SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

I really hate computers. (A cautionary tale.)

caflowerluver
12 years ago

A cautionary tale is a story which contains a warning. I have one for all of you. Learn from my hard lesson.

Awhile back around mid Dec., I was having problems with my computer. So DH put all my files for the last 5 years on the external hard drive. I had been backing them up there every month but keeping a copy on my computer's hard drive. He said that is the only safe place to save them so they won't get corrupted by trojans or virus, and to leave nothing on the computer's hard drive. Well guess what, the external hard drive went south and I lost everything from the last 5 years. That is when we bought it. Before I use to put a year's worth of files on DVD or CDs.

I went to save some files onto my external hard drive Saturday morning but it wasn't appearing on my list of devices. It had disappeared. It turns out that when he installed Windows 7 he was suppose to unplug all external devices. (It didn't say that in the instructions.) It must have reformated the drive and wiped everything out.

We have been spending the whole weekend trying to recover the files. I have used over 6 different free recovery programs, waste of time, so finally broke down and bought one last night. It scanned the hard drive over night and found nothing. This was after DH thought the USB port might be bad so he removed the external hard drive from its case and installed it as a "slave" drive inside the computer so there wouldn't be any connection problems.

All my pictures, Photoshop artwork, Word documents like letters, etc from the last 5 years are gone. Wiped out. I had stopped burning them to DVDs because that is what the external hard drive was for so didn't need to. The joke is on me.

I wish I would had at least copied the pictures and artwork. Can't go back in a time machine and retake those pictures of Tom or Elvira or the projects around the house. I guess in some ways film is better. At least I would still have the pictures. So if you want to keep your pictures, burn them to a DVD or CD or make paper copies. Put your files on a flash drive. Learn from my mistake.

I am really really down and bummed out.

Clare

Comments (16)