SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Just installed a second hard drive. Now what do I do?

lynnalexandra
14 years ago

I just upgraded a few things on my computer. I added a second hard drive (1.5 TB) and a firewire port. I think I did everything correctly. At least the computer is working. I switched my sata connection so that the second hard drive went into one of the two sata ports that Dell recommended (the original hard drive is in the other port). This meant switching my dvd drive's sata to the unused sata port. When I powered up my computer, it said it recognized a new dvd drive (I assume bc. I changed it to another sata port), an additional hard drive and a firewire port(card?).

Anyway - now that I have a second hard drive, I don't know what to do. Do I have to format it? Partition it? If so, how and why?

My computer is a Dell inspiron 530 - WindowsXP sp2, 3 GB Ram, quad core processor, original 500 GB hard drive, second internal NEW 1.5 TB hard drive, external 640GB hard drive. My original drive is getting filled up with videos. I have about 65 GB of free space. So I figured I should move a lot of my videos to my other internal drive. Otherwise, I maybe 1/3 of my hard drive carries all my software, some photos, a little music, some word documents and emails.

I'm not sure how to divvy up the space. I figure I should back up my software (but I don't know how). Are there simply programs to back up (to either other internal drive or external drive)?

I'm also unsure of how it will work if I want to edit photos or videos that are not stored on the original drive - using software that is on the original drive. Do I have to have a copy of those software programs running on the same drive as the data/jpeg/mpeg files? Will having the pictures,music or videos on another drive slow down my access to them - for either editing, transferring back to my Tivo, loading onto my Ipod?

I know I'm asking a lot. So any initial pointers or advice is welcome.

Thank you.

Lynn.

PS - now that I have all this additional space, is there any reason to consider getting Windows 7? Will it just complicate my life to use that operating system with so many other programs and files that were created with XP? Are there enough of challenge to switching operating systems that I should avoid it if I'm relatively pleased with XP? I bought my computer less than 2 years ago so I don't anticipate getting a new one for a while.

Comments (5)