SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

New HP ENVY TouchSmart Notebook questions

chas045
10 years ago

I am (was) an old xp user. but my well loaded laptop died. I had been thinking I might find someone's laptop and see if it was just a video card or perhaps just the system portion of the hard drive and I could recover some nice programs. However, while I dithered, my wife bought me a nice modern Win 8 HP ENVY TouchSmart Notebook. Just before I started typing, I realized it was called a Notebook which explains why it doesn't have a DVD drive.

SO: my first question is, how do modern folks work without a dvd. Is massive cloud storage available for passing data and video stuff somehow? Does everyone carry massive memory sticks? Or do they just buy an external DVD drive for when needed? Could I hook the notebook to the desktop and burn that way easy? As another presumed burn need; I had been attempting to clean up some old lp's to create cleaner cd versions.

Second: I Keep my e-mail on my desktop and I had never attempted setting up to read email on my old laptop. I usually had email set to delete from the server after it was read. On the other hand, the wife's mail stays on the server so she can pick mail from her i-pad and she just got an android type smart phone too. We occasionally dump those server files when nearly full. I guess my new notebook needs my email account before it can even give me tutorials. It warns me that it can't work with the old POP3 approach. I guess I need to call earthlink and ask them to switch things. Do you all have suggestions before I chat with earthlink?

I can imagine that one of your responses might have something to do with cloud cantact information so I will mention that I will put another post up about how to move cell phone contacts. If you could help with that would you be kind enough to look at the other post?

Comments (4)