SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Help for old dell inspiron8200

chas045
11 years ago

I had an old dell 8200 laptop that died on me and I got another one on ebay. I am using it now. The seller warned me that it was running but the hard drive was password protected. I swapped out the hard drive (and one meg memory) after finding that my minimal skills were unable to unlock the passwords. When it booted up, it said that the video controller (and network controller and PCI Modem) were new (different I suppose) but that windows couldn't find the drivers. At first, I assumed it was because I wasn't yet on line with my Netgear card, but I got myself on line and windows would almost immediately say it didn't recognize the controllers anyway. Therefore the drivers are not installed (yellowed out in the controller section) and all my video looks like Safe Mode. I am typing in what appears to be 14-16 point here. Editing here: I found I could change the pixel size and get things to fit on the screen.
This is win xp pro sp3. 1gb memory 2GHz. Can you tell me what to do from this point?

This post was edited by chas045 on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 22:05

Comment (1)