Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Win Patrol 2012

Posted by esteban_2009 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 29, 11 at 18:23

Folks I just received a e-mail from the folks at Win Patrol letting me know of their new WP 2012, I downloaded and when I began to install it, my AVG covered the screen with warnings. I clicked quaranteen and decided to see if anyone else had this problem.
X-P, SP-3 OE-6.
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Win Patrol 2012

i just installed it over itself no screaming of Microsoft Security Essentials. I did install it from the web at WinPatrol website.

Just now ran Malwarebytes on its install folder... shows nothing bad.

o

I downloaded and installed it with no security warnings.I also use Microsoft Security Elements.

o

This just in from Windows Club:
WinPatrol StartUp:

I've heard from Bill and he is fixing the autorun option in the installer so later updaters will not have the same issue.

AVG False/Positive:

When installing WinPatrol 2012, AVG may detect WinPatrolEx.exe as an unknown virus called "Win32/DH.FF930004". This is a false/positive and has been reported to AVG.

WinPatrolEx.exe is WinPatrol Explorer, the main tabbed interface of WinPatrol.

If in doubt, scan the file at Virus Total: VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner

Steve

o

Would someone who has the new version installed please check the "About" to see specifically what version identifier they have. I'm finding both v24.0.2012 and v24.0.2012.1 available. Perhaps the fix has been completed.

As an AVG user I don't want to rush into the upgrade until the conflict is resolved.

DA

o

WinPatrol [FREE Edition] version 24.0.2012.1:24.0.2012.1

There you go DA, that was installed on the evening of the 29th.

o

Well..... WinPatrol 24.0.2012.0

Posted 20 hours 14 min ago

I installed it about then

Maybe he revised the .1 to be happy with AVG

o

just checked for undates...

Current WinPatrol version is :

24.0.2012.1:24.0.2012.1

Your version is :

24.0.2012.0:24.0.2012.0

o

I just downloaded and installed v2012.1 from Filehippo. My AVG didn't even blink so I guess the newer version is the way to go.

DA

o

we have a winpatrol forum on LzD and this is from there
AVG False/Positive

also there was a problem with auto start not starting at boot up but from Bills twitter and also on our LzD site this info.
Thanks to everyone for their quick feedback. "Automatically run WinPatrol when computer starts" has been corrected in new installer.

You can always check that LzD winpatrol forum for info.

Bill P also keeps updated info on his blog
http://www.billp.com/
Home Page

o

There was a small AVG update this afternoon. Virus database version 2109/4712 is reported to have been released December 30, 2011, at 2:34 a.m. I received it at 12:44 p.m. this afternoon well after my traditionally scheduled update at 6:00 a.m. this morning. This may have been the conflict remedy. Or maybe not.

DA

o

Thanks for all the great help.
I updated AVG and re-installed WinPatrol with no problem.
Hope all of you have a great New Year.
Steve

o

Bill P. is the greatest! Almost a year ago I had upgraded to Win Patrol Plus. I just finished completely restoring my XP computer, but did not have all programs saved. So I downloaded the latest free version and then tried to put in my name and registration number. It would not take, but I noticed an e-mail address given at the bottom of the site for help. I wrote and received a reply in a couple of hours. Seems I was putting a period after my middle initial, and that was the problem. Now I have the latest version of Plus duly registered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here