SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

This cold is killing me!

doucanoe
14 years ago

OMG I got up this morning and it is 65F in the house. I can barely walk, my RA is terrible in these temps!

-14 outside yesterday morning and I don't think it got above -10. It's been this cold forr a week and the week ahead doesn't look much better. It's sucking the life rightt outta me! LOL

It's this part of winter that always makes me wonder why I never left MN.

How's the weather where you are?

Linda (going to take some Advil...)

Comments (92)

• annie1992
    14 years ago

There is absolutely something wrong with this weather, it's 32F here and only 46F in Pensacola, Florida!

You are right, Peppi, Pancho is a spoiled rotten Chihuahua from h*ll. Elery is such a softie, the dog runs the show. Always. He's actually bitten me a couple of times and he bit Ashley twice in about 2 minutes last weekend.

He's old and small, so he doesn't hurt, but still....

Here the sun is shining and I walked to work, it was actually very pleasant. We're supposed to get about 6 inches of snow tomorrow, though.

Annie

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

Should I enter here and gloat? Bwa-ha-ha. I'm sitting here in a sleeveless shell it's so hot today. It's a twinset though - because by the time I get off work it'll be 20 degrees colder. I have not turned on the heat this year due to hot flashes. Ugh.

Renee, it IS dry up there - whenever I've visited I have to remember to carry water with me or I'll start to feel desiccated. My hair goes all flat and flyaway too. During my winter visits to the east coast of FLA I have curly hair. The humidity there feels so good to me.

• Related Discussions

Is there hope for cold-killed jade plant?

Q

Comments (14)
    weedlady, Here's to hoping your plants can/do recover. I left a Sansevieria out one night only for it to be frozen the next morning. The temperature wasn't even that cold, but I had neglected to cease waterings once the temperatures started getting colder. I bet your 'Spider Plants' will come back if the roots are still viable (maybe you can unpot just to make sure they're not mush?). My MIL seems to "kill" hers off every year and they come back the next year more lush than ever! I think she's even repeatedly "killed" a 'Peace Lily' a couple years in a row, but it has come back from the roots. I don't know if she's kept them dry or not though. Granted, she does things to her plants I cannot replicate unless I want to kill mine. Keeps them in real low light, drowns them, you name it. They thrive. It's annoying honestly. :P Let us know if any of your plants come back. They may just surprise you! If you sense any "firmness" on your Jades, you could cut back to the firm part and as long as the roots haven't rotted, they should be fine. *crossing fingers* Planto
    ...See More

Double layering plastic for Greenhouse?

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi, I need advice on fixing greenhouse plastic sheeting to the inside wooden frame of our new polycarbonate greenhouse. See photo. Should the entire inside lining of the roof be one solid sheet of plastic? I've cut narrow strips of plastic for fitting between each the beams, securing the edges with sticky "cloth tape" -- but realise I need advice: I know thin wooden battens would be best to fix the plastic to the wooden beams, but I am in a hurry -- it's the middle of winter here and I want to start growing things. I tried using double sided tape but it is not strong enough to hold the plastic up to the roof. I hope to have about a 3" air gap. For heating I will be using old oil barrels (cleaned out) with water as passive solar collectors; parked on small stones at the back of the rear wall of the greenhouse (out of view) Greenhouse dimensions: 5 meters long and 2 meters wide. Our winter is cold (overnight down to zero degree centigrade, winter midday gets to about 12 degrees C. We live in the south of Tasmania (island south of Australia) -- posting a question here as there are more greenhouses in N America than in this neck of the woods, it seems. Thanks in advance :)
    ...See More

how to tell if seedlings were killed by cold

Q

Comments (1)
    too wet?
    ...See More

Please check on bluebirds/cold rain kills

Q

Comments (2)
    That is good advice Ray. I am in NW GA, but our lows have been just about 40 degrees. I don't think we made it past 55 yesterday, and it was downright awful out. What is up with this cold in mid-May?~~Angie
    ...See More
  • woodie
    14 years ago

Ohhhhhhhh, its a twinset! That makes me feel so much better, Gina. Greetings from New Jersey - you know, the northeast part of that other coast where our twinsets are either fleece, flannel or wool.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

That's cute poem, May, and so true.

Not only am I freezing, I've also got the cold from hell. My head feel slike it's going to explode. I've been blowing my nose for days. My throat and ears were hurting but that seems better now.

I stayed home yesterday but I can't stay home anymore because there is just too much to do at work. I have a committee meeting on Friday morning and I had to get everything in order for that. Ugh. All I want to do is crawl in bed and stay there.

It's supposed to be even colder this weekend. Enough already!

• lindac
    14 years ago

We had a heat wave today....actually got to about 14 and was noticably more pleasant out......until it started to snow!
    About 2 it started snowing at about an inch an hour....
    Supposed to get 8 or more inches of the stuff....and about 4 this morning the wind will start...40 to 45 MPH they say.....meaning that all this snow will blow sideways and pile into huge packed hard drifts.
    I am so glad I don't HAVE to go anywhere....the roads are a mess, there is a no tow order out and I hear from the highway patrol that there is a mass of accidents just 4 miles west of me.
    I'd like to get out of here, but it's too awful to travel!!
    Linda C

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

If it gets much colder I'm going to invest in twinsets that are fleece, flannel AND wool - two layers of each, all worn at the same time! It's 31F and clear at present, but feels like 22F because of the 12mph wind.

Teresa, in the sunny but cold South....brrrrrr!

• momj47
    14 years ago

This is a real winter, we haven't had one here for a few years. As cold and snowy as it has been, my grandchildren LOVED it. They don't get much snow in San Antonio, they had a ball in the snow; sledding and making a snowman and throwing snow balls and making a snow angel. They are gone now, I've turned the heat down and shut the extra bedrooms. It's quiet and I don't get a hug when I get home from work. Sigh.........

We're supposed to get some snow tomorrow night and I'm ready, I've got plenty of milk, eggs and toilet paper.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

May, we must have the Rambo strain of mosquitos here because this frigid weather doesn't kill off any of the little SOB's! LOL

Linda, I heard on the news that you are going to get pummeled once again! Poor baby..stay warm!

I think we may see a flurry or two. High temps the next couple of days will be 3F and 6F, respectively. But it appears the cold snap will break by mid-week next week...high of 32F on Tuesday or Wednesday!
    Woo-Freakin'-Hoo! I may break out my tank tops and flip-flops! (heehee)

Linda

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

LindaC is sharing her snow. We are due to get it starting at midnight. My office has already said that we may close around 2ish tomorrow. Praying it won't take 2 hours to get home though.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

This cold is killing me....and my grass, all my ferns and crotons! The yard guy fertilized my yard on Monday and it's dead on Wednesday. I guess that was money thrown away.

But, I'm not complaining 'cause you all have it really tough. Stay safe.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, check it out! It's almost 9am and it's already 5F!
    I believe we are well on our way to double digit temps today! LOL

Linda

• annie1992
    14 years ago

LOL, Linda, it's 11:45 am here and 27F, 20MPH winds making wind chill about 5F. We're getting snow now, 6 more inches before midnight, the forecasters are doing the "doom and gloom" thing.

Since when is 6 inches of snow an emergency in Michigan. Heck, I got out my ruler, that's just above my ankle, sheesh.

Annie

• loagiehoagie
    14 years ago

Ha! Annie, you are right on! We have about 3-6 inches forecast. It started about 11:30am when I started on my mid-day doggie visits. I encountered about 4 'senior' citizens driving approximately 10-15 mph. Okay, it was a bit slick but these people were keeping everyone lined up for miles. For God's sake, this is MI and we get snow! And if you are uncomfortable driving in it...STAY HOME!!!!!!!

Duane
    The funny thing was as far as I could determine they mostly all had 4wd.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

DH is on a run from North Dakota to Idaho that can only move by day, and he says that's fine by him since the temps are in the -20 range. He's looking forward to getting to Idaho where the temps are at least in the positive numbers.

And he's told me several times how he now thinks LLBean silk long johns are the best thing EVER. LOL! Guess I better order another pair or two.

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

Tempest in a teapot here. At most we got 4 inches, no big deal but half the office called out. Took me 20 minutes to get home, normal is 40. For g*ds, sake, this is the Midwest and yes, we get snow. Deal with it and learn to drive.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

LOL, Peppi and Duane. I walked! You're right, though, Duane, the old folks with 4 wheel drive vehicles are the slowest drivers I've ever encountered. I've seen them get passed by Amish buggies!

Annie

• compumom
    14 years ago

When I saw this in the Inbox this morning, I naturally thought of all of my CF friends shivering in their cold beds. While it sounds great for a few nights out here, with SoCal weather I don't think that I could justify owning it. I love Frontgate's products so I thought I'd pass it along. They also have another type that has three zones, do a search on the site, I can't link both to this post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zoned Heated Mattress Pad

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Did anyone else see teh story about the iguanas freezing in Florida? They kind of go into a coma and kerthunk, fall out of the trees. People have picked them up thinking they are dead only to have them come back to life when they warm up. Very strange. Nothing like getting hit on the head by a frozen iguana falling from a tree.

• momj47
    14 years ago

That is too funny.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG! The image in my head....

Nothing like getting hit on the head by a frozen iguana falling from a tree.

Thanks, Pam! That made me laugh out loud!

Linda

• partst
    14 years ago

I saw the story about the iguanas in Florida on the news yesterday and DH didnÂt believe me LOL Our high today is expected to be about 60 not to warm for Ca. DH works in Bakersfield and said going down the canyon this morning his car thermometer said 55 until he went out the mouth of the canyon and hit the fog it went down to 36. The fog down there is just bone chilling cold and damp not to mention downright dangerous to drive in. I have on several occasions gotten down to the power plant at the end of the canyon and turned around it scared me to death to drive in the fog. I know IÂm a wimp if we get 1 inch of snow I stay home.

Claudia

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

My DD met a GF at the Green Iguana yesterday and the place was all a buzz about the poor iguanas. They have become a very popular pet but few people are aware of how difficult they are to take care of so they turn them loose.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

They need to make signs: "Watch for Falling Iguanas!"

Out on the NC coast we have poor sea turtles that are being stunned by the cold water and are washing ashore. They gradually warm them up in warmer water, clean them up good, and release them back out into the ocean. Except for the one species they found that usually lives off the coast of Florida. That turtle is getting a free ride back to his home state before being released. True story!

We didn't get the dusting of snow that was forecast. Just more cold - down to 17 F tomorrow night.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Freezin' my buns off....it's minus one right now...
    Sick of it!!!

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

I'm frozen down here! Schools closed the last couple of days because of the wind chill and temps....I'll never be warm again!! We are suppose to go below 0 tonight and tomorrow night...it's been 15 years since we've done that. Forties and fifties next week...my kind of winter for sure!! OY! Bring on the heat and humidity....might have to room with May and RR over the winter if this keeps up. I thought about our pals in Florida too but they are on the chilly side too!

David

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

I'm going to remind you of this when you're sweltering this summer, David! :D

I'm not sure what's going on here. The low tonight will be 30. I'm used to that as the high this time of year. Tomorrow it's supposed to get to 53 with rain. If it weren't for the rain part, I'd open some windows and air the place out. DH is just thrilled to be where the temps are on the plus side of the mercury, even if it is in the teens.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Renee, you lucky duck! I'd take 53 even with the rain right now! It is -18 here again.

Supposed to climb back into the 20s and 30s above by mid-week. I can't wait!

Linda

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

You know its cold when Florida gets snow flurry predictions and iguanas fall out of trees. What's next, h*ell freezing over? Oy!

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

Linda, try this and let us know the outcome. I like the bubbles part best.

George and Leone are both in their 80's and live in Nebraska.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabin Fever or young at heart?

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

You are right Peppi, snow 3 hours south of me today.

How sweet -- George and Leona.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG, that is too funny! It's only -4 here, now but you can bet your sweet bippy that I am going to give this a try in the morning! LOL

I'll report back. Who knows, maybe even with photos!

Linda

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

linda, honey, if I could ship it to you, I would. I can take some cold a lot better than I can tolerate the heat come summer.

I think I'd like George and Leone!

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

Today it didn't get in the 50's here in Lakeland. Right now it is 31 degrees and will be even colder in the morning when I go out on my am crossing duty.

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Bean, I'm one of the few that loves the summer heat. The humidity gets to me once we go over 90...LOL!

We made it up to 39 or 40 late this afternoon...50's and rain by weeks end. Hopefully the rest of this snow will be gone for good!

David

• riverrat1
    14 years ago

Broken frozen pipes, broken frozen sprinkler system and old deep well has a broken valve...Oh how I love the freezing weather...

Seriously, we have not had water or a hot shower in 2 days...off to DD's tomorrow for a nice hot bath! I really do love the winter and can't stand the summer for our humidity.

Don't come to our house...we stink! LOL!

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Oh Karen, that whole situation stinks! My fountian and bird bath are solid ice. We were down to 25 last night and I was afraid we would experience the same--since we are not versed on how to avoid such things.

DH's students don't have winter clothing; we went to SA to get some things for them but the store was sold out of every winter item. DH has lots of his college coaching windbreakers, jackets, and sweats so he took those. Too bad for them that they would rather be cold than uncool.

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

Karen, you little stinker.....

We are getting a heat wave..38 by Friday.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep. Our cold snap has finally broken, as well. Got up into the low 30's today! Yay!

Warmer tomorrow, they say. But rest assured, it ain't over yet... This is just a little teaser.

Linda

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I want a pub! In Britian all the poor folks go down to the pub when it gets cold--they have heat there, and they don't mind if you stay a good long while and don't break the bank. I can't work at home because I get upset looking at all the household tasks I am behind on, and I have to pay to heat my house during the day. But it is freezing at work due to the college being devoid of students right now, so they are cutting down on heat I imagine to save money. I wish I could take my laptop and hang out at a nice warm pub and order me up a chip butty or whatever they are called, the delicious British delicacy of french fries on buttered toast with a side of ketchup! Then when I need a pick me up, some tea with whiskey. And then maybe I could write the next big novel and be rich like JK Rowlings.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

LOL, L, so you only need a cup of tea, some whiskey and some fries to write that novel? So whatcha waiting for?

Heat wave here too, it's supposed to be 35 by the weekend. Doesn't fool me, this is what Grandpa used to call a "January thaw", happens, well, every January pretty much!

RR, sorry about all those frozen pipes and stuff, that pretty much...um....stinks.

Annie

• momj47
    14 years ago

Well, the cold snap in the mid-Atlantic is coming to an end, but our offices, which have been like an oven all week, are now freezing. Seems they ran out of oil last night, so today we are all going around with our winter jackets on! Go figure.

Fortunately, we have a four day weekend (furlough and MLK), that should be enough time to pay the oil bill and get a full tank. Hopefully, by Tuesday we'll be warm again.

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

It's 42 and melting. Amen.

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

We finally warmed up to over 70 yesterday. I was in short sleeves out on my crossing duty .

• lindac
    14 years ago

Warm here too.....25......and that's above zero.

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

We are having rain right now. I bet Mustangs has had the rain since before 9pm tonight.

• shaun
    14 years ago

Raining here. Had my a/c on yesterday afternoon and turned it off last night. I might have to put it back on today.

• diana55
    14 years ago

I live in Coquitlam British Columbia Canada, and our weather has been mild. It was about 50 degrees yesterday. My flowers and Garlic are sticking their heads out of the ground. Not good for the "Winter Olympics" though !!! They need snow !!! Diana55

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

I'm with you Shaun. Back to t-shirts, flip flops, and AC. I did enjoy the cold weather but then ours wasn't as brutal compaired to others. I can't fathom what our electric bill will be.

• partst
    14 years ago

Who say it never rains in California we are getting hammered. Heavy rain yesterday and today and they say tomorrow will be worse. DD just called and they have tornado warnings for L.A and Orange County. ItÂs cold, windy, wet with thunder and lightning and looks like it will be this way for the next week. Looking for 12 to 15 feet of snow in the high mountains and thatÂs a good thing we need the water.

Claudia

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

We had snow yesterday and more expected every day for the next week or so. I just hope it stays below freezing so it doesn't turn into one big ice rink! If this morning is any indication (was in the high 30s, but has been dropping), it's going to be an icy mess.