SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulines_gw

Another broken heart

paulines
13 years ago

I know I don't post here as much as I used to, but I hope everyone will indulge me. I really need to talk out loud.

Sunday night our beloved doxie, Brandi, passed away in her dad's arms. She would have been 14 yesterday.

It was bitter cold here with a whipping wind and she wasn't happy when we walked her that day. Sunday evening DH took her out, she pished and then made a beeline to come back in. She evidently took a few steps in the hall, collasped, got up and took another few steps and then went down. DH picked her up and brought her into the LR, but she was totally unresponsive and her breathing was shallow.

As I was on the phone with the ER staff, she passed- quickly and seemingly painlessly, thank G-D.

DH and I are beating ourselves up, wondering if we should have just let her go to the bathroom in the house. She had many medical issues, including a somewhat similar episode a couple weeks ago, and I keep feeling that bringing her outside in the frigid, windy air, killed her.

She was my best friend, a gentle soul and a little clown. Earlier that day, I caught her trying to sneak gum out of DH's sweatshirt pocket and she sat on the couch with us munching crackers - she loved her food, lol and she loved to sleep between us with her head on a pillow and the blankets up to her chin. There wasn't a day that went by in the last 14 years that our Brandi didn't make us laugh and feel that we were the most special people in the world.

We're just so very sad and I don't see ever being able to be happy again.

Comments (33)