lowspark
    13 years ago

Well, I finally saw it. And I LOVED it. I have now seen nine of the ten Best Picture nominees and this one wins hands down. Inception is sitting on the bar waiting to be watched, I'll be watching it either tonight or tomorrow.

I also vote for Colin Firth and Geoffey Rush in their respective categories. Great movie.

I did like True Grit a lot too. Black Swan was spooky and haunting but I have to hand it to Natalie Portman for her performance. Brilliant.

For Best Supporting actor, I'll have to decide, but right now it's a three way tie (IMO) between Helena Bonham Carter, Hailee Steinfeld and Amy Adams. I'm guessing Carter will win if The King's Speech sweeps the awards which it has a pretty good chance of doing.

I almost NEVER go to the movie theatre anymore. Haven't been in YEARS. I have a large flat screen and surround sound and I'm happy. No rude people sitting nearby -- except me and my friends and family LOL! But hey, we can always rewind if needed. Or pause for a bathroom break. And pop my own popcorn at 1% of the price at the theatre. For me, the days of paying $$$$ for a movie experience are OVER.

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

I just saw "The King's Speech" and Hollywood does need to sit up and take notice that everyone loved it.

I also loved not only Colin Firth, but also Geoffrey Rush. They are both teriffic actors.

• chase_gw
    13 years ago

Loved it too. One of the best movies I've seen in years. I'm hoping it will sweep the Oscars.

• lowspark
    13 years ago

I watched Inception last night. This is the first time in at least 25 years that I've actually seen all the best pic nominees BEFORE the oscars. It was ok. One of those movies where you have to believe something is possible and even almost part of the culture, that is, in fact, a crazy fantasy. I won't say more than that but I found the film to be equivalent to a low level Sci-Fi film because it explained nothing, and instead relied on (admittedly stunning) visual effects to move the story along. And it had the obligatory ambiguous ending. Thumbs down on that one, and how it got nominated, I don't know.

King's Speech: I'm hoping it will sweep the Oscars. Me too.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I think Inception is one of the most interesting and captivating movies I've seen in years. Highly entertaining.
    I've seen it several times and keep finding new layers.

The first time I watched it, I thought about it for days.

My Dad liked it and didn't understand it(at all), dh understood it but disliked it!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you want to see the original version of this great film, this is the weekend to do it. Apparently the Disney edit will be released in theatres in the US on Friday. What a pity.

• chase_gw
    13 years ago

Oh no!

No way we can get to the theater this weekend and Clive hasn't seen it yet! It's such a great historical movie for kids to see so I get the editing but edit a video version for showing in schools....it will lose much!

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

We went to see it last Monday, the 28th and both enjoyed it. I don't know what you mean by the Disney edit, or if that's what we saw. What great performances! From the language used in part of it, I assume we saw the original version, but I don't know. I can't imagine how they'd edit it out. It's integral to the story, and entirely appropriate.

Sally

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The edited (Disney) version came out today, and the reviews aren't great. I agree, those scenes are important and appropriate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Editing a great film

• colleenoz
    13 years ago

Apart from anything else, why can people just not accept that their kids can't do everything they want? Some things are rightly in the adult preserve. When I was a kid, we accepted that there were some things our parents got to do because they were adults- go to bars, go to grown up parties, etc, and when we were adults them we could do it too. We had babysitters for those times. Now parents want to have their kids almost surgically attached and take them absolutely everywhere they go. Bowdlerising this movie is like making non-alcoholic scotch so kiddies can drink it too. What next, alcohol-free bars so parents can take their kids there too?

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Colleen, I couldn't agree more.

• lowspark
    13 years ago

I agree wholeheartedly Colleen! I think the idea that kids have to go everywhere adults go is a byproduct of both parents working and the associated guilt. But in the end, I feel it's a disservice not only to adults but to the kids too. I believe that kids need to see their parents going off to do adult things and need to understand that adults do things that aren't allowed or appropriate for kids. It's part of the growing up process. When we tell kids that they are equal to adults somehow or that nothing is off limits, what do they have to strive for? Not that going to bars or drinking alcohol is necessarily something to strive for, but when we grow up, we acquire both additional responsibilities and privileges. I'm not sure that either of those concepts are being taught to many kids these days.

• chase_gw
    13 years ago

When I was a kid I loved watching my Mom and Dad dress up on a Saturday night and go off dancing. My Mom would put her hair up in a "French roll" and I would pin fake flowers along the side. I have no idea where they went but it did not involves us!

We would have a baby sitter and a special treat of some sort but we surely better be sound a sleep when they came home.

We never went out much when our kids were growing up, it just didn't grab us but we did have people over for adult dinner parties and get togethers that did not include kids. In those instance I would take my kids to my sisters or my Moms.

I firmly believe that kids should not be included in everything adults do. It's sorta like the little table......someday you get to move up to the big table but it's a passage.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022