Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calling Wizard--Charlevoix Article

Posted by mustangs (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 9, 11 at 11:53

Hey Nancy, there is a nice article in my Sunday paper, travel section, about Charlevoix. Just thought I'd give you a heads up that there may be more tourist tramping around.

*Nancy has mentioned the area in MI where she lives so I'm not revealing the unknown.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calling Wizard--Charlevoix Article

Cathy, does it make you want to come for a visit?

Half the people around here are down your way right now.

Nancy

o

Nancy, I wanted to visit BEFORE I read the article!

Yes, we do have a lot of Michiganders here and we love them. It's only going to be 70 degrees today and colder tomorrow so I don't know how they will like that though. We had a couple from Michigan to dinner last weekend. I served them fresh orange juice (in wine glasses) to show them what real Florida OJ tastes like. Sure enough they said it didn't taste like the Florida OJ they get back home. I said "yeah, that's what gives our OJ a bad name."

We also have a lot of Canadians, so many that there are local radio shows specifically with news from home and information on special services down here for Canadians.

Except for the excruciating increase in traffic, it's a pleasure to have the snowbirds and, of course, what they add to our economy

o

"only 70 degrees today" -- gee, I wouldn't want it to be 70, would I? Not when I can stay here and have a high of 34 with more snow on the way!

I've got to get to Michigan one day, in warmer weather.

o

70 seems like a dream here as well. I'm hoping!!! It's been so dank and cold here and with this unending remodel it's worse because some rooms aren't heated!

o

My bad--it was 74 degrees today not 70. But tomorrow it will be really cold.

BTW Nancy, the article mentions the "quirky mushroom houses of Charlevoix" by builder Earl Young.

o

And really cold is???? LOL

We Canadians do love Florida. I swear ha;lf of the winter population must be Canadians. Quebecers in particular love your State.

We hope to head down in late Feb or early March, depends on how the house sale thing goes.

o

Sharon, I hope that there will be an opening in your itinerary to get-together with you and Clive; I know my way around Florida! Or if you are in my area, I would love to entertain you.

o

Pam, while Clive and Sharon go south to Florida, come on to Michigan.

Well, truly, I'd say come to Michigan in June or in September, my two favorite months. Not hot, not cold, June is green and lovely, September is green and lovely, LOL. October is nice too, when the hardwoods change.

I'll give you the grand tour and I'll bet some other Michigan members would help!

Annie

o

Thanks, Annie. You may find me on your doorstep one day.

o

How could I have forgotten to mention that the article includes Nancy's new kitchen among the "must sees"!

o

MI is actually fabulous in the winter. Great skiing. Not high peaks but good for my level. I cross country ski anyway. The roads are good (read flat, plowed, not icy) unless a huge storm has just passed thru or is passing thru, and the snow is powdery a lot of the time. Not crowded. Beautiful. Wish I could convince BF to go skiing with me there. But glad most NEasters think MI is a bore and not good enough for them. Yeah, don't believe a word I say, MI, ptooey!

o

Cathy...you are too funny!

There is a lot to see here though. In addition to the mushroom houses, there are many historical summer homes and
Castle Farm, all built out of stone.

Charlevoix is also known as a great beach town. Lake Michigan on one side and Lake Charlevoix on the other. Lot's of fresh water to play in.

Nancy ~ come play in Michigan!

o

Speaking of Snowbirds--today I met a couple who had just arrived here from New Brunswick, Canada--on a motorcycle!! They looked like they were in their mid-70's!! Remarkable people!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here