SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arkie62

Desktop problen

arkie62
12 years ago

Any idea of what's causing the cover-up of the programs icon on my desktop? I've run Malwarebytes, and Avast,restored as far back as it will let me and done most everything I found in a Google search. Nothing seams to work.

Thanks,

Comments (15)

• zep516
    12 years ago

paint shop pro.exe is used by 'Paint Shop Pro 8'. Do you use that program?

• arkie62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

YES, BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE QUESTION. Sorry, wasn't really shouting, just hit the cap lock. The problem is that the white desktop looking icon is covering up the program initialized icon. The program has nothing to do with the problem.

• zep516
    12 years ago

I don't know it's kind of weird. Can you drag the Icon Left click on the icon and hold and move the mouse..

• owbist
    12 years ago

Try right clicking on the desktop, then hover over 'Sort by' then selecting a different layout of the icons to see if that does the trick. It is easy to switch back after investigating the problem.

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

maybe Right Click & choose Properties
    of your psp there. Then copy paste the shortcut Target path here.

Or just print screen and post a link to the whole properties window here.

example below....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://prntscr.com/4erib

• arkie62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tried both suggestions with no results. I can left click (hold down) and drag it all over the desktop, but the overlay is still on top. I can pin the shortcut to the taskbar and only the program icon shows. In the 20 years I've been messing around with computers (Commador 64), this is about as weird as anything I've encountered. I'll keep researching this, but if any of you come up with more ideas I'de be more than happy to try anything.
    Thanks

• arkie62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's what I got mikie. Don't know how this may help, but I'm up for anything at this point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Properties

• DA_Mccoy
    12 years ago

How about deleting the icon(s) and creating a new one from the START menu? Deleting the icon(s) and creating a new one directly from the .exe file in the Program Folder?

On the Properties tab , did you try to change the icon? And then perhaps change it back?

DA

• mikie_gw
    12 years ago

I'd hoped to see the beginning of the path. allthingB4 \Progam Files\etc.. to see if something starts directly before \Program Files\...

• arkie62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry mikie, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Jasc Software Inc\Paint Shop Pro 8\Paint Shop Pro.exe" that's all there is.

dmccoy, the image in the first post is the result of what you suggest. I was sure hoping that would work too.

I spent about two hours last night following various leads, all to no avail. Gonna' start over this morning. If/when I find a solution, you dear friends will be the second to know. :-)

• DA_Mccoy
    12 years ago

What O/S are you using? I did a basic Google search using the keywords "corrupt desktop icon" (sans quotes). A quick review of the responses shows numerous results for W7. Regardless of your O/S this might be an additional approach.

DA

• zep516
    12 years ago

Also you might try uninstalling the program and reinstall it from the link provided,

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint-Shop-Pro

• arkie62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dmccoy, W7 Ultimate and I'll try that search and see if it comes up with anything new.

zep16, thanks, but it has nothing to do with Paintshop Pro, that just happened to be the program I was creating a desktop shortcut for. It does the same icon overlay thing on any shortcut I create.

• arkie62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Don't really know how the problem got solved any more than I know how it started. I fired up an old program I had forgotten I had (Yamicsoft Windows7 Manager) , ran a couple of cleanup apps with it, re-booted, and everything was back to normal. Ahh, computers...

Thanks again for all the suggestions and opinions. I can always depend on this group for good ideas.

By the way, for those of you that haven't reached it yet, senility isn't as much fun as I had hoped for. :-)

• mxyplx
    12 years ago

>>By the way, for those of you that haven't reached it yet, senility isn't as much fun as I had hoped for. :-)Ah, but it just might provide blessed relief from all problems. :-)