Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Happy girl!

Posted by party_music50 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 9:45

I'm so excited that I have to tell someone! lol! I've finally *mastered* weaving with 4-ply waxed linen! I'm working on a new basket and even I cannot find where I did the joins. :)

Just quick pics, but you can also see what it looks like to weave with this stuff:

Now I need to work on weaving my willow!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Happy girl!

Wow, I'd be thrilled if I could do that! You must have very nimble fingers. A girl could go cross eyed working on that :-)

o

Wow. I just took a basket weaving class and, after weaving a simple berry basket with a wooden handle, I can appreciate how much skill that takes. I want to learn to do pine needle baskets. Free materials, hehe.

Please post a pic of the finished product!

o

colleenz, I'd say my fingers are very nimble... and somewhat abused. lol! Having small hands and fingers helps! And, yes, the work is very hard on the eyes. But I taught myself, so it is do-able if you work on it.

katiec, if you really want to learn pine needle basketry, the best book is Judy Mallow's "Pine Needle Basketry". Might be a long long while before this basket gets finished, but I'll post a pic when it's done. :)

o

haha. I have that book in my library. Nice to know it's a good one.

Yeah, my fingernails, which weren't in great shape anyway, were trashed by then end of the class.

I made a few baskets 20+ years ago, bought a bunch of reed and chair caning stuff and then inherited 18 3rd grade Girl Scouts. My craft stuff went into storage. "Someday" I'll dig it all back out.

o

Wow. I have small hands and fingers and even smaller amounts of patience. I'll love to see that basket when it's finished!

Annie

o

it looks amazing, I'm in awe at the intricacy of skill it takes.

o

Thanks, mitchdesj. :)

Annie, I just realized that making these little waxed linen baskets is like doodling in 3-dimensions for me. I got a few more rows done since the pics were taken, but this basket won't be done until sometime in March, or later. :p

o

See, that's what I mean by patience. I'd forget about it by Valentine's Day and be on to something else and have a half finished basket staring at me for months so I'd feel guilty about never finishing it. I like projects I can finish in a couple of hours, not a couple of months!

I'm telling you, no patience at all.....

Annie

o

Wow, like Mitch, I'm in awe.

I can't wait to see the finished basket.

~Ann

o

Awesome! I can weave with reed, but nothing like that. Give me simple berry type baskets, square, round, or rectangular, but no pine needle and no waxed linen! I can't wait to see it finished!

Tami

o

It is almost done and I'm so thrilled... the lid fits perfectly and I just need to clip the 112 spoke ends and check the shaping...

Quick pic taken with my ipad :)

This post was edited by party_music50 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 7:21

o

Wow, what a masterpiece. Has it taken you since January to finish it? If so, you have patience. I just love the colors and the cute lid.

o

Thank you dedtired! Yes, I've been working hard on it right along and took the pic as soon as I got this far. I haven't clipped the ends yet -- my eyes need to rest!!! :p

o

That is awesome! Totally freakin' cool

o

haha! Thanks rob333! that's what I was thinking. ;^) I am planning to enter it in the state fair.... :o)

This post was edited by party_music50 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 7:23

o

Darn, the photo is missing!

o

yes, it's missing for me too.

Annie

o

Sorry!!! I have decided to enter it in the NYS Fair and have therefore removed the photo and won't show it again until after the fair results are in! I hope you all understand... I showed an early photo of one of my entries last year and it totally jinxed me -- they screwed up with the entry at the Fair and then to attempt to correct their mistake they entered it in the wrong division and I was heartbroken. :(

It's really a beautiful basket and I promise I will show it -- but not until August! :p

o

Basket weaving is a very well established art form.

Google Image "Basket art", Fascinating !

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here