SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

More help with win8, browsers and google stuff

chas045
10 years ago

Boy, win 8 is a royal pita. I do see that it is probably connecting various devices without intervention which will be neat if it really works. As you could see from my other two posts on phone contact transfer and new hp netbook, I am having a slow start and having difficulty finding out how things work.

For example, I have no idea what version of Explorer I am using or how to change settings. There don't seem to be any way to do or find anything. I will try downloading firefox which I am using on my desktop, but I need to know how to find info and control programs. I thought it would be easier to have Google as a start page but even going to google and clicking an action there to make it the start page didn't do it. Aside from some comfort with google; I am finally attempting to reset my google account that had been inactive since I set it up 5 years ago because months later I couldn't remember my password or login name. I got lucky (or things have improved at google) and was able to reset my password. I was planning to set up a Gmail act. (I didn't set up gmail originally) for general actions other than normal mail, but again, even on google, I haven't seemed to be able to set up the gmail section and would probably enjoy other tools too. I have reset my google password and can login, but it gets me nowhere interesting. If I try setting up a new gmail act it assumes I don't have an account.

Can anyone tell me where to find program control and info with this new stuff? Do you have the incantations to have google let me use google? On explorer, or perhaps it is win8, I seem to have tabs; one is an explorer window and an amazon window and an msn window but I can't seem to close them (without closing all).

Comments (3)