SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Laptop "can't find server" ??

Rudebekia
10 years ago

Admittedly my laptop is pretty old--5 or 6 years? But it has been a real trooper and works perfectly--except for the fact that increasingly it can't find the wireless server. When I turn it on about 1/2 the time now the wireless button glows orange (no server) versus turning blue. The other half of the time it connects to the internet just fine. If it fails to find it, I can't just right click to connect--in fact, it often tells me it IS connected even though it still can't find the server. I have to shut it off and wait awhile before turning it back on and hope that it connects this time. In addition, if the laptop goes unused for, say, 10 minutes it drops the server connection and can't be reestablished. Once again, I have to shut it down and wait before trying again.

It is not the fault of the server or wireless service as I have a backup computer when the first fails that has never had this issue. It connects instantly and stays connected.

Is this something I can fix? HP Pavillion dv6500 running Vista.
Thanks!

Comments (23)

• zep516
    10 years ago

"It is not the fault of the server or wireless service as I have a backup computer when the first fails that has never had this issue. It connects instantly and stays connected. "

So it's your computer with the issue

The Network adapter is the first thing to try, uninstall it from device manger, reboot, windows will reinstall the adapter for you. Then see how things go.

Here's how.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reinstall-Wireless-Drivers

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply zep. I'll try it and report back.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, zep, I'm working through the instructions you posted. I am at the part where it tells you to uninstall the Network Adapter that has "wireless" in its title. I don't see such a title. Under Network Adapters I have 4 things:

Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
    MAC Bridge Miniport
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #12
    NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Pretty sure it is the first one, right?

Thanks.

This post was edited by marita40 on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 17:17

• zep516
    10 years ago

Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

Right click on that, then choose "Uninstall" reboot the computer and surf around

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

I'd suggest rebooting the router too - keep it unplugged for at least 30 seconds.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Good call,

I agree... If the network adapter reinstall doesn't resolve it do that next...

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now I'm snookered. Did everything right in the uninstall, but the driver did not come back when I clicked Action at the top of Device Manager. Now what?? My wireless device is gone!

• zep516
    10 years ago

Not sure what you did there. Lets do a system restore.

Do that an tell me how things are.

Not going anywhere :)

Here is a link that might be useful: system-restore-vista

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

zep--so bizarre. I did a system restore to a point from two days ago, and the driver did NOT reappear. I did another system restore to a point one day ago, and it still did not reappear. Now what?

Sorry to take your time!

• zep516
    10 years ago

No, I'm sorry. I told you to uninstall it. It's a routine exercise and we should not have had any issues, but it's a machine :)

Lets go get the driver from see link, download it to the desktop, then double click it

This one:
    Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista
    Go to the web page in my link below, select operating system (Vista)

Then scroll down a bit. Look for Network driver this one
    Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista and download it. You will see it on the web page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, stupid question--but how do I download the link you've provided on the computer that can't access the internet? I'm on my backup computer (HP Mini, Windows 7) as I am talking with you here.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Not a stupid question. There's 2 ways to do it.

The first way is to connect the broken computer directly to the router with a Ethernet cable, that way it connects directly without needing wireless.

The other way is:

On the computer you're using now download it to a USB flash drive.

What I do is just download it to the desktop, then drag the file to the USB flashdrive.

Take the flash out and insert it into the broken computer, drag the file to the desktop and double click it.

I'll be here, the tree is all decorated so nothing else to do but help you.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FYI, I also see that there is a HP Backup and Recovery selection on the computer that says it "reinstalls factory shipped software programs and hardware drivers." Worth trying?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

maybe connect the laptop by ethernet cable to the router? I bet the wireless adapter is dead and that's why it's not found and reinstalled.

You can get a replacement wireless adapter that slides into the pcmcia slot (if the laptop has one) or a usb connected external wireless card.

• zep516
    10 years ago

maybe connect the laptop by ethernet cable to the router? I bet the wireless adapter is dead and that's why it's not found and reinstalled.

Right..

Download the driver from the web page

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Progress. I downloaded the driver to the zip drive and got it to the desktop of the broken computer. Double clicking it asks me where to save it. The default is c:\SWSetup\sp41675. Tried that, but don't know where to go next. It still doesn't appear under Network Devices.

• zep516
    10 years ago

c:\SWSetup\sp41675

Go to the "C" drive and look for SWSetup folder, double click it, inside that folder should be sp41675.exe, double click that. or let me know what's in the folder.

• zep516
    10 years ago

sp41675.exe

If you don't see that above in the folder, you simply may just click the setup in the folder.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right clicking on setup brings up the Installshield wizard to install Broadcom 802.11 Wireless Lan Adapter. I have done that. It ends by saying "Set up has finished installing the Broadcom 802.11 software on your computer and has started Broadcom 802.11." I then clicked "Finish" and the Install box went away. So that's where I am. I don't know how to "attach" the driver to a network adapter since the network adapter is gone. Nothing else happens after the Install box goes away.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It worked! It came back after turning off the computer and letting it sit for a bit. The internet connection is restored.

Thanks for your patience zep. What is unknown is whether I'm just back to where I was in the first post, and I'm too tired now to try anymore. At least I got the connection restored.

Thanks zep!! Really appreciate the help.

• zep516
    10 years ago

First of all you don't right click on set up, you double click. You should not need to do anything else, the driver should auto install. You could reboot the machine. Then either try to connect or look for network adapter in device manager.

It looks like it installed so I'd reboot and see what happens, try to connect.

• zep516
    10 years ago

Hi marita40,

Have you made any progress getting the driver installed ?

I downloaded that driver and ended up with this
    {{gwi:1511723}}

On the desktop, so it looks like I could just double click it, I don't want to do it because it will install and mess up my driver. Is that what you got when you downloaded it. Just curious here

This post was edited by zep516 on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 18:20

• grandms
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, that particular HP model seems to have problems with the network adapter going bad. I had the same model, which I gave to my son, and we just finally gave up and bought a cheap USB adapter. Turned off the switch for the onboard adapter and use the USB one. It has worked perfectly for a couple of years.