SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Need Advice: Alcoholic Friend

John Liu
9 years ago

Guys and gals, I need your advice about an alcoholic friend.

Quick summary: a friend of ours contacted us a couple months ago. He said he'd been in rehab for alcoholism. Lost his apartment and job. Needed a room for a little while. We let him move into our spare room. He got a job at Nordstrom. Seemed to be doing well. Working hard, was successful at sales. Was very open about his struggles. He is a very good guy and was a pleasure to have around. We figured he could stay with us for a few months, until he'd saved some money and found a room to rent. We left for California on Dec 23. He was staying in our house, taking care of our cats. I texted him a couple times, all seemed fine. He said he'd spent Christmas with his ex-partner and their son, cats were fine. We arrived home tonight Jan 2 at midnight. Kitchen was littered with empty wine bottles. He'd been on a bender. He came downstairs, seemed kind of stunned. I got him a glass of water, took him back upstairs to his room. He said he'd been drinking for days. Didn't know how long. Wasn't sure when he'd last been to work. His dog, who had been living with his ex-partner, was here. I told him to go to bed and cleaned up the kitchen. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I'm thinking in the morning he needs to figure out if he still has a job, whether he can go back to rehab. I have to figure out if he can still stay here. I'm fine with helping a recovered alcoholic get back on his feet. I'm not willing to have a non recovered alcoholic living here. I don't, however, want to put him out on the street. I'm not sure he has anywhere else to go. I'm not going to have a dog here, even if it is a nice little pug.

What should I do? What would you do?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022