Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu

Posted by joann23456 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 23:52

A few months back, my laptop (Lenovo SL410) hard drive died. I replaced it with a SanDisk solid state hard drive. I have the recovery discs and tried to reinstall Windows 7 HP 64 bit, but something went wrong and the installation hung during the second dis, where the drivers are.

I needed to be able to use it right away, so I loaded a Linux OS, Ubuntu 12.04. Works fine and very fast and I like it, but I'd rather install Windows on the HD and run Ubuntu from a flash drive.

So I tried reinstalling Windows, both with the disks I have and with an official ISO from the Microsoft site. It's not working, and I'm not sure why. Do I need to format the HD? (I thought the Windows installation CD did that?) do I need to download a driver for the hard drive? (It's a SATA drive, same as the old one.)

Any ideas for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu

Before you install windows you need to look in bios and make sure drive is set to AHCi ...or Raid. Or windows probably wont complete the install on a solid state drive.

o

Did thatad already. It's set to ACHi. I read that somewhere.

o

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 10:34

Probably need to make your Ubuntu bootable flash drive then do the Custom Install of win7 which will give you the clean the disk/format 1 large partion. After the install you can use the win7 disk manager to make any other partitions you might want.
Win7 wants to be the first installed partitions. Usually it will automatically make a small hidden unlettered boot partition then C drive. If by chance it gives an option for sizes on the hidden boot partition, 100mb is default but kind of small if you have problems down the road.. 200 or 300mb is the size lenovo seems to like to make them.

Its pretty easy to download Lenovo drivers.. just make sure for win7.. support.lenovo.com . Be nice to have those on hand incase your Lenovo has a special something that the win7 dvd doesn't have a generic for. It might ask you to insert driver disc !!

This post was edited by mikie on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 10:37

o

I was told when I needed the HD replaced the recovery disks would not work with the new HD. I don't know if that was true or not I replaced my PC instead.

o

That's strange. The reason for making recovery discs is that you need them if the hard drive fails so that you can't use the recovery partition. It's easier to use the recovery partition if you can.

o

I was told when I needed the HD replaced the recovery disks would not work with the new HD. I don't know if that was true or not I replaced my PC instead.

Not true, as Bob notes the whole point of making recovery disks is to be able to re-install after any catastrophic failure like a hard drive failing.

In fact if you do not have those disks you can use any other Windows disks of the same version as long as you enter the 25 digit code stuck to the outside of the case. The only problem then becomes getting the relevant drivers, not impossible but at times not an easy task.

o

owbist, thanks for the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here