Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't seem to update superantispyware free!

Posted by terrapots (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 19:20

I've been using super antispyware free for a while now and updated it but it apparently was a "trial" paid version. Now I can't update the free version. Do I have to uninstall it and start over again. I think this happened before as I couldn't update it before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't seem to update superantispyware free!

What's the error you get when to try to up-date?

You could try just downloading the up-dates manually from the link provided, that may fix everything. If not then do the un-install / reinstall of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Latest definitions for SuperAntispyware

o

Thanks for your reply. It wants money. I'll probably just delete and download the free version. I may just buy it, it sounds like it's worth it.

o

Yes, delete the trial version. If you are a user of REVO use it at the Advanced setting to do so. As you go through the process allow REVO to remove anything it reports still finding after the SAS uninstaller. If you are a user of CCleaner, run the registry tool. Only delete reported entries having to do with SAS.

Reinstall SAS slowly reading each screen. Be sure to update the defintiion file.

When you are done everything will be fine. Honest.

DA

o

Thanks for the suggested routine. I'll use REVO to get all of SAS out and reinstall. That seems reasonable.

o

It is reasonable. Let us know if you're successful!

Joe

o

So, if no body pays, what keeps the anti virus working and effective? I think I have or had it on one or more of my computers, I'll have to check. I think I may have fallen away because of the same problem: don't want to pay for it or anything else, LOL
- Happy New Year).

o

i have found that anti virus ware does not work well. I have had but few real threats but perhaps as many as 150 adware items per day onto my computer after visiting websites. Have tried numerous malware softwares but not one prevents the adware. when I click onto a site with FF, Opera, or Windows Explorer, I can see the stream of ads (at the bottom of the screen with with FF) following with the "legitimate" (news) websites. I think those websites are getting paid by advertisers to stream the junk onto my computer.

o

Fruitjar I would suggest you might unintentionally be doing something that actively encourages this spam. I do not get any and that is not because I am that bright. My only protection is Microsoft Security Essentials (listed by MS themselves as not the best out there, I'll change one day) and Malwarebytes that rarely gets used.

I do run Adblock plus and WOT besides MSE but that is it.

o

Thanks, Owbist. Will try Adblock again and have added WOT (first time). MSE was a failure in blocking ads.

o

Virus programs and other malware programs do not have as their purpose the blocking of ads. Ads, in and of themselves, are not malware. But Adblock does do a good job of blocking most ads because that is its purpose.

o

If you are still having issues with this why not abandon Superantispyware and give the free Malwarebytes a whirl and save the hassle.

o

Sorry to string this out but.......
WOT does not stop adware, nor does Adblock. Google promotes adware and has created its own "industry" associated with companies that Google earns $$ from tracking us. Here is an example of one adware item that I picked up this morning. Browse this one: taboola_user_id That is an illustration of many companies who are tracking us -- some with tracking advertised to go for a period of 10 years. I suppose this is not new to some but when all of this stuff starts slowing down my computer, it is not welcome. My rant for the day.

o

Yes, I frequently get adds about stuff I've looked at on the web, usually Amazon. I use Firefox and when browsing I often see advertisements of the items I looked at. Some from Amazon, some for others that I have not visited directly.

On a couple of occassions these pop-up adds have offered sale prices sufficient for me to decide to order : ) while the most are not given much attention. If these slow down my computer I'd be surprised. If the background processes collecting my browsing history do, I am not happy with that or even with the collection of data.

How simple life was when memory storage was higher cost, much higher cost.

o

This seems so strange to me as I never see pop-up ads of any sort using Chrome browser and AdBlock. Believe me, I browse Amazon frequently and buy sometimes. I also do frequent searches using Google, and I just do not see ads. No, I'm not blind, either!

o

I see no ads with Firefox and Adblock plus - apart from the ones recently appearing here on Gardenweb down the right side which I simply ignore.

o

Looking down the right side here I see ads for Hills Z/D Prescription Dog Food. Now that is not something that gets mass marketing - I use that on my dog which has problems with protein allergies. I have also checked the price for that product on the web. I have purchased only from out veterinary. I will bet none of you see that ad. Of course, if you buy or otherwise access that product on the web you are counted in for the same reason I get the ad.

o

I use Firefox and Adblock Plus (as well as Adblock Plus's Pop-up add-on) and see no ads, period -- not here, not anywhere. On this page, at the upper right, I see only the three featured GW threads at the top (with photos) and the ten GW threads with recent posts (without photos).

I use Startpage for most searches (it uses Google search without the tracking). On the rare occasions when I search via Google, I see the Google ads above and below the search results (pretending to be legitimate search results). Those Google ads don't appear on Startpage ... though Startpage has its own search-related ads.

o

"On the rare occasions when I search via Google, I see the Google ads above and below the search results (pretending to be legitimate search results)."

If you un-check "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" in your Adblock Plus filter preferences, those ads vanish.

Also, for anyone bothered by the new stuff on the right, and the blank rectangle at the top, the element hiding rules posted here still work.

o

Adware that observes the computer user's activities without their consent and reports it to the software's author is called spyware. Popups are one form of adware -- that the user can see. Adware in the form of spyware is loaded onto a computer when visiting a website and is virtually unknown to the user. This latter form of adware/malware can be seen on your computer after running stuff like Superantispyware or Spyhunter.

o

Fruitjar Spyhunter seems to have too much bad press to even bother considering using. Wilder Security has a very interesting thread on the subject, Googling Spyhunter I find WOT red flags it too so.........

o

I downloaded Superantivirus last night and installed it.

I was surprised to find I didn't have a copy already on this computer - the logo is very familiar. I think it was removed by Super... when my "free" status expired. Not sure, but I have a new copy plus a copy of CHROME. I didn't specifically ask for it, it was a hitch hiker on Super I think. Wonder if I should uninstall CHROME or just let it set for possible future use. I have no plan at present to stop using Firefox and I already have Explorer, so a third browser seems overkill, if not overloading.

o

Jerry you have to closely watch every screen during an install of freeware these days for fear of loading something you did not plan for.

Browsers do not use any resources when not in use so it becomes just a personal choice whether to keep or remove Chrome.

o

Doing research for latest protection for a new Win8 OS brought me to this thread, most of it I think i understand, but what is WOT?

o

Spyware software:

https://www.mywot.com/en/online-threats/spyware

o

Doing research for latest protection for a new Win8 OS brought me to this thread, most of it I think i understand, but what is WOT?

o

Thank you for the link Jerry.

Ooops, look like I posted my query twice......grrrrrr, I can't seem to get even the simple task right today ;(

o

I think WOT has more to do with a site's trustworthiness (mostly?) as reported by other WOT users?

I find it especially useful when searching for info. I mean when I get a whole page of search results, sites I know nothing about, I look down the list, and I see "Green lights", "Yellow lights", and "Red lights". I get some sort of clue as to which are safe to follow though on, and which I should probably avoid.

I usually take time to rate and review as "Questionable" any site that I find spamming it's product, spyware or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: WOT videos.

o

WOT is an advisory. Nothing more. I use it just like CG. A tool for reference into a new area.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here