Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
converting html to pdf

Posted by mlou_51 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 19:28

I have lots of ebooks in the html format. What's the best (and hopefully cheapest) way to convert them to a pdf so they can be read on the PDN? I've been saving ebooks since 2005 so I have alot. Mixed bag of htmls and pdfs. thanks, Mlou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: converting html to pdf

it would be best to convert them to epub rather than pdf and the best free program that will do all of that kind of stuff and so much more is Calibre
http://calibre-ebook.com/

amazing program and free!

Here is a link that might be useful: calibre

o

I tried converting html into pdfs using trial version of Adobe Online PDF Converter. I had no problem converting them, but when I tried downloading them, it gave me "unsupported format". However, any pdfs I purchased at Fictionwise etc downloaded with no problem. I did try the Calibre last night but it seems a bit more complicated.

o

Could you just use a virtual printer and
print the HTML documents to a pdf file?
The one I have been using for years
is linked below.

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: Cute PDF

o

thanks, I'll try the Cute PDF and see if it works. Mlou

o

try googling for calibre tutorials for info on using it, it is an amazing program and made exactly for ebook conversions.

another option is using an online conversion site like
www.zamzar.com it will convert it for you and email it back to you in your desired format free

o

I gave Cablibre another try and managed to do 4 books! For some reason, one came out in OPF format even though I was trying for epub. I redid it and it came out in epub but the PDN says won't accept it. The others did fine, same publisher (New Concept Publishing). Don't know why it won't accept the book. Also my boing may be connected to email. Does anyone else have a noise to notify them when they get email? Mlou

o

I have not noticed a sound but if it is not very loud I may not hear it since I don't hear real great anymore. Mine does show up at the top bar where the little envelope is it flips up and says new email beside the little envelope on the left.

o

I have a great email sound but I keep my speakers turned off.

Hope I embedded that correctly.

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: Download wav file here.

o

I too downloaded Calibre for the conversion but did not use it. Was I very surprised when I did a file search and found an excessive number of Calibre files on my computer. I removed them. Gotta be a better way. If i need a conversion process I will look next time before I leap.

o

You can open HTML pages in google CHROME & print them to PDF/file. Quick & Easy.

o

There is a huge amount of free e-book material available on the WWW. File types range from epub to zip and everything between. I use the features available in CALIBRE to convert to an epub file (Nook Color), download the metadata and select the best cover, view the book and then if all ok download it to my Nook.

Calibre can add books to my Nook or delete books from it. I usually have only 4 books on the Nook and the rest stored on my PC or on DVD's; about 8 gigabytes of books, i.e. thousands of books.

For me CALIBRE is an essential program.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here