SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Help with cell phone reception??

chas045
10 years ago

Sorry: this isn't a computer question but you are the folks I think might know something about this. We are out in the country but at least have decent DSL. However, our cell phone signal is weak to none at home. Fortunately, our cell phone needs at home are not necessary. We are in our 60's and have a good deal thru Consumer Cellular: essentially $40/month for two cell phones and shared 700 minutes (and some data that we aren't really using with old basic phones). Consumer Cellular uses ATT towers. We used to have Verizon, that Was totally no signal, but recent visitors now have decent coverage in our house. However Verizon is still a lot more expensive.

So: my wife is getting tired of her old phone. She would like to have an i-phone or at least a smart phone. Obviously she doesn't really need it and won't use it nearly to capacity, but it would be cool (if it worked). A couple months ago I was talking to a Consumer Cellular rep. and she said that newer phones than our old (2 years plus probably old models then) Moto. Razor phones now have better reception. I believe the theory might have been that companies are upgrading 3 or 4G service rather than the 2G of the old razors.

Does anyone know if the newer phones receive better? Consumer cellular apparently has some refurbashed i-phone 3's that might be about our speed (and expense) rather than the latest thing that would be too much for C. Cellular anyway (they cater specifically to old folks like us).

Comments (8)