SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Memorial service without reception

dedtired
12 years ago

I went to a memorial service this afternoon for one of my very best friends from high school who died of cancer much too young. Her death came as a real shock to me. I thought she had beaten the cancer and I didn't know it had recurred.

Her husband had a memorial service for her in Maryland where they lived and then again here where she grew up. That in itself was kind of odd (two services), but I'm glad they did it because I couldn't get to the first service. I was in the middle of cataract surgery or I would have gone.

Anyway, it was a Catholic service and it was lovely (although the incense makes my eyes burn!). I recognized a few people there but not many. I bet I knew them but did not recognize them. After the service ended, everyone left. I would have loved to have stayed on for a cup of coffee to talk about my friend and remember her with others. I barely had a chance to talk to her husband and he looked so sad, I wished I could have said a few words to him.

Is that more common now -- no reception? There was no interment because she was cremated. I just left feeling kind of empty.

Comments (16)