Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you mean, not enough free space?

Posted by debi_2006 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 16:33

I have a 1TB external Seagate, plug & play. My Asus hard drive is 750GB. I figured 1TB would be plenty to make a system image.

So, when I tried I got this message:
Not enought disk space to create the volume shadow on the storage location. Make sure that for all volumes to be backed up, the min required disk space for shadow copy creation is available. This applies to both the backup storage destination and volumes included in the backup. Min requirment: For volume less than 500 megabytes, the min is 50 meg free space. For volume more than 500 megabytes, the min is 320 megabyes free space. Recommended: At least 1 gig free space on each volume if volume size is more that 1 gig.

The auto image backup (Win8) wanted to backup 3 drives (I could not select what I wanted)
1) C drive
2) EFI sys partition
3) Recovery

It indicated that backup could take 61 GB disk space.

Any idea why all this won't fit on a hard drive much larger than my computer drive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you mean, not enough free space?

A lot of people have the same error / message. I don't have an answer other then use a third party back up tool instead of Windows.

Go ahead an Google Not enough disk space to create the volume shadow on the storage location.

Here's one thread on the matter.

Here is a link that might be useful: not-enough-room-create-system-image-but-there

o

EaseUS ToDo free ... faster than windows, smaller backups too. Only maybe main 3 scenario's.. so pretty easy for most to figure out.

Right now on win8 I'm using windows 7 backup for folders and EaseUS for sys images. EaseUS reimaged win8 once, it seemed fast for me. 53gb windows drive = 20gb image at medium compression. Somewhere slightly more than 10 minutes to reimage.

o

Are these 3rd party backups safe? Are they downloaded programs to my computer or are my system image backup "somewhere out ther"? How do they work? I'm reading up on these but don't understand.

o

Backup and Recovery

Acronis True Image Home 2012

The one above you can try for free, it's a trial version, you download it 215 MB. Why not fool around with it and see how you like it, I'm sure you can put the image on your external drive.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/

Here is a link that might be useful: acronis.com

o

I found Acronis UI rather difficult to navigate, so even though I had purchased it, I use EaseUS ToDo free version just as mikie recommends. It is simple to use, you can back up exactly what you want to, and if you ever have a need to restore, the restoration process is very easy. I had a hard drive die, so when I installed the new one, I used the restore function of EaseUS ToDo to put everything back on the new drive, from the external drive, including operating system. Highly recommend this program.

o

Sounds good to me, I like easy...

o

Thanks for the replies. I was checking out the above recommended, and still have to ask if Easeus is a program I download to my computer to backup or if I'm backing up to a cloud-like place where all my stuff isn't in only my possession? ....while it might be encrypted, will my system image with files, customer info for work, etc be out there for potential hackers? Exactly how does it work? I need to know my info is safe.

o

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 13:29

You won't get cloud backup. Local to your drive, or portable or burn.
They might have a cloud option, I doubt it would be free .. but if youre making a system or drive image.. those are more than a huge uploads and huge downloads too if needed.

This post was edited by mikie on Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 13:31

o

You will download the program to your computer. Then you choose where to put your backups. I use an external hard drive. You can also use DVDs, USB drives, etc. No, as far as I know, there is no cloud storage involved. The program remains on my computer, and when there is an update, I am notified that one is available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here